03-04 cobra vs. C6 Z06 on road course

racebronco2

Established Member
One would think that if you spend that kind of cash on a track oriented car such as the zo6 you wouldn't have spend additional $$$ to make sure it doesn't blow up and cost you 13g's for a new engine. That right there would turn me towards a c5 zo6 just for piece of mind.

Danny Popp even said the c5 is a much better track car than the C6ZO6, The article was in a previous Grassroots Motorsports in which they asked what was the best open track car.

KILRSVT

Established Member
Danny popp would know he's a fast autocrosser as well. Also Ive seen a lot more faster C5z06 than C6. I've driven a C5 Z06 at an autocross on A6's stock other than the tires. It was impressive the handling the balanced and the power but at the end of the day for some dumb reason I still prefer my high horsepower unbalanced pushy mustang lol it does a good job making me grin

To BLlkbgt the new M3 ruin the main bearings causing ticking and bottom end noises BMW hasn't found the reason more than likely over rev that's a 70k track oriented car as well this happens with sports cars here and there

Last edited:

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
If anyone ever wants to nose around my C5Z06 at a track event, let me know. I'd put it up against most anything that does not have carbon fiber panels and aero.

I do occassionaly miss my Cobra's though. Only occassionally.

-Kevin

racebronco2

Established Member
If anyone ever wants to nose around my C5Z06 at a track event, let me know. I'd put it up against most anything that does not have carbon fiber panels and aero.

I do occassionaly miss my Cobra's though. Only occassionally.

-Kevin
I know you are a very capable driver but most of the time at the hpde events it's the average guy driving his street car. So i take it he was talking about street cars. Street car vs street cars the terminators can hang with the mid pack driver with a good driver of course.

brkntrxn

Established Member
Carlos,

I agree with you. I was only offering to show anyone that was interested what a race-prepped, non-aero'ed Corvette actually looks like. Here in the Southeast, they are hard to come by. You either have a street Corvette with a wanna-be racer driving it like granny or you have all-out ST winged wonders driven by excellent drivers. Mine is somewhere in between and is a great race comparison to some of the similarly prepped Mustangs.

brkntrxn

Established Member
LOL, I have a video of a race this past Spring down at Roebling Road in Georgia. Lots of Mustangs running in ST passed me that day. Everyone that watched the video asked me, "I thought Corvettes were faster than Mustangs?"

Gray Ghost GT

Established Member
I played with an Instructor driven Corvette C6 Grand Sport (...a Z06 with an LS3) for a couple of laps in my '09 Mustang GT (325 rwhp).

The video starts with setting up the chase at the end of the back straight from Oak Tree into Roller Coaster at VIR:

Mustang GT chases C6 Grand Sport around VIR.wmv - YouTube

I've since installed a set of Comp Cams 17400 and a BBK throttle body. Now at 360 rwhp... should hold them better in the straights.

Last edited:

csvt98

Road Course Ringer
Established Member
For a Terminator you will need cooling mods, either mm or griggs suspension parts and some wide sticky R comps. But it really depends on driver, plus with a c6z his car is still twice as much as a full suspensioned modded Cobra. Plus I passed c6zs in my 97 cobra and zr1's. But its on CMP in Kershaw, SC. Got youtube vid, just look up bens98gt. Its one of the videos.

brkntrxn

Established Member
I'll brag on Ben who just posted as csvt98, very fast driver. The last time I sat in his right seat (Roebling), I had nothing to tell him.

Users who are viewing this thread