03 cobra pulley advice

SVT DAN

Established Member
Well it's time to do some pulley action. I feel in the last 4 months I'm comfortable with the cobra so I want more power. on a completely stock motor with the eaton m112 would a 2.76 Upper and 6lb lower be too much with out porting the eaton? A friend with a cobra same year says it's too much but we are no way shape or form certified mechanics. Any insite would be helpful for I plan to purchase on Friday along with the new sct touch screen programer. Thanks fam

Last edited:

styre

Established Member
Yep, thats to much. Just do the upper pulley, CAI and tune. That will tide you over till you get ported.

FastNick01

Established Member
I personally would only do a 2.76 pulley. Adding even a 4lb lower to an unported eaton is to much let alone a 6. If you get a port I would do a 4lb. But you are aware you more than likely will need upgrades in the fuel dept. I'm assuming you have the basic bolt-ons as well.

torchred03

Established Member
IMHO yes that would be too much. I'm running a ported eaton with a 4# lower and 2,93 upper. Mine makes 17#'s of boost, my HP & TQ numbers are in my sig. After a certain point you are just over spinning the blower. By all means don't forget about the fuel system.

SVT DAN

Established Member
Wouldn't a 2.76 upper alone be too much for the crank pulley and shatter it? And isn't a CAI and tune the same thing?

crazycarlo

Established Member
no a 2.76 pulley will not shattter ur crank pulley...and a CAI= cold air intake, tune is where they put it on a dyno and tune it for optimum performance.

mec03svt

SomethingVeryTechnical
Established Member
If you are going to run a non ported Eaton, go with an upper only setup. Running a lower without a port will only make the Heaton hate its life more. If this is the case, then a 2.75(6)-2.80(1) pulley will be perfect with a stock lower. Anything smaller is too much overdrive spin. With a cold air, exhaust, and a good tune, you'll easily see mid-high 400's to the wheel. If you do a ported Eaton, then the game changes a little bit. Like said above, there comes a point where you just spin the shit out of the blower and do more harm than good. With a port, I feel in my opinion that the 2.93 upper with a 4lb lower is the best combination. You get the most boost with the minimal "damage" for lack of a better word. It's just a happy medium combination and you see great power from it. Hope this helps. And for your sake, DO NOT get a mail tune or a preset tune from SCT. Get some personal dyno tune time from a reputable tuner. Good luck!

Spitfire_GT

Back in the saddle
Established Member
For those of us starting from a stock blower, what about skipping straight to a steig snakebite on stock pulleys? This would give you a port and 15psi with no pulley swaps or extra idlers and belt wrap issues I know the cost is a bit higher, but once you addup the costs for an upper and idler, then a port and lower you would be in spitting distance of the snakebite? What do you all think?

Something I have been kicking around. My power goals are modest (450-500 on 91) and maintaining near stock appearance is helpful out here in CA.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I agree with doing an upper only with an unported blower. However, I would recommend the 2.90/2.93 over the 2.76 with the stock Heaton. Less heat to affect the blower efficiency with lesser overspinning. Power potential is very good. My old '03 Cobra (RAI, X-pipe, catback, ported TB, 2.90 upper) made 457rwhp and 480rwtq (SAE). Heat was never an issue. JMO.

If you go with a smaller pulley get rid of all of the stock stamped steel pulleys (they are prone to exploding at the worse times) and go with a good 4-piece billet idler set (Metco or Billetflow recommended).

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Go with an upper only or if you were a drag racer and kept the car cool you could do a 2.9/4lb combo tops.

SVT DAN

Established Member
So a upper only 2.93 will work with out over spinning with the right tune? I planed on using hbh in Gaithersburg for the tune. Will I need a tensioner and or smaller belt?

Users who are viewing this thread