03-04 Termi or 04-05 CTS-V?

splitdecisions

Established Member
Before anyone says it, no im not a dumbass I realize this is a ford enthusiast forums I just wanted to know what some of you who already own termi's thought.

I am between a termi and a V for a few reasons. Originally the cobra wasnt even in the cards for me because I had decided I wanted 4 doors, hence the LS6 powered CTS-v, since then ive been doing more research and readings (trolling around on here for weeks) and have began to consider the cobra for the ammount of power it makes for little money. I dont want to sacrafice daily driveability as this will be my DD but ive noticed a few 550whp/500trq DD's on the site. it would take a little over 3 grand to make the V low to mid 400's NA car

Originally the V just appealed to me because they are a four door so i wouldnt have to sell it when i start a family (my fiancee and I just bought a house so that may come sooner than i know lol). Its a 400hp LS6 equipped sedan with sexy looks and a great interior. Please sway me towards the cobra.

Overall my questions to you all are

1) if you had it to do all over again would the cobra be your first choice
2) Pro's and cons of owning an 03-04 cobra
3) common problems
4) general upgrade path and power output and cost
5) Overall quality of all components and interior components, upholstry, ect.
(im not gonna lie from most pics ive seen it seems to have the same interior as all of the previous model 6cyls, gt's ect.)

Make me want a Cobra more than a V...

Thanks in advance,
Josh

DSGWhippedSnake

Right you are ken
Established Member
go with a termi, i know a couple of people that have v's and they both said they're problem cars (electrical problems, mechanical problems etc.) personally i'm not a fan of cts-v's, they have sloppy tranny's and like you said, it costs alot to make power with those motors. and if you really wanted to, you can still put 2 people in the back of a termi, they're not the roomiest back seats but it gets the job done

hand-to-ball

That Was Just Your Life
Established Member
If you can swing it and want the 4 doors, go with an E39 M5 and you will not be disappointed. Pulls like a freight train, incredible handling and elegant all wrapped into one...I should know I had one!!

splitdecisions

Established Member
go with a termi, i know a couple of people that have v's and they both said they're problem cars (electrical problems, mechanical problems etc.) personally i'm not a fan of cts-v's, they have sloppy tranny's and like you said, it costs alot to make power with those motors. and if you really wanted to, you can still put 2 people in the back of a termi, they're not the roomiest back seats but it gets the job done

My best friend has a V and the only problem he has had with the car is the rear diff but its covered under warranty ... no electrical issues and not many other mech. issues according to other V owners from that forums.

I would have to agree but would add that the termi's I have sat in also had sloppy feeling trannys STOCK. Both with bushings and a short shifter was a vast improvement.

The V's interior is far superior to the cobra, but I just cant get over the power they make and how good they look slammed on some wheels =) OMFG!

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
Pretty sure both cars use the T-56 tranny guys.

As someone who also once pondered this choice, I would have to say the V would be the better car for your needs. For a DD and possibly grocery getter, maybe even a running some little ones around the Caddy would much more convenient and easier to drive. It's possible that the CTS has some problems but the Terminator has it's share and some. The Terminator will unquestionably deliver more bang for the buck but I think it is better as a 2nd car in the garage for many reasons.

splitdecisions

Established Member
Are you serious? Is your grandpa using your account? Cadillacs are old man cars.

lol are you a fool? have you ever ran into a slightly modded cts-V? they weigh barely more, and yes dollar for dollar the cobra will always be faster, but it is far outclassed in the creature comfort department by the caddi I mean heck it outta be in 04' they cost 50k brand new. BTW a heads, cammed V will make ~ 440whp and 420 trq

thanks jm, hand, and DSG you guys actually offered useful advice

this doesnt exactly look like my grandpa's caddy...

greybeast.jpg

Caddy014-vi.jpg

Caddy012-vi.jpg

lilb_svt

Established Member
lol are you a fool? have you ever ran into a slightly modded cts-V? they weigh barely more, and yes dollar for dollar the cobra will always be faster, but it is far outclassed in the creature comfort department by the caddi I mean heck it outta be in 04' they cost 50k brand new. BTW a heads, cammed V will make ~ 440whp and 420 trq

thanks jm, hand, and DSG you guys actually offered useful advice

this doesnt exactly look like my grandpa's caddy...

greybeast.jpg

Caddy014-vi.jpg

Caddy012-vi.jpg

Actually my grandmas cts looks just like that.
Also h/c/i for cts v isn't very coast effective.

99stanger

RPB
Established Member
Terminator ftw, I've done the whole cammed LS motor thing... while it was fun it doesn't compare to 03-04 cobra. Oh and for the record my car was an 06' GTO and the build quality on that was absoultly great. I am sorry I guess I am just not a huge fan go fast 4 doors.

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
if your looking for a fast 4 door id spend my money on a E55 amg or e39 M5!

other than that COBRA > CTS-V

splitdecisions

Established Member
^ Cant afford to mantain a beemer or Mercedes lol...

thanks 99 stanger for your info,

And can someone please provide some factual or maybe some first hand experience with some of the questions ive asked? all of the "because all they see is my tail lights" proves nothing and sounds plain ignorant.

and lilb im glad your grandmas caddi looks like that but ive never seen a CTS with a full V conversion id love to see some pics. ALso how do you figure the heads cam route isnt effective for the V? it will make about 440whp and 410-420 trq... how is that not effective?

Please some provide some facts or real world advice, not because "my d*ck is bigger bc I have a cobra". I dont need to know how badass your car is, I already know and respect these cars, im over the whole testosterone trip thing, and if thats how all mustang owners are then i dunno that i wanna be classified like that. I just want some insight on your overall experiences and build qulaity ect.

Last edited:

splitdecisions

Established Member
also 99 stanger, going from the Goat to the cobra... what is your opinion on the overall "niceness" of both, I know the raw power and bang for the buck goes to the cobra, but im not all muscle either how about some creature comforts.

ALso nobody has said anything in relation to ? #2,3,4,5

Thanks again in advance for the knowledge within this forums

splitdecisions

Established Member
... found a whippled 03 not too too far away for $24000, says it makes over 600whp now thats pretty tempting, theres also a KB'd one too for the same price. the KB'd one is at a stealership

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
^ "my d*ck is bigger bc I have a
cobra"..

:burn: . :lol::lol:

Test drive both...buy the one you like...im a ford guy...you know my choice...good luck with some of the fellas on here.

Im a fan of CTS...but in all fairness, when my mother (51 years old) was looking to replace her Bonneville SSEI I told her to look at the CTS-V

I do have a son so that does make her a grandma.

Last edited:

splitdecisions

Established Member
:burn: . :lol::lol:
...good luck with some of the fellas on here.

haha I see what you mean already

lol ya i do need to go drive a cobra so i have something to compare to, I can drive my boys V any time...

EDIT: that kid gets more compliments on his V from a variety of people its crazy, from the old "grandpa" to local people in the scene.

Last edited:

splitdecisions

Established Member
what are yalls thoughts on buying an already modded cobra?

still havent heard specific problems from any cobra owners.

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
im not a big fan of all the fancy buttons and technology. luxury is a luxury.

before i got my cobra, i had 2006 GT.
one day my mom brings me to Mercedes to go with her to get an oil change. i go and browse around while the cars gettin changed. and my mom catches her on eye on the 2008 C class. by the end of the day, she convinced me to trade in my GT for it! this was in sept. 2007 so i was all hyped to drive a brand spankin new car around town. im co-signed to it. so i drove that thing around took it to bon fires (bad idea, scratched it!) but by the end of 2007 i talked to my mom. i told her she could have it if i get another mustang. by march of 08 i got my terminator! as you can tell im not good at telling stories.

but the whole point is.... ahh crap i forgot :dw:

ummmmm COBRA > CTS-V :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread