03/04 Cobra GEN 3 tvs 2650 review specs

stangfreak

Established Member
It was nice of VMP to give the terminator a shoutout for getting them started and saying they will take care of us

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

I bought my cobra when they first hit the dealership. and I still own it. 12,000 miles on the car and its in mint condition. when the 2.2 kenne bell came out, it was the next best thing. Everyone wanted a kb cobra. The twinscrew aftermarket blew up. we got a mustang with a forged motor, 600rwhp with a blower swap. Back then it was the shit. I remember the GT guys getting pissed off at me at mustang magic when we did a simple pulley swap and gained tons of tq and hp. 70 dollar part and this kids walkin out the shop with a shit grin he said hahaha. Usually with the older mustangs, all I heard was procharger or vortech. Not a PD blower.

The 03 cobra will always have new blowers if whipple, kb, vmp produce something new. It kicked started it.

yea I will get bashed for saying this and people will start to joke about, oh the cobra made the twinscrew famous, which in turned spawned this and that, yea I get it. I am not going that far. I was just around from day one when the cobra came out and saw the twinscrew swap just blow up. In turn, we will always a new blower. It is what is.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
I bought my cobra when they first hit the dealership. and I still own it. 12,000 miles on the car and its in mint condition. when the 2.2 kenne bell came out, it was the next best thing. Everyone wanted a kb cobra. The twinscrew aftermarket blew up. we got a mustang with a forged motor, 600rwhp with a blower swap. Back then it was the shit. I remember the GT guys getting pissed off at me at mustang magic when we did a simple pulley swap and gained tons of tq and hp. 70 dollar part and this kids walkin out the shop with a shit grin he said hahaha. Usually with the older mustangs, all I heard was procharger or vortech. Not a PD blower.

The 03 cobra will always have new blowers if whipple, kb, vmp produce something new. It kicked started it.

yea I will get bashed for saying this and people will start to joke about, oh the cobra made the twinscrew famous, which in turned spawned this and that, yea I get it. I am not going that far. I was just around from day one when the cobra came out and saw the twinscrew swap just blow up. In turn, we will always a new blower. It is what is.

You can tell there is a little bit of resentment from people about the Cobra in posts and I'm not sure why. I get what you are saying though. Too much Cobra attention can get you a negative response. ha

Last edited:

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
I am ready for a gently used Gen 2 2.3 TVS/GT500 combo for my 03 swapped 02 GT.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Ford>Chevy

Established Member
I am ready for a gently used Gen 2 2.3 TVS/GT500 combo for my 03 swapped 02 GT.

What would be super cool would be a Tork Tech 2v with TFS Heads and this blower coupled with E85......Lordy that would be a fairly unique build though I imagine you'd be leaving a good amount of power on the table staying 2v and using this blower even with TFS heads.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Nice review, Danny. I'm sure a lot of '03-'04 owners are smiling wide with this news.

@Snagged, my experience back in the day with GT owners was the opposite of yours. A simple pulley change on my '03 Cobra would draw a lot of envy from GT owners in the Mustang club (over 50) I belonged to at the time. Except for one particular GT owner, that is. LOL.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
Nice review, Danny. I'm sure a lot of '03-'04 owners are smiling wide with this news.

@Snagged, my experience back in the day with GT owners was the opposite of yours. A simple pulley change on my '03 Cobra would draw a lot of envy from GT owners in the Mustang club (over 50) I belonged to at the time. Except for one particular GT owner, that is. LOL.

Oh for sure and I get that too. I was talking about something else that goes on today with a few people I've noticed.

whtwhale

Established Member
Well they've got one sold with me that's for sure. I've been in between the whipple 2.3 and the VMPtvs for my Mark VIII build. This makes it a done deal. These 4v mod motors have boost all figured out by now and with lots of people jumping to coyote there good 4v deals popping up. Thank to VMP for supporting the 03/04!

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Makes more power than the 4.0 Whipple, but easier on the crank studs than the stock Eaton, makes less heat than an LED light bulb.

Honestly, I don’t think you will see anything until one is on a car.

I think it will make more mid range than a 2.9 Whipple but slightly less HP.

SVT Zorro

Established Member
proud owner of a 03 Cobra, started with stock eaton next ported Eaton, next 2.2 KB, next 2.3 Whipple Gen II and soon this new Gen 3 2.65 VMP , (2.3 Gen 2 will be for sale soon)

Users who are viewing this thread