03 Terminator at Willow Springs Raceway

CSCOBRA03

Established Member
I went to Willow on Oct. 28-29th 2023 to do an open track event with COCOA ( Cobra Owners Club of Orange County) . It was a cool weekend, morning temps about 45 degrees warming to the high 60's in the afternoon. The track was just resurfaced and was awesome except for some bad washboarding in turn 3 & 5 , and was also very hard on tires. My tire had quite a few track event on them but still looked fair to me, but after 5 sessions the left front was worn to the belt in a few spots. I guess that the track had a cheese grater effect on the tires. With that said I had a great weekend with no issues and was able to drive it onto the trailer and head home to Utah.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Looks like you had a great, safe time at Willow Springs, Curt. Thanks for posting the video!

Morgan

Established Member
Great video sir. Can you tell us what you've done to your car for these events?

blk02edge

Established Member
Cool to see a Terminator on a track. Can't help myself from mentioning hands need to stay at 9&3 though.

CSCOBRA03

Established Member
Great video sir. Can you tell us what you've done to your car for these events?
I actually did some suspension work, the usual , MM strut plates, bumpsteer kit, steering rack bushings, cobraR 4 piston brakes ( Brembo) , H&R race springs, as well as Nitro NT01 track tires. I almost forgot I duct air to the front brakes as well. Also a larger intercooler front heat exchanger and upgraded pump. A 2.93 fully and a conservative tune. The truth said it's all about tires and brakes on a road race track.

Morgan

Established Member
I actually did some suspension work, the usual , MM strut plates, bumpsteer kit, steering rack bushings, cobraR 4 piston brakes ( Brembo) , H&R race springs, as well as Nitro NT01 track tires. I almost forgot I duct air to the front brakes as well. Also a larger intercooler front heat exchanger and upgraded pump. A 2.93 fully and a conservative tune. The truth said it's all about tires and brakes on a road race track.

If you ever decide to sell this car, the buyer will get a really well sorted examole. Very nice!

Last edited:

CSCOBRA03

Established Member
Wondering what cooling mods and how it does cooling wise.
Cooling on terminators can be an issue for sure. I made a few mistakes with the cooling system upgrades. Here is what I currently run now and it works well for 25 min track sessions. I now run the stock terminator radiator which I sealed off so air must travel through it and for track days I change out my hood to a modified V-6 hood with a big vent in it. I have a video of the hood mod. My car never gets over 235 degrees even when it's 100 degrees at the track. The big mistake I made was a three row aluminum radiator. I didn't understand about heat transfer. Air must pass through the radiator, and a thick radiator in a Terminator won't get adequate air flow too cool. If you use a 3 row radiator you would need a larger cooling fan (more com) that's properly shrouded. The front opening on a terminator doesn't have the opening to support the airflow needed. Ford spent a ton of engineering time on the 2020 GT-500 to create the airflow needed to cool that beast. I hope that helps answer your question.

Users who are viewing this thread