13 track pack oil

03dakrt

Established Member
Been doing some reach on the 5w50 the new track pack gt comes with from the factory. I have read a lot of the gt500 guys are running different grades with good success. I plan on driving this car year round and that includes Michigan winters. A 50 grade oil seems like it would be way ton heavy in the winter. Doesn't sound like there is any changes ton the motor just the oil cooler. I am thinking the regular 5w20 or even a 5w30 would be a better fit for me. Dont plan on tracking car much I was really after the torsion diff. What are peoples thoughts?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Moved to a forum where you'll get more thorough answers. If you aren't going to track it a lot I'd go for a premium 5w30.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
talk to unleashedbeast!

I've heard about that guy, where can I find him? :lol1:

A 50 grade oil seems like it would be way ton heavy in the winter.

Motorcraft (unsheared) is too viscous in the summer for a street car. Oil pressure is too high. MC 5W-50 rapidly shears to a light 40 grade lubricant in about 2,000 miles. That's why we adopted a true synthetic 40 grade lubricant in the GT500 community that wouldn't shear and hold the viscosity.

Unless you are road racing the new GT for extended sessions, the 5W-50 recommendation is OVERKILL! The engine would function fine with a lubricant as light as a 5W-20 for grocery getting grandma driving. I'd be more prone to use a true synthetic 30 grade lubricant for street duties, aggressive street driving, and drag racing. Use a true synthetic 40 grade for road racing.

Amsoil AZO 0W-30: street northern winter formulation, better cold flow if you drive year round

Amsoil ATM 10W-30
: southern "hot" street/drag

Amsoil AMO 10W-40: extended session road racing

Amsoil EaO17: oil filter choice (Royal Purple 20-500 is the same filter and a great alternate choice)

Amsoil Preferred Customer: buy everything @ 25% off internet retail prices by signing up

Anything in the 30 or 40 grade offerings in Royal Purple is a great choice/substitute for Amsoil. I prefer their HPS series.

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
For Ford warranty compliance use the recommended 5W-50 Motorcraft.

If warranty compliance is not a pressing issue use the following for a 5.0 GT Track Pack:
Royal Purple SAE 5W-30 (part #01530, quart bottle)(for mainly grocery getter mode)
Royal Purple HPS 5W-30 (part #31530, quart bottle)(for a very significant upgrade in performance and protection)

For Open Track and HPDE/street usage:
Royal Purple HPS 10W-40 (part #31140, quart bottle)

For Road Race/Street useage:
Royal Purple XPR 10W-40 (part #01041, quart bottle)

For maximum horsepower and drag race usage:
Royal Purple XPR 5W-20 (part #01011, quart bottle)
or
Royal Purple HPS 5W-20 (part #31520, quart bottle)

Royal Purple extended life synthetic oil filter part #20-500(available at most Pep Boys or on-line)

Due to Royal Purple HPS being a new product this year, you are not likely to find it on a local store shelf. However a special order can be done at most NAPA stores and in some regions of the USA at your local O’Reilly’s. Also in some regions Advanced Auto, and Carquest may also be able to special order HPS for you.

If getting HPS or RP oil filters locally does not work out it is definitely available and shipping online at:

Lucky7trucks.com: HPS High Performance Street Oil - Lucky 7 Truck Accessories
Summit Racing: Royal Purple at SummitRacing.com: synthetic motor oil, coolant additives, gear lube, transmission fluid, assembly lube & more
Pace Performance: Pace Performance
Amazon.com

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
I'd give Red Line 5W-30 a look if driving includes anything aggressive.

6% NOACK, 3.8 cP HTHS viscosity (basically a light 40-weight), NO polymeric VIIs meaning its essentially shear proof, benefits of polyol ester (metal cling, solubility/cleanliness), 1200 ppm Zn and P, 486 degree flash point, -49 degree pour point.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I'd give Red Line 5W-30 a look if driving includes anything aggressive.

6% NOACK, 3.8 cP HTHS viscosity (basically a light 40-weight), NO polymeric VIIs meaning its essentially shear proof, benefits of polyol ester (metal cling, solubility/cleanliness), 1200 ppm Zn and P, 486 degree flash point, -49 degree pour point.

Have we figured out why the TBN of Red Line depletes so rapidly?

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
Have we figured out why the TBN of Red Line depletes so rapidly?

It only starts out at ~8, still plenty of UOAs showing RL is good for 10K-12K in most cases.

From what I've learned from Terry Dyson and Tom NJ, high percentage ester oils also take a different approach to TBN evaluation. Esters have a natural detergency and the acids they form from "breaking down" aren't the strong corrosive acids produced minerals/PAO, but rather weak organic fatty acids that can actually act as corrosion inhibitors.

There are articles out there on industrial TBN evaluation if you care to look, from what I recall POE based oils are generally taken down to 0.5 reserve TBN while the Group II/III/IV oil are usually only taken down to 2.0. Terry Dyson repeatedly stated that it was safe to take Red Line down to 1.0 or less, and the info I've read seemed to back up his opinion.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Thanks Ben, what you have touched on is what reading research has uncovered for me in the past. Their was one sample of Red Line 5W-50 that had a TBN of less than 3.0 after only 2,000 miles. I was shocked to say the least.

RedLine5W-50UOA2118miles-1.jpg

Last edited:

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
Was the sample retested, could it be lab error? Was a VOA done to disprove this wasn't an out-of-spec batched that somehow slipped through Red Line's QC? Was the same oil run again to establish TBN retention trending? There had to be something really weird going on with that sample.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Was the sample retested, could it be lab error? Was a VOA done to disprove this wasn't an out-of-spec batched that somehow slipped through Red Line's QC? Was the same oil run again to establish TBN retention trending? There had to be something really weird going on with that sample.

A retest was performed and confirmed accurate. No VOA was sampled of this batch to my knowledge. The customer moved on to another lubricant before this oil was tested.

Users who are viewing this thread