03-04 Reman engine info.

TVSCobra

Established Member
Just got done installing my remanned engine and I am in absolute love. Very straight forward swap, and this is coming from a guy who had never changed his own oil in his life a couple years ago. Did thr whole swap my self. It is such a screaming deal :)

My new engine only has 70 miles on it at the moment ;-)

did you see the procedure I posted on break-in? I also pm'd you.

JDUB348

Established Member

Yea I did. Haven't driven the car much as I'm waiting until the weekend to take a look at my exhaust.. I think I may have an exhaust leak as my air/fuel ratio is a little off at idle. Don't wanna get on it at all until I get it addressed

BMR Tech

That would be correct. 284 CI of fury! The compression would also be "lightly" higher, assuming they use the stock dish that came in an original 03-04 Cobra.

BMR Tech

It would be AMAZING if someone was able to send this company who builds these, a set of pistons and cams to install when building the engine....

9.5:1 CR - .425 lift / 220 duration cams.... Yummy.

BMR Tech

One last question....

Does it come with a new crank damper, or do you have to re-use your old stuff?

Warrior627

Established Member

I'm calling AutoNation (Tousey) on Monday. TVSCobra could you send me a copy or link of the break in procedure. Did your price include shipping one way, both ways? And if your willing, final total cost so I know what to expect. Thank you for any info.

svtshadow

Banned
I'm calling AutoNation (Tousey) on Monday. TVSCobra could you send me a copy or link of the break in procedure. Did your price include shipping one way, both ways? And if your willing, final total cost so I know what to expect. Thank you for any info.

Shipping is both ways. Just put your old motor in the crate that came with the new motor and call Tousley. Tousley will then call however it is that they use for shipping to come pick it up.

I broke in my reman. motor by not reving it pass 3200rpms and a lot of downshifting for 1200 miles. Best motor i ever purchased.

GL

Warrior627

Established Member
Quick update, ordered on 10/22/13 engine at my friends shop 10/25/13!(MN to MA)! Mike at AutoNation is excellent to deal with, fast straight forward process. I did order two new idlers, fuel filter, and a few misc bolts. Total price with shipping was $6374 which I'll get $2000 back when I return the core. $4374 delivered long block.

Rich-C

Established Member
I just picked up mine 4 days ago. $6250 was billed to my CC and that included shipping to and from Buffalo NY. Drove it across the US-CAN border myself and had to pay 13% tax...ouch.

It comes with harmonic balancer and oil cooler. It also comes with intake, and exhaust manifold gaskets.

TVSCobra

Established Member

After a lot of research here is how I started the break in and seated the rings.

Started by using 5w-30 Conventional oil with a bottle of GM EOS. I primed the engine through the oil pressure switch port using a bug sprayer and a hose barb. I let the engine idle and warm up while I bleed the power steering and cooling system, also checked for leaks. After about 10 mins I drained the oil and changed the filter. Refilled with the same valvoline and EOS, test drove the car. Got to some open road and started in 3rd gear around 1k rpms, when 1/4 throttle to 4k, then let the engine compression brake back to 1k. Did this 4-5 times, then 1/2 throttle doing the same, then 3/4 throttle doing the same. Did this for about 20 miles.

Drained the oil and changed the filter. Refilled with Joe Gibbs break in oil (conventional 5w-30). I did the same procedure on the way home. I'm going run this oil for another 200 miles and change the oil and filter to conventional again. Ill will change the oil and filter every 500 miles until I have about 4k on this engine. Full syn 5w-30 will then go in.

I have to say I can already feel that this engine has way for power than the previous one. When it is under 50 outside I can break the tires loose in 2nd gear 3k rpms at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle.

Sajin

Established Member
.20 over, revised heads, 75,000 to 100,000 mile warranty. :thumbsup:

Warrior627

Established Member
Still not a good idea to get into boost in 5th and 6th gears even with the revised heads, better pistons, and I'm assuming till I hear differently that the PTC clearances are better than factory 03 specs??? I'm having a hard time deciding wether to keep my cobra, having 6 gears and only fully using 4 of them is bs. I am still running the stock Eaton and I know that is a heat source, I'd consider porting if you guys think that would enable boost in 5/6. Any facts or experiences are welcome.

Sajin

Established Member
Still not a good idea to get into boost in 5th and 6th gears even with the revised heads, better pistons, and I'm assuming till I hear differently that the PTC clearances are better than factory 03 specs??? I'm having a hard time deciding wether to keep my cobra, having 6 gears and only fully using 4 of them is bs. I am still running the stock Eaton and I know that is a heat source, I'd consider porting if you guys think that would enable boost in 5/6. Any facts or experiences are welcome.

Can't use 5th and 6th gears? I've been to 160 mph many times, once I reach 160 I let off though and don't hold it. ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread