04 cobra boosta pump for E85?

01yellercobra

Established Member
I've been following an online class on the Holley. Like everything, it has decent stuff and stuff that doesn't make sense to me. But I like the guy and a lot of what he teaches carries over to the other systems as well.

I've actually tuned a couple different stand alones. They pretty much all do the same thing. They just have different names or slightly different ways of doing the same thing.

Personally I wouldn't run a Holley because it doesn't have an option for a MAF. I started with my car in speed density and it just does better with the MAF. Plus it cuts down on tuning time. My son's car is still SD and it did pretty good, but we're going to throw a MAF in it eventually.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I made 714/680 with E85 on Twin GT Pumps, Fore Hat, BAP, Upgraded Wiring, -8 fuel line, dual FPDM's, and 80# FRPP Injectors with a Gen2 Whipple 2.3 at 22 psi.

That set up was done in 2009 and the pumps were installed in 2006. It's still running today and works flawless.

725 is about the limit for this setup as I was around 85-86 Duty Cycle on Pumps and Injectors with a FP of 50 psi commanded.

At the time I installed it, 2006, there was not much around so that's what I went with.

That being said, I would go full return now if given the option.

Oh, and Hellcat pumps can NOT be run in a returnless system.

LT1BIRD

Established Member
sleeper... yes through my reserch i saw you running my same setup.. but with 80 injectors... do you think a bit larger fuel pumps and 1000 injectors I could do 700whp and spray it dry for another 100?

hatchke

Established Member
sleeper... yes through my reserch i saw you running my same setup.. but with 80 injectors... do you think a bit larger fuel pumps and 1000 injectors I could do 700whp and spray it dry for another 100?

I was running out of injector w/ E85 on my 80lbs right around the 700whp mark at 50psi base pressure. I can't recall my the duty cycle off the top of my head now, but Blankenship didn't want to push them harder. I'm running dual 465's with lethals budget plus fuel setup.

We could have cranked up the base pressure a bit and squeezed some more power but I didn't want to redo the 93 tune or push injectors too hard. In hindsight I should have just bought some 1050x at least and called it a day.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Problem is with a bit larger pump on a returnless style system. The GT Pumps are about as big as I would want to run due to the limitations of the FPDM's and stock ECU. At that point, it would be better just to go with a Fore L1E kit and be done with it. With 2 (450) pumps.

I would sell the setup you have to a stock blower or ported blower guy and use that $$$ to help pay the cost of the new Return setup.

Fuel is not something you want to skimp on. A good fuel system is a lot cheaper than a new motor.

Just my $.02

LT1BIRD

Established Member
Sleeper... now that all makes sense and I will switch to return. With my setup right now... can i use my -8 feedline now and run a -6 or -8 return for my 800hp max goal?
I plan on dead heading the return setup using a crossover line at the end of the rails. Its a show car and I really dont want the lines running all over the place.. what pumps do i need for 800hp? will they fit in the 36mm fore hat housing or do i just bore that housing out a few mm... what injectors should I buy and do they plug right into the stock connectors like my ford 60's do now? Thanks for the help guys!!

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I would go -8 for the return line and then all the fittings are the same size. Makes it easy that way. Dead head will work just fine. I would go with the Walbro 267 pumps as they are a very common pump for many platforms of vehicles and will be easy to find in the future if you ever need to replace one. You will need a new hat and Fore will only sell the hat with the pumps installed. I can get you some if you need. Then I would just sell your hat with the pumps and everything for someone else.

For injectors, I would go ID1050X's. I can get these as well and they do plug in to the factory plugs with no adapters needed and tune perfectly.

tporter67

Established Member
I would go -8 for the return line and then all the fittings are the same size. Makes it easy that way. Dead head will work just fine. I would go with the Walbro 267 pumps as they are a very common pump for many platforms of vehicles and will be easy to find in the future if you ever need to replace one. You will need a new hat and Fore will only sell the hat with the pumps installed. I can get you some if you need. Then I would just sell your hat with the pumps and everything for someone else.

For injectors, I would go ID1050X's. I can get these as well and they do plug in to the factory plugs with no adapters needed and tune perfectly.
How does deadheading with a return system work? Do you just run the feed line to the rails and the return line off of the regulator? I haven't heard of a "deadhead return" before.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
How does deadheading with a return system work? Do you just run the feed line to the rails and the return line off of the regulator? I haven't heard of a "deadhead return" before.
fuel_diagram-png.145601

Simple diagram. #1 is dead head #2 is traditional full loop. Downside with #2 is heating the fuel. Never had an issue with either. #1 I'd easier to hide the regulator in the fender, less heat and visible lines. Not great if you run that fender into something though.

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
Mine is deadheaded with stock rails. My fore fuel system came with a fitting to use on the rail. Super easy.

LT1BIRD

Established Member
I am gonna dead head it for the pure reason of engine bay clutter..I dont have much room. I will add the crossover line -4AN between the 2 rail ends... I think the flow is the exact same as a normal return setup... HP wise...

hatchke

Established Member
Yep. I think the only downside to the deadhead set up might an occasional extended cranking. And by extended I mean a second or two.

I experience the very same. It takes a second of the car to get started up, partially due to E85 but I assume also in part to the deadhead setup i'm running too. I don't really plan on changing it up either, even with my planning upcoming changes.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I experience the very same. It takes a second of the car to get started up, partially due to E85 but I assume also in part to the deadhead setup i'm running too. I don't really plan on changing it up either, even with my planning upcoming changes.
I'm sure it's the combo. I have mine set up to start pretty decent. It's still a little grumpy in the cold weather when on E85. But on pump it fires right up.

Last edited:

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
Mine is only slow staring on cold starts. Even if I let my pumps run for a bit to build pressure. If it even slight warm and ran within the hour or two, it starts right up. Doesn’t bother me in the slightest.

Users who are viewing this thread