03 Cobra IRS Swap?

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
The IRS bushing attach the IRS to the body. They are a lot larger than the differential bushings. I would call Maximum Motor Sports and order their IRS bushings and the 14mm nuts and bolts. For some reason the installed 12mm nuts. They are 50 bucks. Trust me, you will shoot yourself if you don't do them now.

Info on 12mm bolt that needs to be upgraded to 14mm
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59812&highlight=where+irs+bushings

Breakdown of IRS showing location of IRS and Diff bushings.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=61845&highlight=irs+bushings

Bullitt 2496

Established Member
Hey Mike, I picked up the U-joints today.
They were $30 bucks each!? The dude told me they're some kind of special "coversion joint."

I also ordered the MM IRS bushings, and got the bolts from my ford dealer.

Are you willing to pay for your U-joint?

-Doug

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Originally posted by Bullitt 2496
Hey Mike, I picked up the U-joints today.
They were $30 bucks each!? The dude told me they're some kind of special "coversion joint."

I also ordered the MM IRS bushings, and got the bolts from my ford dealer.

Are you willing to pay for your U-joint?

-Doug

Of course I will pay for the U joint. If you want, you can take it off the 150 for the gears. It's up to you.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Originally posted by Bullitt 2496
(wondering why you didn't get the bolts already)

They put the 12mm bolts in the the factory. I was planning on doing the diff bushings, irs bushings, and bolts but I put it off because I knew I was going to swap out the IRS. They put the 12mm bolts in there to soften the ride and reduce NVH. I think it is also a contributor to wheel hop.

Bullitt 2496

Established Member
Makes sense. Ya know based on my convo with Maximum Motorsports today...

The 12mm bolts aren't "wrong" they just wont fit the bushings MM designs... hehe.

Ford has to be concerned with softness more than you and I.

I'll try to prep the garage so all the tools we need are at our fingertips.

Can you think of anything we'll need?

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Somone told me,
"Find the tool you need to compress the pistons back into the calipers. They will probably be forced out when the e-brake cable is removed and they are a real pain in the ass to move back in without the tool. You have to push and turn at the same time."

I am not sure what tool he is talking about. I've always used a block of wood and a C clamp to compress the caliper pistons.

Did you see this thread I started? Apparently we do not need to swap e brake cables. This is going to be pretty easy (hopefully).

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=64726&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
:lol: I mean here. http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=64956

We can't swap mufflers. Your muffler is offset left offset right. Mine is center center. That is the reason I couldn't get just the over the axle pipes for my catback. Now I need to buy a new catback that's going to cost me 700. :(

I put my stock catback on today. This this thing is so quiet. Almost honda quiet.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
2 days and counting. You have a full set of sockets wrenches and tools right? Can you think of anything we might need that you dont have?

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Originally posted by lightninmike
well i think ill probably be working on the friday, but if you need to go up on the sat ill be more than happy to lend a hand

are you working? :(

Bullitt 2496

Established Member
Originally posted by bassin247
2 days and counting. You have a full set of sockets wrenches and tools right? Can you think of anything we might need that you dont have?

I should have everything we need... except patience.
:lol:

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
Originally posted by bassin247
are you working? :(
i am working on friday
but i dont think i am on sat i can let ya know by friday afternoon
ill call your cell and talk to you or leave a message

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Doug,

The two bolts were $11.50. Apparently they didn't hook you up with that pricing.

Mike,

Let me know what you are up to. We should have it done on Friday. I wouldn't minr meeting up though or just shooting the breeze.

Users who are viewing this thread