03 cobra turbo big block setup need help

Legitwerks

Established Member
well ill get straight to the point. i have a 03 cobra that was stolen and recovered insurance wouldnt pay for what was stolen so after months and months of having the car sit with no motor trans or rear i decided that i wanted to do a turbo big block. i have a 472 h-beam rods and forged pistons. the problem im having is that not very many people do this so if anybody could help out with info about a good rear and trans setup maybe anything else i might need to know that would be great.

p.s. i also need a rear trans front bumper seats and rear spoiler if anybody has these items for sale as well as a turbo

mach1033

Established Member
Man is this gonna cost you$$$$$ I would stick with a 4.6 or the boss 5.0 and go from there. Your gonna pay an arm and a leg for a build like this.

kbroush

Established Member
I agree with mach1033. Stick with the modular engine. Its way cheaper in the long run. I was going to build a 557 big block efi engine for my old mustang and the price is astronomical to drop something like that in a mustang to do it the right way. I know you get the wow factor of having something different under the hood but you will pay for it. And if you do a turbo everything will have to be custom made for it. Either way you go would be a cool route, one will just cost you way more.

Legitwerks

Established Member
mach and roush thanks and i do know that its going to cost a pretty penny but my motor will be paid for at the end of the month so im kind of already in it and if i change my mind one more time my wifes gonna kill me lol. this is somthing ive always wanted to do and i have a good friend at c and c motorsports in manassas va thats behind me so i think im going to push forward.

JP_Stang

Established Member
I don't know how much power you plan to put down, but I am going to go out on a limb and say it will be a substantial amount?:burnout:

With the amount of power you will be getting into I would think you would need no less than a C4 tranny and you might want to look into building a 9" rearend. Obviously you will have to go automatic because I don't think many of us, if any of us could keep up with the shifts when talking about the potential power you will be making. Maybe even a powerglide??

Legitwerks

Established Member
This is actually my drift setup for next season so auto is not an option. As of right now I'm leaning towards either a fully built t56 or a built tr6060. More so towards the 6060. As for the rear c and c performance in manassas va is already putti g together a 9in setup for me with an eaton posi.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Have you looked into a Richmond transmission? IIRC they have a good choice of gears so you could set it up to your motor.

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
well ill get straight to the point. i have a 03 cobra that was stolen and recovered insurance wouldnt pay for what was stolen so after months and months of having the car sit with no motor trans or rear i decided that i wanted to do a turbo big block. i have a 472 h-beam rods and forged pistons. the problem im having is that not very many people do this so if anybody could help out with info about a good rear and trans setup maybe anything else i might need to know that would be great.

p.s. i also need a rear trans front bumper seats and rear spoiler if anybody has these items for sale as well as a turbo

your going to need a lot more than an H beam to hold any sort of power you want to put down with a turbo. You are going to need a callies crank, or a dragonslayer with billet I beams and some good pistons, because with a 472 youll be making easily over 1300hp to the tires with that.

As for the difficulty of install it is actually easier than installing a modular due to the size.. I threw in my 565BBF in my car to see how it would fit and it bolted right up to my K member, no modifications...

Good luck in your build but i dont see this working too well if your using it for drift, would be kinda stupid personally. :shrug:

JP_Stang

Established Member
This is actually my drift setup for next season so auto is not an option. As of right now I'm leaning towards either a fully built t56 or a built tr6060. More so towards the 6060. As for the rear c and c performance in manassas va is already putti g together a 9in setup for me with an eaton posi.

OH! Well then there you have it! LOL I have never heard of anybody building a drift car on here so that was the last thing I was thinking when you asked about your build. I was thinking you were going for the straight lines.

Cool build regardless! I am anxious to see how it turns out.

Legitwerks

Established Member
jp_stang- lol i pride my self on ding crazy things people wouldnt expect.

twinturbo4vgt- im only planning 10-15 lbs to start out and from what i have seen that wont put it in that range just yet so i feel as though the hbeams will suffice. and im not trying to knock your opinion but do you drift if so/not why do you think this is stupid? the best drifters in the sport use big inch v8s (so to speak) in all configurations. and i trust the guy helping me he owns c and c performance and has been building 460/429s for over 25 years. but these are things i will bring up to him.

rudder- thank you i plan to start a build thread soon once i get a few more things in line and taken care of. it sucks that my estimated completion time isnt till next fall.

Legitwerks

Established Member
twinturbo4vgt- first i want to apologize because after responding to everybod i sat down and started thinking and calculating and thinking and i came up with EST. 527/7xx whp then i was trying to think aout how you came up with that high of a number and i realized i had been basing my numbers off of stock 70's motor estimates. and that my motor will not be stock with the overbore heads and intake blah blah so i will HAVE to talk to my guy tomorrow about the things you brought up thanks for making me use my noodle lol

fknsmshn

Established Member
What block? What Turbo? What's the power goal?

I'm amazed anyone would try to give advice without any of this info.

GM Nitemare

Established Member
Did you sit down and plan this out? Seems like you're putting the cart before the horse. No offense but a build of this nature takes alot of planning.

Legitwerks

Established Member
Gmnighmare- yes ive been doin research for months now and like I said or I think I said I'm new to the big block thing so I've been goin off of what my machine shop guy told me. And I wanted outside opinion on things I may be missing. Hince why I posted on this forum because it's one of the only forums I've found where I can post and get actual info and help instead of people flaming and putting down my ideas. So if we can keep the down talk to a minimum that would be great thanks

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
Don't sweat it man. Reason why I say that is my friends 510ci bbc has dart head repos and he's making around 800 to the tire N/A with a turbo cam. I really think you should go with a Callie's or dragonslayer crank and nice i beams. Also some nice trick flow or dart heads would go great. Not many stock heads from the 60s can outflow the repo heads nowadays. Also do NOT forget to get clevite teflon coated bearings, they are crucial to making a big block looking for big power. Just my .02 :beer:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Does the handling balance of the car matter?
How about throttle response?

I realize that drifting involves keeping the tires spinning at some pretty high speeds with fairly sticky tires and that requires a very high power to weight ratio.

BUT...

Balance and handling still matter and a 385 series BB Ford stroker that is also turbocharged is much heavier slower responding engine than many of the other viable Ford options available to you.

Like a 7 liter Windsor turbo to name just one.

If I was doing this I would use a much lighter engine. Just because the original Terminator engine was an incredibly heavy 720+ pounds dressed and wet, doesn't mean using another heavy engine is an optimal choice.

If you have the option to start over with a Windsor based stroker that will easily cut close to 200 pounds off the the nose of this car and make it WAY MORE CONTROLLABLE!

Please consider this option.

Legitwerks

Established Member
Twinturbo4vgt- my concen now is that I'll be making too much power lol my target range is 650-750 at the wheels I just called my guy and he's on a conference call. What do you suggest as a setup to stay in that range? I know that I want a turbo setup and nothing else will change my mind but how do I stay in my target range?

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
a 351 based 408 stroker with "mild" turbo setup could do 650-750 pretty easily.

Another site I frequent has a guy that finished his N/A 351 setup and pulled 650hp on an engine dyno. I do believe it is for sale if you want me to PM the info.

Users who are viewing this thread