03 KB Cobra with low dyno numbers

OH3 Cobra

Established Member
Whats up everyone? So I wanted to explain my setup for some possible feedback. I just bought an 03 Cobra from a friend who had all the work done but was not tuned properly. It's a 4v with a stock cobra crank, forged steel rods, cp mod max pistons, stock heads with stage 3 cams and a Kenne Bell 2.8 at 22 lbs of boost. T56 trans and a solid 8.8 rear with a 3.55 gear with 325/50/15's. So I had the car re tuned on a dynojet and it only made 530hp/532tq. There have been stock pullied cobras that can make those numbers. I've had the car at the track and it runs pretty consistent low 11's @ 125. Does this seem right, I know driving can be a factor for track times but hp #'s seem low, even the tuner thought so, but the car really pulls hard. Any info might help. Thanks

racebronco2

Established Member
Whats up everyone? So I wanted to explain my setup for some possible feedback. I just bought an 03 Cobra from a friend who had all the work done but was not tuned properly. It's a 4v with a stock cobra crank, forged steel rods, cp mod max pistons, stock heads with stage 3 cams and a Kenne Bell 2.8 at 22 lbs of boost. T56 trans and a solid 8.8 rear with a 3.55 gear with 325/50/15's. So I had the car re tuned on a dynojet and it only made 530hp/532tq. There have been stock pullied cobras that can make those numbers. I've had the car at the track and it runs pretty consistent low 11's @ 125. Does this seem right, I know driving can be a factor for track times but hp #'s seem low, even the tuner thought so, but the car really pulls hard. Any info might help. Thanks

22lbs is really high for pump gas since you didn't mention race gas. What type of dyno was it? What's the timing at? Did the tuner have an suggestions to why the power was low? Can youi post a dyno sheet?

OH3 Cobra

Established Member
22lbs is really high for pump gas since you didn't mention race gas. What type of dyno was it? What's the timing at? Did the tuner have an suggestions to why the power was low? Can youi post a dyno sheet?

Yes it's on a pump gas tune and I'm not sure about the timing. It was dynoed on a Dyno Jet and the tuner made about 4 pulls adding/pulling timing to see where it made the most power. He cleaned the tune a lot from what is was when I got the car. The only other thing was maybe the tires throw it off? I dont know a lot about the tuning sorry guys. :shrug:

vladSVT

KB FTW
Established Member
Not really sure how can you "throw" more timing on 22psi on pump gas, sounds like not a very good tuner to me. I would never run 22 on pump unless the timing was crazy low or I had meth

I would personally either lower the boost down (18-19psi) and have it retuned, even THEN on a good tune you should see around 600rwhp especially with a 2.8 kenne bell AND cams!

bambinov8

600WHP LOL
Established Member
Who's is tuning your car ? :( go to Matt @ kesatie if you in the west coast !!! 22 psi on pump gas is just no bueno .

vadorsnake04

Established Member
Yes those numbers you are making are extremely low! I made 753rwhp with 110 octane on 22.5 psi and 802rwhp with E85 on 22.5psi. Both when i still had my kb2.8h. With your motor combo your should be anywhere between 700-750rwhp.

OH3 Cobra

Established Member
sorry to ruin a thread i will contribute after this post. But is that really mystic z28's mom in your sig pic lol?

I don't know Mystic z28 but if thats his mom, dayyyyuuuuum! Sorry Im easily sidetracked but yeah I may try to reach out to Kesatie agan, So basically 22lbs is to much boost for pump even on a built bottom end?

vadorsnake04

Established Member
lmao!

22lbs isnt necessarily too much boost for pump gas as long as you are keeping the timing real low.

OH3 Cobra

Established Member
What type of fuel system are you running?

Returnless, I can run E85 if I change the injectors, already has twin ford gt pumps and -8 fuel lines but E85 is not available in tampa yet so I either run pump or look into race gas which will be a lot more in fuel but you gotta pay if you wanna play. :D

Quick Strike

Established Member
Returnless, I can run E85 if I change the injectors, already has twin ford gt pumps and -8 fuel lines but E85 is not available in tampa yet so I either run pump or look into race gas which will be a lot more in fuel but you gotta pay if you wanna play. :D

You could run Torco with 93 octane and make a lot more power with 22#.

OH3 Cobra

Established Member
Yes those numbers you are making are extremely low! I made 753rwhp with 110 octane on 22.5 psi and 802rwhp with E85 on 22.5psi. Both when i still had my kb2.8h. With your motor combo your should be anywhere between 700-750rwhp.

This!! That's what I'm looking for. Bottom line is I will be talking with another tuner at least to get some more info. I appreciate the feedback from everyone. :rockon:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread