04 Cobra vs 07 BMW M5

SRT-8

Established Member
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-ew-WgbawE&feature=related"]YouTube - M5 E60 Launch Control[/ame]

C6 Vette

Established Member
Because they are both 500hp, 120mph+ trap speed cars but superior gearing and faster shifting for the M6.

800lbs on a good day. .34 cd vs. .32 for the M6 - which is insignificant when talking about trap speeds for these cars, even taking into consideration frontal area.

Drag co-efficiency is every bit significant when trap speeds come into play....

Less wind resistance equates into less force holding the vehicle back in turn allows for the vehicle to achieve a higher speed (providing you have the power to get it up there)...simple physics..

A good comparo to me is a GT500...It weighs in at 3900lbs (100 lbs less than M5/M6) is rated at 500bhp, completely dominates the M's in low end torque, yet runs mid 12's and traps in the mid teens.......So please don't tell me that a M5/M6 is trapping 5-7 mph faster soley due to the faster shifts in the 7 speed tranny.....

Common

Established Member
Because they are both 500hp, 120mph+ trap speed cars but superior gearing and faster shifting for the M6.

800lbs on a good day. .34 cd vs. .32 for the M6 - which is insignificant when talking about trap speeds for these cars, even taking into consideration frontal area.

M6 traps in the 120's?

Common

Established Member

M6 traps in the 120's?:lol:

113-115 is the norm.

Last edited:

chitowncobra

Established Member
Frankly - I think it is pretty cool that our Cobras that are now 5 years old can outrun or at least give a run to BMW's flagship M5.........with some simple bolt-on mods.

Just like most guys on here - I am biased of course. I changed the oil in mine yesterday and for some reason had some new appreciation for what the car was in 03 and continues to be today.
+++1000 after being 5 years old i looked at my car today and thank god i bought this amazing car!!!everyone who owns 03/04 cobra should get the book-IRON FIST LEAD FOOT!!! it tells of a amazing story of John Colletti and everyone at SVT,how our car was built!!! 03/04 cobras!! svt raised the bar and set benchmarks until this day these cars are still insanely fast w/standard bolt ons after five years later!!! everyone buy the book!!!:read::read::):)

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
+++1000 after being 5 years old i looked at my car today and thank god i bought this amazing car!!!everyone who owns 03/04 cobra should get the book-IRON FIST LEAD FOOT!!! it tells of a amazing story of John Colletti and everyone at SVT,how our car was built!!! 03/04 cobras!! svt raised the bar and set benchmarks until this day these cars are still insanely fast w/standard bolt ons after five years later!!! everyone buy the book!!!:read::read::):)
+69 i love my car, i will never sell it knock on wood.

Deuuuce

Established Member
Drag co-efficiency is every bit significant when trap speeds come into play....

Less wind resistance equates into less force holding the vehicle back in turn allows for the vehicle to achieve a higher speed (providing you have the power to get it up there)...simple physics..

A good comparo to me is a GT500...It weighs in at 3900lbs (100 lbs less than M5/M6) is rated at 500bhp, completely dominates the M's in low end torque, yet runs mid 12's and traps in the mid teens.......So please don't tell me that a M5/M6 is trapping 5-7 mph faster soley due to the faster shifts in the 7 speed tranny.....

Wrong. It has absolutely nothing to do with it when the .cd is that close between the two cars. And if you still think it does - advantage M6.

Okay - the GT500. Yep, a better comparison. The M6 definitely IS more aerodynamically efficient, faster shifting and unquestionably superior gearing. Best trap speed ever recorded seems to be 117mph. 121mph doesn't seem so far fetched for the M6.

Deuuuce

Established Member
M6 traps in the 120's?:lol:

113-115 is the norm.

What norm? What is your source? Average drivers in 6M cars?
Drag times: http://www.dragtimes.com/results.php?resultpage=1&carmodel=112&data1=100&op1=>=&data2=1000&op2=<=&search2=et&days=10000000&stock=&resultsperpage=10&carmake=5
C&D 121mph
R&T 118mph
and sadly, MT: 114.7 and 114.9 mph

Last edited:

707svt

Venom Feeder
Established Member
Vid wont be out till my car is out the shop bout another week or so and Ill start a new one posted with vid, this thread can go to bed I was just ask n what guys would think of the out come.

Common

Established Member
What norm? What is your source? Average drivers in 6M cars?
Drag times: http://www.dragtimes.com/results.php?resultpage=1&carmodel=112&data1=100&op1=>=&data2=1000&op2=<=&search2=et&days=10000000&stock=&resultsperpage=10&carmake=5
C&D 121mph
R&T 118mph
and sadly, MT: 114.7 and 114.9 mph

So because drag times had two that barely cracked 120's(THEY WERE NOT STOCK EITHER), that means they run that in general?

redfire03 svt

Established Member
I ran a 2002 M5 in my fox, and made it look like it was going in reverse on the hwy. He had a catback, drop in K&N's and alot of suspension work done.

primetime

Established Member
I don't believe it. An M6 traps 120+. I highly doubt a GT with full bolt ons traps even near that.

Neither the E60 M5 nor the E63 M6 trap 120+ stock. Best I have seen was 116+ and that was at Norwalk(great track) on a cool fall day were the DA was extremely low(don't remember it exactly but have it written on my slips at home)

As for a bolton GT not being able to beat one.... it would be rare but possible. I haven't had any problems with the couple that I have run stop light to stop light.... I wouldn't have a chance on the highway after 130, mostly because of gearing. Of course my lowly GT is blown which most don't consider a bolt on. later Ron

C6 Vette

Established Member
Wrong. It has absolutely nothing to do with it when the .cd is that close between the two cars. And if you still think it does - advantage M6.

Okay - the GT500. Yep, a better comparison. The M6 definitely IS more aerodynamically efficient, faster shifting and unquestionably superior gearing. Best trap speed ever recorded seems to be 117mph. 121mph doesn't seem so far fetched for the M6.

.28 for the C6
.32 for the M6
.38 for the Shelby

You emphasize that the drag between the GT 500 and the M6 is'nt even close (.06 difference)...But then go on to say that a .04 difference between a C6 and M6 is close?...

C6 Vette

Established Member
So because drag times had two that barely cracked 120's(THEY WERE NOT STOCK EITHER), that means they run that in general?

I looked it up, and I did'nt see one single stock M6 come close to the 120mph mark...I agree, mid teens is on point with these cars

Users who are viewing this thread