03 cobra turbo big block setup need help

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
Twinturbo4vgt- my concen now is that I'll be making too much power lol my target range is 650-750 at the wheels I just called my guy and he's on a conference call. What do you suggest as a setup to stay in that range? I know that I want a turbo setup and nothing else will change my mind but how do I stay in my target range?

Honestly to stay in that range you could do a 427 with a turbo around 10psi. I wouldn't go any bigger if you don't want to make ridiculous power. Plus 427s are dirt cheap.

Last edited:

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
Well then if your only looking to make that you don't even need a turbo. You should make that N/A no problem with a set of heads, cam and a good carbuerator

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Well then if your only looking to make that you don't even need a turbo. You should make that N/A no problem with a set of heads, cam and a good carbuerator

Yep!:thumbsup:

The instant torque and throttle response of a stout big inch big block should make for a very predictable and controllable power curve.

Though often accused of being slow to rev, engines built and tuned right in this category have so much "off idle" torque that they deliver big usable power with just a crack of the throttle.

01SN8K

In Hawaii
Established Member
What are the suspension mods? Just curious since this is going to be a purpose built car. You are already deep into the car motorwise, so if you do the BB, maybe see what it does N/A. Drop it in and make some test runs with the car. See how the car handles and if needed, tweak the suspension if you like the BB's N/A power. Save the money that would have gone to a turbo and finish out the suspension.

supa snake23

Established Member
well ill get straight to the point. i have a 03 cobra that was stolen and recovered insurance wouldnt pay for what was stolen so after months and months of having the car sit with no motor trans or rear i decided that i wanted to do a turbo big block. i have a 472 h-beam rods and forged pistons. the problem im having is that not very many people do this so if anybody could help out with info about a good rear and trans setup maybe anything else i might need to know that would be great.

p.s. i also need a rear trans front bumper seats and rear spoiler if anybody has these items for sale as well as a turbo

Id give jon kaase a call. Ive hear he knows his stuff as far as big block fords. He redid the famous boss 429 and put it in what was i believe an 07 mustang

yank_iT

Established Member
You can still run a turbo and make that power or close to it.......just run the turbo on the car but don't hook up the discharge of the turbo to the engine. Still makes cool noises and you won't make a million horses!

MGC

Established Member
You can still run a turbo and make that power or close to it.......just run the turbo on the car but don't hook up the discharge of the turbo to the engine. Still makes cool noises and you won't make a million horses!

:??::dw:

OP as others have stated, I'd start with a N/A motor, you should have no problem making 650 to 700 hp on a big block.

CowlHood

Established Member
Id give jon kaase a call. Ive hear he knows his stuff as far as big block fords. He redid the famous boss 429 and put it in what was i believe an 07 mustang

^^ this, bad ass motor right there; although if if I had no budget I'd go with a 427 from nelson racing engines. But either route is gonna be very expensive, maybe just a smaller boosted 4.6 or a 5.0 motor, then throw the rest at supporting mods?

Last edited:

Hkaiser83

I am Captain Dynaball.
Established Member
When someone comes on wanting help with making a goal a reality why does everyone try to change the goal like it's their own personal project? If he wants to do something silly either sit it out or help!

AJE Racing makes the needed K-members and transmission crossmembers for a big block and th400 setup or really whatever you have in mind.

AJE Racing - Anthony Jones Engineering - Racing Suspensions

I almost did a conversion similar to this when my old 03 had computer problems after I did E85 and a Whipple 3.4 crusher...almost decided to scrap the whole computer and drivetrain so I could dump something simpler in it. I happen to think a 03/04 Cobra with a giant blower stack coming out of the hood would look pretty fricken wicked!

As far as the rear end setup goes, the Ford 8.8 should handle it just fine. Just get the 9" ends welded on and the needed supports and axles and GO! Any decent driveshaft shop should be able to get you the needed yokes and driveshaft to make that part work as well. All in all, a simple conversion.

You could pay some fab guy on the side to make you a simple dash instrument plate to house autometer gauges. Get a complete Painless wiring kits to do the wiring for the big block and presto.

Last edited:

FSUstang

>>=;=====>
Established Member
After getting to attend a few drift events and talking with the pros, I would suggest keeping your original plan of the turbo big block, that way you can adjust boost on the fly, because you may only need that 675hp on one track, but another track with a higher entrance speed into turn one may require more power to get the angle you need to smoothly slide through the whole corner. No amount of power is too much when it comes to drifting. Daigo Saito has a 900hp 2JZ in his Lexus that he hits with an additional 300hp worth of nitrous.

As far as trannys go, I would recommend going with a NASCAR style 4 speed if you can afford it; tall gears, and a proven bulletproof design.

For the rear, that 9 inch is gonna do you just fine, but I know Vaughn Gittin and Justin Pawlak have a quick change capability with theirs to allow for expedient ratio changes to cope with different tracks and scenarios.

In terms of balance, that motor should do you just fine if you mount up most of your external components in the rear (battery, intercooler, radiator if you can, etc.) Terminators make great drift cars out of the box, so if you can keep the balance close to stock, you wont have any problems.

Hope this was helpful. And props to you for sliding this car man, I'm gonna be right there with you after I graduate.

Legitwerks

Established Member
well guys after so much needed deliberation and talking to experts pro drifters rookies blah blah blah ive decided to stick out the n/a setup for at least one season to see how it goes thank you everytbody for the advice and input whether its what i wanted to hear or not. and FSUstang pm me we have some things to discuss lol

stagedz

Cobra Convert
Established Member
My question is what kind of crap insurance company doesn't pay for the motor and transmission...i have never ever heard of that happening unless you only had liability.

Users who are viewing this thread