1,900 miles in two days to drive new GT350 home...

Twinpwr

Established Member
I was trying to arrange enclosed transport from the Midwest to Seattle, but kept getting run around despite trying three different options in succession.

Last Wednesday I decided to fly out and get her...flew red-eye out Friday morning at 1am with my step-Dad...got First Class so took full advantage of free drinks to send me into sleep mode knowing I had big drive coming.

We arrived at the dealership at 10am on Friday and were on the road by 10:30am. Our path was Iowa:South Dakota:Wyoming:Montana:Idaho:Washington - we drove 700 miles on day 1 and 1,200 on day 2 (new record for me). We rotated very 2 hours which was a great cadence. My step-Dad is one of first to order MY17 Corvette Grand Sport and he used to teach racing school in Seattle so he knows cars.

We drove the car in variable mode for first 500 miles and steadily pushed the car from there. I've owned some fast cars, but this car without question is the best and most balanced of all (including my GTR). I love how much smaller it is than previous models, much more of sports car and it feels lighter and more nimble. All the driver modes are cool, seats are comfortable, etc. so far I've only hit 8K once and had the car up to 115 mph, felt like I was doing 80 as the car handles speed very well. Oh, and that sound it makes...it's my new drug.

If I had any criticisms they include not having a softer spring settling like comfort for bad roads (car gets a little hoppy at times), the speakers suck unless running music from my iPhone (easy to solve), and the factory left one of the tabs on front driver side outside of it's slot (see picture).

IMG_7984.JPG
IMG_8039.JPG
IMG_8012.JPG

I'm dropping it off in the morning to have windows and lights tinted, XPEL clear bra, and Opticoat wax treatment applied. I'll throw up some pics when she's done.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Beautiful car. Stealthy color, especially at night.

Did law enforcement show any interest during your ride home?

IM3CPO

Established Member
Mine shows up in a couple weeks

Nice car!

I am from Minnesota originally but now live out in Seattle (moved out here about 8 years ago). I made that same drive more than once and while the length of time is a bit much if going solo, its definitely very scenic! Much nicer having a second driver to take off some of the load. My GT350 is supposed to show up in a couple weeks. Really looking forward to it!

Congrats again on the car!

CO Mack

Established Member
I drove mine home about 1900mi too, but solo. It was a great drive. Congratulations!

Zemedici

Established Member
Good lord - that's a 'break-in'! And that tab on the bumper is sad, considering it made it through QC. :nono:

Anyway congrats on the new beast! Any other mods planned?

Twinpwr

Established Member
Beautiful car. Stealthy color, especially at night.

Did law enforcement show any interest during your ride home?

Actually did not see s single radar trap and literally saw one cruiser going other direction. We were pretty tame and steady at 85mph.

Good lord - that's a 'break-in'! And that tab on the bumper is sad, considering it made it through QC. :nono:

Anyway congrats on the new beast! Any other mods planned?

Not immediately, I'll wait until I get bored with stock lol.

Nice! Hope to see it around

Thanks, I like hitting RTC exotics on Saturday morning, saw and met owner of #37/37 2015 GT350 R

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How did your step dad like it?

He really liked it and he's very honest and normally critical. He was impressed, he really pushed it on twisties going through Idaho...we were only car and switching lanes at every corner.

Congrats and Enjoy!

Thanks!

cluscher

Established Member
Hey, congrats! I love the stealth look. I was at a toss up between mag and DIB stripe delete. I went with DIB, and the car should be loaded up on a hauler by the end of the week to Seattle from PA. I couldn't make that drive. I'd have to rush home and wouldn't have the time to enjoy it. Hopefully I'll have the car by the weekend after next. Do you do any track driving? I'm an instructor for a few of the car clubs up here, so I'm out there quite a bit. Who knows, maybe I know your stepdad?

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
... I love how much smaller it is than previous models...

Previous models of what? The S550 is the largest Mustang to date. The roof line is not quite as tall as the S197, but every other exterior dimension is bigger. Anyways, congrats!

Cobra(ed) Up

Established Member
Previous models of what? The S550 is the largest Mustang to date. The roof line is not quite as tall as the S197, but every other exterior dimension is bigger. Anyways, congrats!

Actually, the S550 is smaller than last gen, not the smallest ever. I thought the same thing when I first read it. But it is smaller. 2014 mustangs were
189″ L x 74″ W x 56″ H. The 2015 mustangs are 188″ L x 75″ W x 54-55″ H. The 2004 mustangs were 183-184″ L x 73″ W x 53″ H

Last edited:

93oh

Established Member
Broken in now drop oil. Must've been a great ride!! I have 1500 on mine. Love it.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Actually, the S550 is smaller than last gen, not the smallest ever. I thought the same thing when I first read it. But it is smaller. 2014 mustangs were
189″ L x 74″ W x 56″ H. The 2015 mustangs are 188″ L x 75″ W x 54-55″ H. The 2004 mustangs were 183-184″ L x 73″ W x 53″ H

Not to nitpick, but:

S550
Length 188.3 in (4,784 mm)
Width 75.4 in (1,916 mm)
Height 54.4 in (1,381 mm)

S197 (2010 - 2014)
Length 188.1 in (4,780 mm)
Width 73.9 in (1,880 mm)
Height 55.6 in (1,410 mm) (Coupe)

S197 (2007 - 2009)
Length 187.6 in (4,770 mm)
Width 73.8 in (1,870 mm)
Height 54.5 in (1,380 mm)

The 1971 Mach 1 might be the most ginormous of them all, though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread