17 vs 18 in wheels

gwalker

Established Member
Is there any noticable differences in ride quality and/or grip? My car came w 18 and i have been thinking of switching back to 17. Kinda like the look with more sidewall

timspony

TVS Powered
Established Member
I'd personally stick with the 18's since you already have them .... unless you don't like your current wheels!

PRO's with the 17" tires would be the cost....much cheaper! :)

To me, they both ride about the same...good luck

VNMUS03

Established Member
I think 17s are more forgiving depending on profile. My Saleens were 35s and I felt everything compared to 17s.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
My car had 18inch FR500's on when I bought it. I stuck with 18's and now have chrome saleens. I personally think cobras look great with 18's, and should have been an option back in 03-04. My 18's still are 35 series, so sidewall shouldn't be any different.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I'm still running 17s.:rockon::beer:

I had looked at 14" big brake kits but then realized the amount of additional coin I would have to cough up..... Not only for the convertion and the brake kit, but also every time I had to re-skin the darn 18s.

The difference in price was not insignificant, I can only assume it still is.

At track events driver skill and seat time can often prevail over more modern equipment and more generous budgets. When you wear out tires as fast as I do this stuff matters.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Most will probably say the 18s are esthetically more pleasing than the 17s....but you have to be careful and watch the weight of these versus the 17s. Those cheaper, lower end chromed 18s can be extremely heavy, reducing performance. Add in the fact most 18" tires are also heavier than 17s, an you can add significant weight. If you're going to go 18s, you probably want to stick with the upper end manufacturers like TF and CCW that make very light products for their size

oldmodman

Established Member
17's here.

There are so many potholes here in Southern California that 18's or larger would be destroyed in no time.:cuss:

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
17s here and going to stay 17s. I like the cheaper tires and larger selection as well as the lighter weight of the rims and tires. But to each their own.

gwalker

Established Member
Thanks everyone! If i were to switch to 17 it would prob be chrome reps with deep dish on the back

ttk53

Established Member
To answer you question yes you can feel a rid quality difference from 17 to 18's and its not a good one but damn they look nice

Seabiscuit

GIDDY-UP!!!
Established Member
Most will probably say the 18s are esthetically more pleasing than the 17s....but you have to be careful and watch the weight of these versus the 17s. Those cheaper, lower end chromed 18s can be extremely heavy, reducing performance. Add in the fact most 18" tires are also heavier than 17s, an you can add significant weight. If you're going to go 18s, you probably want to stick with the upper end manufacturers like TF and CCW that make very light products for their size

This--and to make matters worse, it is unsprung weight you are potentially adding.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
This--and to make matters worse, it is unsprung weight you are potentially adding.

This and to add more gasoline onto the fire it is rotating mass in a rather larger diameter.

The larger the diameter the rotating mass is located in, the more profound it's negative impact on performance becomes.:nonono:

I felt that whatever performance improvement I picked up in deeper braking zones and longer pad life, would have been lost the the significantly higher rotating mass and the long pad life would have been offset by the higher priced tires.

jrichber

browser
Established Member
When i bought new rims i felt that for performance go with 17", you got rotation and and weight to think about. For me it was more about looks. Not bashing anyones car but a lowered cobra with 17's just looks funny. To me they dont fit the fender to good. I felt that if i was worried about performance i would switch to slicks on a different rim anyway. After going with the 18 i dont feel i lost much for performance though. But then again i dont have times for before and after.

Bruha

Thats what I thought
Established Member
Jimmy I hear ya, but I am pretty sure big brakes would make you smile on the track!

Cost of tires is definitely a concern. I have 18's but I think 17's look fine.

I wish someone made a cool wheels to clear my 14" brakes.

KLLR SNK

Established Member
I have the OEM chrome 17's with BFG KDW's and AFS chrome 18" reps with Conti Extreme Contact DW's. The Conti's are a lot quieter and smoother riding but I haven't tried the boost on them yet and probably won't for a few hundred more miles.

Users who are viewing this thread