03-04 Terminator Value vs Mileage

mtdubvee

Established Member
Hey guys,

I just sold my 67 fastback mustang and want to get a terminator. I want to ensure that I will most likely always be able to get my money back after I sell my terminator.

The question is, at what point does mileage take a terminator past the point of "lower" return as far as mileage goes? I mean what should I stay under mileage wise to ensure the car will depreciate less. I know this may be hard to gauge but im just looking for opinions.

Im searching and have found some thinkgs in the 40-50k mileage range I am interested in. I want an 04 torch red.

thanks,
Matt

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member
I don't see how you can accurately gauge this at all being many variable will come into play. Like how many miles you will put on it, mods on the car, the future market, overall condition and so forth. But I'd say a car with 40-50k would hold value

MBoyle1

redfire
Established Member
That's a hard question to ask. But I think the 03/04 are at a low & are only going up now.50/60 thousands miles the car if set up right should have a lot of life left. The less miles & most original will bring the most money.my car has 2000 miles & would not sell for less than original sticker

cobracide

Established Member
You want the car, it's 50k miles on something you can afford - then get it. Get a leakdown test. There is no magic mileage number for you to break even on. Don't buy a Terminator as an investment, there are better ways to make cash.

Last edited:

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
+1 don't buy it as an investment or hoping you will get the same back as what you paid for it. Maybe if you buy it, don't drive it, and try to sell it in another 10 years, you might make some money on it.

Digital

Established Member
The milage to value on the terminators are reflected mostly the same as any other car. The only difference would be if you had a completely stock one with under 5k miles. That would be more collector type though and not something you'd drive.

Most people seem want one with around 25k miles and for sure less then 50k as it seems to give them a false sense that it wasn't abused. I'd try to get one close to that if you plan on putting minimal miles on it each year.

That being said if you're one of those people buying one to put 3k miles on it each year maybe you can let someone else buy it and get a souped up GT so someone else can really enjoy the car. As was said before you don't buy this car for an investment. It's just a mustang, not a ford gt or something.

Last edited:

black 10th vert

Established Member
As others have said these cars should not be bought with the idea of investment - at least not in the short term. Once it is as old as your '67, then it may be worth a lot of money, especially since there will be a lot fewer of them around due to crashes, and other things. If you are buying a car with 50k miles on it already, I would not be concerned at all with depreciating it with more miles, since it is already beyond what most collectors would call "low miles" anyway. If on the other hand it had less than 10k miles, then it is more in collector range for miles, but would do you no good, because you couldn't drive it without worrying about putting on too many more miles, and what good is that, unless you already have many other toys to enjoy, or you just like looking at it sitting in your garage. Mine has only 14-15k miles on it now, but that is because it is mostly a garage queen, but I am not deliberately trying to keep the miles down for investment purposes - it just happens that I don't get to drive it as much as I would like most summers.

SVTDice

Established Member
Yeah, I would not buy a Terminator as a investment idea. I bought mine for enjoyment and because I absolutely love the car, So thats why I drive it quite a bit. Thats just me though, Everybody is to there own. Either way, Your going to love one if you get your hands on one.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
A few years back I felt as if I was buying mine as an investment.
Completely stock, 30,000 miles.
I then came to realization that to truly enjoy this car that I would want to mod it and drive it!
So, several thousand $s later, Here it is, and I couldn't be happier as I don't plan on ever selling it

EvilBlack

04 Sickness
Established Member
I think his point is to be able to recoup most of the investment at some point later.

OP, If you keep the miles super low like under 5 k you will have a better chance. Clearly these cars are not investment level machines but if you stay with Super rare colors and condition you will have a better chance. I think Comp Orange is the most rare color. Perhaps getting the first or last one would be more valuable but good luck with that effort. There was one on e-bay a few weeks ago with only 5 miles in original plastic. That is the closest you will get to perfect and probably value.

A 00R would probably be a little better for this goal.

Digital

Established Member
A few years back I felt as if I was buying mine as an investment.
Completely stock, 30,000 miles.
I then came to realization that to truly enjoy this car that I would want to mod it and drive it!
So, several thousand $s later, Here it is, and I couldn't be happier as I don't plan on ever selling it

yay. that's what i like to hear.

