03 cobra or coyote

dmaxxx

Established Member
I have a chance at a 03 cobra 10th anniversary with 50k miles but i'm wondering if I should just buy a newer coyote, does anyone here own both if so what do you recommend?

01yellercobra

Established Member
Yeah, none of the replies here will be biased.....

My advice is to drive both and see which one you like better. I've driven a couple of 11+ Mustangs. They're nice, but they're not Cobras. When I bought my Cobra I also looked at GT500's. The GT500's just didn't excite me like the Cobra.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

blownfox

Established Member
They are both great cars but the driver feel is different. My buddy drove my car and sold his 13 5.0 and start looking for a 03/04 Cobra. As @slo984now said drive both and see which one you like the best. would this be a DD or a toy car?

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
This topic has been discussed a few times. The cars are different and the newer one will show years of advancement, BUT it will be a depreciating asset. The Terminator will not depreciate.

Rhinogt

Established Member
I own both and I daily my cobra. I just enjoy the raw feel that everyone describes more, mainly because I grew up on foxes and new edge cars. However the newer cars do feel as if they are made better. I have had no problem taking my coyote on multiple 2800 mile road trips one way. I would never do that in my Cobra. (Comfort and reliability reasons) It's really shooter preference on which to get.

stangfreak

Established Member
Its what you are into. If you want raw feel, get the cobra. if you want a more comfortable ride, new technology, more advanced motor, get the coyote. Im getting older, owned my cobra since 2003. I am looking for something more comfortable. May end up getting a 5.0

Like I said, its what you like.

dmaxxx

Established Member
I've owned a 03 before and loved it but have never drove a newer coyote, I really loved the neck snapping power and the gluing you to the seat feel that the 03 cobra gives, does the newer coyotes give off that same feeling?

zredfire04

Established Member
I drove a 2012 gt before I bought my 04 cobra.

It was fast but felt heavy and slow. It was hard for me to see out of very well too...eveywhere I looked there was a seat or c pillar in the way. I'd been in an sn95 since 06 so going to the 04 was very familiar compared to the 2012. The gauge cluster in the 2012 is kinda wonky too.

The 04 is certainly less refined. Think of the 2012 as a fat european cousin of the 79-04.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
So if you want a more refined, modern touches, better interior, newer technology, less rattles in the interior and less chance of a car being beat on hard, then buy a Coyote. Along with wanting a more refined power curve delivery then buy a Coyote.

If you want the, in my opinion timeless new edge look, smack to the mouth power possibilities, a real head turner kind of car to this day along with the Cobra of all Cobras, then buy the Cobra.

Personally, I don't think you will go wrong with either. I like them both. I will eventually own a Coyote powered Mustang. I love the looks of a black 2014! I wouldn't sell my Cobra to get one thou.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
Add boost to a coyote and it changes the car big time. It seems to me the the potential to make power is really close with both cars but if you really want to make big power you need to have a built coyote where the terminators and pretty much ready.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
Test drove a new ‘17 GT after selling a ‘92 Fox two years ago. Bought an ‘04 Cobra instead for all the the reasons above. I still love a new ‘stang, but I didn’t get that tingle in my left leg when I drove it.

Back in 2006 I bought a new Cadillac DTS for that refined feeling with a V8 (since sold). But for "me" time, I want a haul-ass go kart.

Last edited:

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Test drove a new ‘17 GT after selling a ‘92 Fox two years ago. Bought an ‘04 Cobra instead for all the the reasons above. I still love a new ‘stang, but I didn’t get that tingle in my left leg when I drove it.

Back in 2006 I bought a new Cadillac DTS for that refined feeling with a V8. For "me" time, I want a haul-ass go kart.
Sure it was the left one?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The Cobra has a raw feel, everything after that is in pursuit of refinement.
This! If you want that feel of brute rawness, the Terminator gets the nod. For more refinement, the Coyote makes more sense. IMO the Coyote would make a better daily driver if you're planning on driving the car more than on weekends. But as some have said, drive both (if you can) and see which one you like better.

Not on your list, but I saw my first GT-350 up close yesterday at my Ford dealer yesterday. I haven't been a big fan of the S-550 Mustang, design wise, but it's grown on me, and I can say that I am now in love with THIS one. Stunning all around. A year ago I was considering a 2017 Camaro SS, but after seeing this GT-350, the Camaro is completely off the radar. The interior on the GT-350 is great, and I really like the rear end (especially the larger rear spoiler). So from a design perspective, the Coyote is a nice looking car and so much more refined than the '03-'04 Cobra. But you'll have to pick your own poison as far as Terminator vs. Coyote. Go with what YOU lean towards.

upload_2017-12-20_8-27-6.png

Users who are viewing this thread