14 Billion Settlement for Dieselgate

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Wow, they can pretty much write off the next 5 years of profits. They are going to probably have to sell off a brand or two to survive IMO. Serves them right. As owners, we do what we want to our cars as provate citizens and at risk if we knowingly violate any laws. For VW to outright cheat their emmissions certifications on a production level is rediculous. Let this be a lesson to all manufacturers: greed and lying to sell will bring your company to its knees eventually.

On the bright side, its a good time to buy VW stock on the cheap :D

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
What does paying people 5-10k supposed to do? The "cheat" was providing them with better gas mileage...

Are people able to buy these TDIs on the lots or are they off limits till the fix? Are they going to be cheap? I am for Ford, but if they are cheap, why not. Good commuter car.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
Have to say with the plunge in prices, I've been tempted to grab a TDI as a daily since I am see 14' models for $13k. Seem to scoot nicely with some tuning and mods.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Have to say with the plunge in prices, I've been tempted to grab a TDI as a daily since I am see 14' models for $13k. Seem to scoot nicely with some tuning and mods.

If I hadn't just dropped some cash on getting my wife into an explorer, I would probably be trading my focus in on a clean, low miles one.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
You do know that VW are the owners of Audi and Bugatti right? It is very difficult to cripple a company that big.

Among others, yes. Audi is also affected, and not all companies make VW money. Doesn't bugatti lose tons of money on every car they build?

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
How long would it take VW to make 14 billion dollars in profit in the USA?

Might be better for business just to tell Uncle Sam to go **** himself and leave the USA. Forever. We, the people would be the losers in the end. Those were pretty nice cars.

but then we could also say goodbye to bentleys, lambos, porsches and audis. all of which rely heavily on the US market.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
They are going to probably have to sell off a brand or two to survive IMO.

Lol. They are the largest automaker in the world with assests north of 200 billion dollars. They'll be fine. Cheating the emissions tests was a calculated risk that they lost on.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
In my mind I never understood how all those diesels were clean as they said, I should have done some research and made a bet.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Saw an interview with Bob Lutz a while back where he said GM had tested VW cars and knew they had to be cheating, they just couldn't prove it.

GodStang

Established Member
Have had my TDi new since 2011. Love my 44mpg and here diesel is cheaper than gas. You have to have owned the car sept 18, 2015. You sold before tough. You bought after tough.

Debating taking the money and getting either a new TDi or Ecoboost Stang.

Users who are viewing this thread