03/04 rods and pistons in my 01

Brutal Metal

Established Member
The stock Cobra pistons don't just melt by themselves. Something caused those pistons to fail. Either somebody ****ed with the stock tune, the fuel system failed or the car over heated.
I agree those Pistons suffered an early death by a BAD A/F, too much timing etc.. if that's how they looked coming out of a STOCK Cobra?? There's plenty of Terminators out there putting down 600RW++ with the Zollners ALTHOUGH if your motor is apart go with better Slugs like CP, Diamond, Manley..

Last edited:

01BlueCobraVert

Established Member
I plan on putting in an Eaton or a Kennebell. I rarely drive my car. It is a weekend/ perfect weather car. Driving with that low compression wouldn't bother me much since it isn't a DD.
Where would you guys recommend buying the pistons? I looked on Summit but that was about it. Also if I buy them, how do I determine what I will need to get the compression ratio I want? I know I will need rings, and pins but anything else?

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
Get the block checked first,
make sure the machine shop does honing / boring with torque plates.
That will tell you what bore size pistons to get.
Then decide what CR.
CP and Diamond are good brands, and there are others.
Low CR modulars are dogs NA.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Godstang, the stock Terminator pistons aren't thaaaaat bad. Yes, they are fit too tight, the ring land is prone to collapse but they will still work reliably to 500-600 hp which is nothing to sneeze at. But your right, a set of loose fitting CP's or Diamonds would be a better choice.

I say keep the 8.5:1 compression if you plan on going FI which is good for 16 lbs on 91. Whipple AX140 gets my vote :thumbsup:

Last edited:

zPipes

Established Member
I heard somewhere along the way that LT are not good with FI motors. It had something to do with the FI kit would have its own piping setup i think? Whats the word on this matter?

GodStang

Established Member
Godstang, the stock Terminator pistons aren't thaaaaat bad. Yes, they are fit too tight, the ring land is prone to collapse but they will still work reliably to 500-600 hp which is nothing to sneeze at. But your right, a set of loose fitting CP's or Diamonds would be a better choice.

I say keep the 8.5:1 compression if you plan on going FI which is good for 16 lbs on 91. Whipple AX140 gets my vote :thumbsup:

The point I am trying to make is that of the pistons out there they are one the lower levels of them. It costs a bit to tear an engine down. Its a known fact that when 03-04 engine go its 99.9% of the time the pistons and they have gone out at under 400rwhp but have lasted all the way to 900 in trubo applications. All I am trying to say is while he has them apart 03-04 cobra pistons would be one of the worse choices. I am just trying to save the guy a trip down the road I have been down and feel CPs or Diamonds like you say would be a but better choice.

Just trying to save him money in the long run.

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
I heard somewhere along the way that LT are not good with FI motors. It had something to do with the FI kit would have its own piping setup i think? Whats the word on this matter?

Lots of air in, you gotta get it out efficiently.
With a free flowing exhaust, your boost number will be lower,
but the power will be higher.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member

Long tubes are great with FI engines. Really its just the turbo kits that wont be compatable with mid or long tubes and some turbo kits are compatible with shorty headers. If you are planning on going with a supercharger centri or PD then long tubes are a good idea.

CobraBro77

Established Member
Maybe someone on this forum could help me out, Ive got a 96 S/C Cobra with a very conservative tune pushing about 400 rwhp. Thats all i want on the stock internals but i know a guy selling manley forged pistons and rods for an 03 cobra for a great price. What all would need to be done to make them fit my 96 cobra??

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
Maybe someone on this forum could help me out, Ive got a 96 S/C Cobra with a very conservative tune pushing about 400 rwhp. Thats all i want on the stock internals but i know a guy selling manley forged pistons and rods for an 03 cobra for a great price. What all would need to be done to make them fit my 96 cobra??
Dont bump an 8 year old thread to ask a question. Make your own. There is nothing needed to "make it fit". You will need to know the bore of the pistons and then you will need to have your block machined and your rotating assembly balanced. If you don't understand how that works I suggest you take the time to do some research about building an engine.

CobraBro77

Established Member
Look man i think it obvious i dont know everything there is about these cars but between work and school i find the little time i have to learn what i can. I knew the machine work that had to be done and of course it would have to be balanced just knew there were differences between the two engines so just needed a quick answer as im not the only one interested in the rods and pistons. But "thank you so much" for the much needed advice, ill keep it in mind. So sorry i didnt pay attention to the date of the thread.

Users who are viewing this thread