1200 miles out ot Mickey Thompson Drag radails

rattle_snake

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
1200 miles out of Mickey Thompson Drag radails

MT DR have performed great, but it seems I got less miles that others here. They lasted only 11 months and 1200 miles. No burnouts, just aggressive stop-n-go commuting to work. At $600 a set, thats 50 cents a mile.... My car is just pullied, and makes (only) 480wtq, hooks 1st gear. Is this the price to pay for traction? I keep wiping a thin layer of tire ($50) off the rear bumper.

Last edited:

redrocket16

Established Member
Part of what you might be battling is the brutal heat in Arizona during summer months. I don't have first hand experience with that set of tires but I had a set of Nitto DR's and I felt I got a low lifespan out of them so I went to a non DR and it was a big mistake. Each time I want to drive the car and enjoy it I am remided of that decision. Currently I don't have the $500 to get new rear tires but I am looking forward to getting back to a better gripping tire even if that means lower life of them.

rattle_snake

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
My last set of rubber was 315 NT05 (non-R) and traction was limited even brand new. They were at wear bars at 5k. Drag radails are the only way to go even at this cost.

mgmustang1

Established Member
i have about 5k on mine 275/45/17 and they are almost at wear bars. thats with a few 10 second quarter mile runs on stock wheels.

JuStAkId

Just roll with it
Established Member

b_dike

Established Member
MT DR have performed great, but it seems I got less miles that others here. They lasted only 11 months and 1200 miles. No burnouts, just aggressive stop-n-go commuting to work. At $600 a set, thats 50 cents a mile.... My car is just pullied, and makes (only) 480wtq, hooks 1st gear. Is this the price to pay for traction? I keep wiping a thin layer of tire ($50) off the rear bumper.

I really hope they last longer than that! That's what I plan on running come spring time, and i usually put around 5k a year on the car.

gmtech

Grease Monkey
Established Member
My NT05, non R's, are about smoked. Lasted a little over a year, 6-7K, miles and provided decent traction in the summer. Cool temps they have zero traction, which is to be expected. Thinking of trying the R888's next

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
What psi were you running the Mickeys at?
And I'm with redrocket16. The Arizona sun/heat is probably part of the reason

Look at http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Toyo&tireModel=Proxes+TQ&partnum=135R7PXTQ.
I have about 1500 miles on mine and they still have good tread life (thats with 3 good burnouts). Hoping to get 5k out of them
Pretty good on traction and dont break the bank. Also they were designed for irs cars

I ran the Proxes Tq's (315/35/18) last year and they saw plenty of hard driving, a few donuts/burnouts and had 6k miles on them when I sold my set of wheels. They still had another 4k miles in them easy.

Last edited:

HURTNEM

Well Blow Me Down!!!
Established Member

At your HP level and location I think Toyo R888s will be perfect for you. The roads are so hot in AZ that they'll be heated easily, so they'll handle the power and will definitely last longer than Drag Radials. I personally don't think you'll find a better balance for your scenario.

Tractionless1

Established Member
At your HP level and the fact that you're commuting I'd be looking for another tire. The BFG Rival or Toyo R888 should suit you well. MT's, Nitto NT-05r's, M+H etc. are strictly for hobby cars to drive on nice days and give a romp. I use NT05r's and have another set of street wheels with GY Supercar rears for rain and highway driving.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
wow 1200, that is short. I daily drive on hoosier drag radials and I get like 5k out of each set. but its worth it when pulling up to a light against another muscle car. gotta pay to play!!

safado

bleed'n blue
Established Member
are the TQs anybetter than the NT05Rs? I know the mickeys blow away the nittos in the traction department

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I'm actually happy with the wear on my 275/40/17 ET Streets, their lasting longer than the previous 2 sets of regular Nitto 555 radials I had which SUCKED for traction and life..

itzl0l

Angry Bald Man
Established Member
wow 1200, that is short. I daily drive on hoosier drag radials and I get like 5k out of each set. but its worth it when pulling up to a light against another muscle car. gotta pay to play!!

You daily drive the Hoosier's?? Sheesh.... how does that work in the rain. I have had my NT05r in the rain and did OK but I cant imagine the hoosier lol

Users who are viewing this thread