Jad G

Broke but fast
Established Member
I bought mine Dec 26 2008 with 99,800 miles and rolled it past 100k on my drive home from SLC, . I got it for 14k with mild mods, knowing that I was going to modify it quite a lot eventually, and just bought it as a fun daily driver to drive as is. 3 months later, it blew up on me unexpectedly. Bad gas + joyriding little brother and his friend = 2 cracked cylinder heads. $7-8k (I don't want to try and really add it exactly), 3 rebuilds and 2.5 years later, it's finally the way I wanted it and it will be cranking in a few days. If you want a collector, get a ultra low mile one, or a Cobra R. This car is too fun to not drive everywhere. Mine will be returning to DD status asap. Nothing is better than driving home in a cobra after a crap day at work and just feeling all your stress just melt away

Last edited:

nooner

Established Member
I think his point is to be able to recoup most of the investment at some point later.

OP, If you keep the miles super low like under 5 k you will have a better chance. Clearly these cars are not investment level machines but if you stay with Super rare colors and condition you will have a better chance. I think Comp Orange is the most rare color. Perhaps getting the first or last one would be more valuable but good luck with that effort. There was one on e-bay a few weeks ago with only 5 miles in original plastic. That is the closest you will get to perfect and probably value.

A 00R would probably be a little better for this goal.

Are you referring to the first or last of a specific color? If so, how would you obtain that info? SVT says they did not record that info. I have often wondered if mine is the first mineral gray vert but I have not been able to determine if it is or is not.

joseph.devenney

How hard could it be
Established Member
Most people seem want one with around 25k miles and for sure less then 50k as it seems to give them a false sense that it wasn't abused. I'd try to get one close to that if you plan on putting minimal miles on it each year.

Like said here, I think the only reason people are so determined to get one with less than 25K is because they dont want one that has already been beat to death. I bought mine with 36K on the clock, plan on going whipple in the future and I dont see any reason why it wouldnt have another 100K in it. I know the previous owner/history of my car though. Even with a 25K mile car you never really know what you are getting. You can have fun in these cars and they could last a long time, as long as you dont beat the crap out of it.

Last edited:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Are you referring to the first or last of a specific color? If so, how would you obtain that info? SVT says they did not record that info. I have often wondered if mine is the first mineral gray vert but I have not been able to determine if it is or is not.

you are correct that is not documented except for the mystichrome cars

there would be a way to determine it, but you would need to compile (or somehow obtain) all the info on all cars built in a particular color

4valvemach

Established Member
You sold a 67 mustang fastback in order to get a 03/04 cobra:nonono:

The 03/04 cobra is a great car and should be driven and not saved for value.If anyone thinks the cobra will gain value like the classic cars of many years ago is foolish.It is also getting out done in power & looks every year by the GT500 and NEW 5.0

NOTHING about the 03/04 cobra makes it collectable it is a modern performance car

Last edited:

joseph.devenney

How hard could it be
Established Member
You sold a 67 mustang fastback in order to get a 03/04 cobra:nonono:

The 03/04 cobra is a great car and should be driven and not saved for value.If anyone thinks the cobra will gain value like the classic cars of many years ago is foolish.It is also getting out done in power & looks every year by the GT500 and NEW 5.0

NOTHING about the 03/04 cobra makes it collectable it is a modern performance car

Why do you think the 03/04's are going to fall into the cracks? Yes they are being out done, but that happens to every car almost every year? Almost 10 yrs later they are still a very desirable car, what makes you think people wont want one of these in 45 yrs?

4valvemach

Established Member
Why do you think the 03/04's are going to fall into the cracks? Yes they are being out done, but that happens to every car almost every year? Almost 10 yrs later they are still a very desirable car, what makes you think people wont want one of these in 45 yrs?

Its all in the options and looks that it fails in and the classic muscle car wins in

Back then you could have it your way

with a/c or without
manual or auto
with stripes without
with wing or without
bucket or bench seats
6cyl or number of cubic inch motor options changed by year
ram air or not
steering wheel options
wheel options
rear gear ratio options
ONE or TWO YEAR BODY STYLE major changes to bumpers,quarter panels,hood

Looks
That is simple drive a cobra by a young male crowd and then drive a 1969 camaro by them what car do you think they will stare at?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread