03-04 Termi or 04-05 CTS-V?

lilb_svt

Established Member
You do know a good shop like Haddad charges over $4k for a cam and suporting mods installed. I'm not saying its not effective but thats shit load of money for the power increase.

splitdecisions

Established Member
im leaning more the cobra route to burn my friends V =)... but cmon how bout some facts lol... common problems, general upgrade paths (for instance with $2,000 what can i get and roughly what kind of power are we looking at?), build quality ect.

I searched and came up with nothing...

do these guys with 11 second cobras have like $20k into their cars? whats it take to get into the mid to high 11s safely, effectively, and consistantly? please forgive me for being a noob and asking so many questions...

Last edited:

lilb_svt

Established Member
^

Please some provide some facts or real world advice, not because "my d*ck is bigger bc I have a cobra". I dont need to know how badass your car is, I already know and respect these cars, im over the whole testosterone trip thing, and if thats how all mustang owners are then i dunno that i wanna be classified like that. I just want some insight on your overall experiences and build qulaity ect.

What do think your going to get a break down of each car, Your just going to get the same shit you already know.. so here you go the caddi rides better has a way more refined interior, and the overall build quality is great. Its also a 4 door if thats what you want. However still has it's problems as does the cobra.
The cobra looks better sounds better and goes much faster and for much less.
So there you have it all the shit you already knew.
You said to make you like the cobra best so it sounds to me like you know what you want. Sorry about us mustang guys buy the way.

lilb_svt

Established Member
im leaning more the cobra route to burn my friends V =)... but cmon how bout some facts lol... common problems, general upgrade paths (for instance with $2,000 what can i get and roughly what kind of power are we looking at?), build quality ect.

do these guys with 11 second cobras have like $20k into their cars? whats it take to get into the mid to high 11s safely, effectively, and consistantly? please forgive me for being a noob and asking so many questions...

Exhuast, intake, pulley, tune and tires.
Tires (DR) $400
Catback $500
X-Pipe $350
Intake $175
Pulley $100
Tune $500
so about 2k could get you there.

Last edited:

99stanger

RPB
Established Member
also 99 stanger, going from the Goat to the cobra... what is your opinion on the overall "niceness" of both, I know the raw power and bang for the buck goes to the cobra, but im not all muscle either how about some creature comforts.

ALso nobody has said anything in relation to ? #2,3,4,5

Thanks again in advance for the knowledge within this forums

Interior and build quality itself has it all over the cobra. I had a pretty quick gto too thing ran low 12's. However it all depends what your looking for, If you want something that you can get groceries in, be more comfortable but still have some good power then get the cts-v. However if you have any plans on modding... any at all its really hard to beat the bang for the buck with the cobra. Overall looks goes to the cobra as well. Overall attention getter... cobra as well. Which is more fun? The cobra IMO... and probably in yours as well. The cammed ls engines are nice and all, but then you have to start thinking about driveability, gas mileage ( if that kind of thing is on your mind) and not to mention the increased possibility of a valve spring or something like that breaking with the bigger cam in there. And I don't know about you, but a lopey cam and a new cts-v just don't go hand in hand. Do yourself a favor and go with the terminator.

nealc

Established Member
its all about what you are looking for. Higher class, nicer interior, smoother car....or a faster, head turning, loud cruising car that is much more respected in the speed world.

splitdecisions

Established Member
awesone guys thankyou, you too lilb... i like you, your a smartass like me but try to pull it off in a nice way =)

...of to read that FAQ

boosted2000si

All good things end!
Established Member
Its pretty simple.
If you want to haul ass, have a fast car and enjoy making people break neck, then get a cobra.

If you want a smooth daily driver, that looks sleek and has enough power to get you from light to light get the caddy.

I got a Cobra, my dad has a CTS-V.

TrickStang37

Established Member
Before anyone says it, no im not a dumbass I realize this is a ford enthusiast forums I just wanted to know what some of you who already own termi's thought.

I am between a termi and a V for a few reasons. Originally the cobra wasnt even in the cards for me because I had decided I wanted 4 doors, hence the LS6 powered CTS-v, since then ive been doing more research and readings (trolling around on here for weeks) and have began to consider the cobra for the ammount of power it makes for little money. I dont want to sacrafice daily driveability as this will be my DD but ive noticed a few 550whp/500trq DD's on the site. it would take a little over 3 grand to make the V low to mid 400's NA car

Originally the V just appealed to me because they are a four door so i wouldnt have to sell it when i start a family (my fiancee and I just bought a house so that may come sooner than i know lol). Its a 400hp LS6 equipped sedan with sexy looks and a great interior. Please sway me towards the cobra.

Overall my questions to you all are

1) if you had it to do all over again would the cobra be your first choice
2) Pro's and cons of owning an 03-04 cobra
3) common problems
4) general upgrade path and power output and cost
5) Overall quality of all components and interior components, upholstry, ect.
(im not gonna lie from most pics ive seen it seems to have the same interior as all of the previous model 6cyls, gt's ect.)

Make me want a Cobra more than a V...

Thanks in advance,
Josh

personally, i think the CTSV's look better in pictures than in person. And opposite for the Terminators.

Whats your budget? Im not sure what a CTSV goes for, but a terminator should be pretty easy to find at $20k.

As for issues, the cobra has an exploding rear end (wheel hop) but can be remedied with bushings/springs, subframe connectors and IRS brace. It might cost a little bit extra, but the car will handle MUCH better and you would probably want to lower it anyways. OR, you can go with a set of sticky tires, but that might not completely remedy the problem completely. I know convertible's are much more prone to wheel hop.

