03 Cobra IRS Swap?

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Hmmm. I might be interested. When would you want to do it? My only concern is my Bassani catback. It's not going to work with a solid axle. I dished out 700 bucks for it.

Last edited:

Bullitt 2496

Established Member
Im sure i could find a buyer for the exhaust... I could even be inclined to buy it myself assuming the MRT rolled tips I plan on getting would mate up.

ive got the Bullitt garaged for the winter so any time this winter would work for me... I've got a full garage outside of Keene, New Hampshire...

Air tools, etc.

We could line both cars up and do the swap. I'm open to negotiations... you should PM me and I'll give you my number and we can talk about it.

The only other thing that needs to be done is i'd need to purchase a set of U-joints that would adapt our driveshafts to the opposing rear ends. (T-56 vs. TR-3650) Your driveshaft is about an inch shorter than mine. It's a $10 part from Precision Driveshaft outside of Keene.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Originally posted by Bullitt 2496
Im sure i could find a buyer for the exhaust... I could even be inclined to buy it myself assuming the MRT rolled tips I plan on getting would mate up.

ive got the Bullitt garaged for the winter so any time this winter would work for me... I've got a full garage outside of Keene, New Hampshire...

Air tools, etc.

We could line both cars up and do the swap. I'm open to negotiations... you should PM me and I'll give you my number and we can talk about it.

The only other thing that needs to be done is i'd need to purchase a set of U-joints that would adapt our driveshafts to the opposing rear ends. (T-56 vs. TR-3650) Your driveshaft is about an inch shorter than mine. It's a $10 part from Precision Driveshaft outside of Keene.

You have a PM.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Originally posted by lightninmike
no granading half shafts for you i guess:-D

Want to go for a ride to NH with me? :thumbsup:

Do you have any experience with replacing axles, gears, or differentials?

Once I get the Bullitt solid axle in there I'm going to replace the bullitt 3.27s with 3.55s or 3.73s and use an Eaton Posi with 31 spline Strange axles. I'm also going to upgrade the shocks, springs, and bushings.

I'll buy the beer, food, gas, and entertainment. :) :beer:

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
doing the gears isnt to bad, axles are just slide in, not sure about the posi unit
you wouldnt need to do the bearings so that makes it a lot eaiser
(low mileage)
and putting it in the car is real easy cause it is a bolt in, just have to bleed the brakes
if we have to do his car too its about a good 8 hours i bet including food and stuff
is your car lowered???? if so you are going to need new rear springs to match the fronts

does the above mean you are taking me to the the tity bar:beer:

Last edited:

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
I am talking to herman from Hp by Herman. I'm going to get adjustable shocks, springs andbushings from him. I want the ride height about 1 inch lower in the rear. Once I get the rear at the correct ride height I will address the front.

I'm also going to get a set of speed bleeders. They are kickass!

If you want to join in on this escapade I would appreciate it. If you are busy or don't want to do it, that's cool with me.

Bullitt 2496

Established Member
The brakes don't need to be bled. The Bullitt has the same brakes as the 03 cobra. You just need to detach the calipers from the rotors and let em hang for a while. The rotors can either be swapped or retained on the axles.

BLWN03

I'm a Hustla Baby!!!!!
Established Member
Bullitt..i see you are from CT as am I. Do you have this deal sealed or are you still in the market? I wouldn't mind doin the swap. My procharger isn't gonna take to kindly to the IRS..but i'll deal with it for a while if i have to. I'll just stock up on halfshafts. My email is [email protected] let me know.

Jay

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
i dont mind helpin ya mike:thumbsup: just cant be this saturday

give me a call about 2 weeks in advance or so and let me know what is going on

it'll keep me out of trouble and from spending to much$$$

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
We are doing it Friday November 28th (day after thanksgiving) and the 29th if need be. I'm leaving my house around 8am so I can get there around 9 or 930. His garage is in NH.

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
well i think ill probably be working on the friday, but if you need to go up on the sat ill be more than happy to lend a hand

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
who works the day after thaksgiving? :shrug:

We are planning on doing it on friday because we don't want to run into a problem on a weekend and not have a place to get parts.

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
the trucking bizz works everyday, i am lucky not to be working on turkeyday
not so sure about christmas though:shrug: might get stuck with that one

Bullitt 2496

Established Member
We just swap them, and in order to get them to hook up, we get these "Precision 448" u-joints. I bought them the other day. (I figured we'd even up on the price when we say in each other. They're cheap.)

Yea the brake line thing is not an issue, because I have a Bullitt. If it were a GT, the brake lines would need to be swapped. We won't even have to crack open the brakes at all.

I got the Poly Differential bushings, and I've been reading that a set of Eibach Pro-Kit springs will lower the rear back to Bullitt ride height.

I don't know how adventurous you are, but in order to retain the bullitt "sound," we could even swap mufflers and just use the part of your cobra exhaust that goes over the axles...

We'll figure that out when we get there.

-Doug

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
You should get a set of IRS bushings too. I would go with the MM IRS bushings.

What Differential bushings did you get? Steeda?

Users who are viewing this thread