13 gt500 state ref - do they check pulley?

claybeatz

Established Member
Was driving last night being a dumbass and loud on a dark road, got reffed. Planning to swap back to stock minus the pulley but stay out of boost and set the monitors, unless they whip out a measuring tape of course.. does anyone know if they do this?

Tia

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i saw them measuring the pulley on my terminator, and the stock cover was even on and covering it. he measured through the slots on the cover to make sure it was 3.65 inches.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
I’d throw the stock pulley on if you have it. The ref doesn’t mess around. That sucks the cop ref’d you. I take it they weren’t a cool cop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Stangra

Established Member
If the tune is any other than loaded from an OEM authorized source that could be a problem? My understanding is even a stock tune from a handheld will get flagged, curious how that goes since I'm coming up on a smog check soon.

claybeatz

Established Member
I’d throw the stock pulley on if you have it. The ref doesn’t mess around. That sucks the cop ref’d you. I take it they weren’t a cool cop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Car was FBO E85 and im just about done putting everything back to stock, it wasn’t too bad. Just doing the midpipe tomorrow and I’m done. I was super chill with the cop just said okay. It’s only for modified exhaust, not for the modified emissions so I may just be getting a DB test but didn’t want to chance it.

Last edited:

claybeatz

Established Member
If the tune is any other than loaded from an OEM authorized source that could be a problem? My understanding is even a stock tune from a handheld will get flagged, curious how that goes since I'm coming up on a smog check soon.
This is the only thing I’m worried about now. One thing is for sure, the car will be 100% stock when I go in to a T, I will let you know if it fails because that means they are judging based on previous flashes not if the car actually was stock when tested.. which is ****ed

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Car was FBO E85 and im just about done putting everything back to stock, it wasn’t too bad. Just doing the midpipe tomorrow and I’m done. I was super chill with the cop just said okay. It’s only for modified exhaust, not for the modified emissions so I may just be getting a DB test but didn’t want to chance it.

oh that's good. if your ticket was only for exhaust (and not for modified emissions controls) then that is all they will test for. they put a db tester down near the tailpipe. i think it can't exceed 90db, which is pretty low. in my case even the tamest aftermarket catback failed the test (flowmaster), so i had to find an oem catback and get retested.

my cop was a dick and wrote me two tickets, one for each.

claybeatz

Established Member
oh that's good. if your ticket was only for exhaust (and not for modified emissions controls) then that is all they will test for. they put a db tester down near the tailpipe. i think it can't exceed 90db, which is pretty low. in my case even the tamest aftermarket catback failed the test (flowmaster), so i had to find an oem catback and get retested.

Hopefully my stock car passes lol I’ve heard of stock cars exceeding that

Stangra

Established Member

For emissions test did you have an OEM installed tune, or have issues from loading one from a handheld?

Stangra

Established Member

You're not wrong, it's very easy to exceed.
For the sake of accuracy the sound level limit is 95dbA.

Vehicle Code 27151:
(a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200). No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system so modified.
(b) For the purposes of exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles with a manufacturer’s gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, a sound level of 95 dbA or less, when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1169 May 1998, complies with this section. Motor vehicle exhaust systems or parts thereof include, but are not limited to, nonoriginal exhaust equipment.

claybeatz

Established Member
Yes the cop asked me if I knew why he pulled me over I said yes I was super loud and apologized he said okay hang tight. Came back with a db meter and asked me to start the car and hold 4k rpm. Even though he was right next to me and not behind the car it was 110db he said the legal limit is 95db.

Stangra

Established Member
i reloaded the stock tune from my sct xcal handheld and it passed. with of course everything else returned back to stock (or stock equivalent)
I hope that works for me, I have a Roush w/an E.O # but it's not a Ford tune and will be loaded from SCT4

Users who are viewing this thread