I know the CTSV has an issue with the rear end as well and also wheel hop.

The cobra does feel like a much more substantial car than a regular mustang (the added weight makes it feel less cheap) and the interior is very nice compared to standard GT's. I'm sure the interior doesn't compare to the CTSV, but it's still nice for a pony car.

The cobra will be cheaper to go fast and the 300 lbs less it starts off with does't hurt either. an intake/catback will net you ~400-420rwhp, add a pulley and a tune and your at ~440-460rwhp. at that level, you MIGHT need a MAFia and/or a BAP, but most don't. Then with a port and lower pulley (and most likely will be needing that BAP/MAFia) and you'll be at ~500-520rwhp.

OR you can forget the pulley and tune and go straight to a Whipple/Kenne Bell and make 600 rwhp, also needing a BAP/MAFia, tune, injectors and MAYBE fuel pumps.

The Sync

VTAK!
Established Member
CTS-V, you can get intake, exhaust, cam, and nitrous and make 500+whp easy. Not to mention crazy torque. But I personally wouldn't want to put nitrous on my caddy but I was just suggesting power mods to get you in the range of a modded cobra but within the contexts of a luxury sedan.

If you want my opinion, go and post on a CTS-V forum and ask their opinion of choosing between a cobra and a CTS-V and ask THEM to persuade you to get a CTS-V. Then when everything is said in done on both of the forum threads, make your decision.

Best of luck! :beer:

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
Overall my questions to you all are

1) if you had it to do all over again would the cobra be your first choice
2) Pro's and cons of owning an 03-04 cobra
3) common problems
4) general upgrade path and power output and cost
5) Overall quality of all components and interior components, upholstry, ect.
(im not gonna lie from most pics ive seen it seems to have the same interior as all of the previous model 6cyls, gt's ect.)

Make me want a Cobra more than a V...

Thanks in advance,
Josh

My take on it.....

#2) Pro's would be the ease of making power for relatively low cost and being able to do it with reliability. They look great and sound great, the blower whine is absolutely addicting! The cons are that the interior while nice isn't near the level of the CTS-V. The creature comforts aren't there, the audio system leaves something to be desired, and you could have some squeeks and rattles. Mine is relatively rattle free, but I have had to track a few squeeks down and solve them. I will say that I do really love the gauges and seats in my Cobra, but there are many days driving to work that I really enjoy being in my Eddie Bauer with the steering wheel controls, heated leather seats, and the other luxury options.

#3) Like any other car there are dozens of problems owners have come across. The one you'll probably hear about the most is the cooling with these cars, people that have done high speed runs only to hurt a piston. These cars have a very tight PTW clearance and without enough fuel, too much timing, too much heat, or a combination of all the piston can say hi to the cylinder wall. A good tune with enough fuel, proper timing, and using your head by not beating on the car excessively at high speeds and you shouldn't have a problem. Other minor issues are the steering creak which is easily solved by a new set of steering rack bushings, a clunk from the IRS which has a TSB with Ford if you come across it, hard shifting from the clutch which can be cured with a new clutch quadrant and adjuster, the gas pedal stick which has a recall by Ford to fix it, and the drivers seatbelt not retracting which once again Ford is aware of and should fix. All the minor issues are just that, minor issues which usually are an easy fix if your car happens to get them and can be fixed through recalls or TSB's through Ford.

#4) The most common upgrade path is going to be intake, exhaust, and pulley. You should be able to do the basic I/E/Pulley and tune for under $1200, that would put you at 450-470rwhp/rwtq. For another $500-$700 you could have the blower ported and put you up over 500rwhp/rwtq. Other mods you don't have to do, but would be benificial at that level would be an aftermarket shifter as the stock one sucks, sticky tires, subframes connectors to stiffen up the car and help with preventing the squeeks/rattles, and the clutch quadrant/firewall adjuster. To give you an idea to make the numbers in my sig I have a little over $3K in my car, that includes the supporting mods along with the nitrous.

#5) Overall the build quality I think is rather nice, it's plain but nice. The seats look great and are rather comfortable and the dash and gauges are nice. As I said before the stock stereo leaves some to be desired, but isn't terrible. The shifter location isn't the best either as it requires you to lean forward a bit. My car is rather quiet on the inside, the body panels line up good, my only gripe is the paint on the front bumper and hood are a bit thin and chip easily.

Bottom line is the Terminator is a hell of car with great "bang for the buck" when it comes to performance. It looks downright mean and sounds incredible. It can take a beating over and over again with great reliability and deliver raw brutal power that most people wouldn't expect. But when it comes to creature comforts and luxury it hands down goes to the V, and who in hell would expect to hear a cammed Caddy blow by them? :shrug:

A solid 11 second Cobra is just your basic intake/exhaust/pulley car. You're looking about $1200 or so for the power mods, get some sticky tires for another $350-$400 and you should be in 11's. Another $500-$700 for a port, and you should be deep 11's at 125+mph.

Last edited:

Flad

Wanting
Established Member
^ add the forged gut's on the cobra and it makes a very dependable 500+ hq car

If it's a DD , I would do the caddy hands down.
I really think it's an age thing also, I personally could not DD mine.

TrickStang37

Established Member
you really dont need an aftermarket clutch quadrant / firewall adjuster. You can modify your own (bend a tab) and your set. the stocker is very good.

Juruense

Banned
you really dont need an aftermarket clutch quadrant / firewall adjuster. You can modify your own (bend a tab) and your set. the stocker is very good.
That is true recent developments indicate the design flaw is actually easily corrected which results in a truly self-adjusting setup as was intended.

Users who are viewing this thread