11.31 Thru the Stock Air Filter:

Jim Vaccaro

Established Member
I as Jay and many others believe more air in more air out with Cold Air Filter

As a matter of fact i was thinking about that young lady's car in Florida '''Rebecca"" they ran with the Stock air box to limit boost when they wanted there boosed car to limit engine airflow

JerryC

Established Member
My 2 cents;
If a CAi will net .2 off your ET, it is well worth the price.
Just compare it to other mods and you'll see it for yourself.

The real problem is proving a .2 gain. A couple of people have done their tests and showed no gain. The other problem is people that sell the CAI's are the ones that sing the praises of a CAi the most.

An independant tuner doing the testing would clear this up. Tune a car to the best the stock airbox can do, and then the best a CAI can do. Take them both to track and run them back to back, swapping each run for a few runs so you dont get one running in better air than the other.

wbt

Banned
I as Jay and many others believe more air in more air out with Cold Air Filter

As a matter of fact i was thinking about that young lady's car in Florida '''Rebecca"" they ran with the Stock air box to limit boost when they wanted there boosed car to limit engine airflow

Forced induction changes everything concerning airflow. N/A, the stock intake works great. Extra momey could be spent on more important things such as better traction. :beer:

Tucker

Sure a dyno will show gains with a open air filter CAI with the hood OPEN.
The problem is there are only a couple dyno cells in the country that can simulate driving at speed. Dynoing hood up is the only fair way to do it. Do some data logging with a CAI like ours that uses the air inlet you you will see near ambiant air temps at speed.
There are also plenty within the community who haven't gained anything at the track on the same day, similar conditions and runs.

What has been noted with aftermarket CAI's is the IAT's are much hotter at stop vs. the stock intake and the performance gains just aren't there at the track.
I have tested this several times as well and what you will see is the IAT's raise quicker with "most" CAI's over the stock box, but the stock box does indeed heat soak and temps go up as well. Now the fun part, the temps drop faster with the CAI Vs the airbox, not several minutes like you previously posted. More like seconds, just use a Aeroforce gauge and you can see it real time.
What you list as "factors" at the track fall within the margin of error which apply to the stock or aftermarket CAI.

Huh, it a CAI is worth 15 HP and roughly .2-.3 at the track how do you accurately measure that at the track? You don't. Too many variables. Hey, it all adds up right? 10 here, 15 there.

For those wanting a dyno queen maybe a CAI is in order for them. Those of us who prefer track times and could care less about form over function will stick with the stock CAI. :rockon:

My aftermarket CAI is going up for sale as-soon-as I get the FRPP Boss coupler and hose kit in this week.

Sorry, if the powers there on the graph it's there, you just need to get it to the ground.
If the tune is effecting the new power in lower gears, more tuning is in order, not finger pointing.

Shaun, did you use the 87mm or 100mm kit?
Either way, can that small filter feed a 430 RWHP car?
I don't doubt it was starving for air:lol:.
It looks like the hood shuts on the filter and only give is a small area of air to suck from.

Get a real intake on this thing and let's see what happens.:beer:

acrbill

Established Member
Just to add something here. I pulled my filter when I first took my car to the track. The car bucked terribly out of the hole and caused all sorts of issues. I put the filter back in and the car was back to normal.

Shaun@AED

Sorry, if the powers there on the graph it's there, you just need to get it to the ground.
If the tune is effecting the new power in lower gears, more tuning is in order, not finger pointing.

It looks like the hood shuts on the filter and only give is a small area of air to suck from.

100MM kit.

I logged Maff Frequency and saw increased airflow with the WMS kit over the stock air filter. 44lb/min @6500 with the stock filter, 47lb/min @6500 with the WMS. 3rd gear street pull with slicks. 2 days apart, Stock intake IAT 69, WMS 77.

Again, it's not that the CAI's don't make power, it's a matter of the programming not allowing the power to get to the ground.

wbt

Banned

100% disagree with your rebuttal.

1. I have monitored IAT's with my aftermarket CAI and yes it takes close to a minute to reach close to ambient temps. This was monitored in the summer with temps 90°+.
2. Your methodology on the dyno with the hood open is fail. Regardless how much airflow is available, with the hood closed, your cai will get the same airflow as stock. The main difference is your cai will heat soak faster therefore putting it at a disadvantage. This is why we always see dyno pulls with the hood open. Pay no mind to the man behind the curtain.
3. Independant, community, non-biased testing has shown 0 gains at the track. Same tune used minus the MAF transfer function modified for the larger MAF area.

You are right about claims being thrown around, they need to be scrutinized.

Users who are viewing this thread