IMAG0088.jpg

here's a better look at the hotside

IMAG0093.jpg

IMAG0092.jpg

IMAG0091.jpg

IMAG0090.jpg

f2hatch

Established Member
Great build cant wait to see it all done. Are you happy with the CG Fab headers and hot side? I was going make my own but I have been thinking for the price of his I might as well just buy them. They look like nice quality.

B0B

Established Member
Great build cant wait to see it all done. Are you happy with the CG Fab headers and hot side? I was going make my own but I have been thinking for the price of his I might as well just buy them. They look like nice quality.

well heres what i did. i bought the CG fab headers and got them and checked them out. i was going to go with his hotside but after getting the headers i decided to buy a tig welder and do it myself. after 2 weeks of practice, i got my hotside done and it looks almost as good as the headers. So, yes the headers are of good quality, but i guarantee if he was building them for his own car he would have done a better job. so everything except the headers i'm fabbing myself.

Entrenched

Established Member
well heres what i did. i bought the CG fab headers and got them and checked them out. i was going to go with his hotside but after getting the headers i decided to buy a tig welder and do it myself. after 2 weeks of practice, i got my hotside done and it looks almost as good as the headers. So, yes the headers are of good quality, but i guarantee if he was building them for his own car he would have done a better job. so everything except the headers i'm fabbing myself.

So would you recommend them, or would you recommend just getting it done custom?

B0B

Established Member
So would you recommend them, or would you recommend just getting it done custom?

i would recommend them. its a good product for a fair price. could you get better ones? yes, but it would probably cost more. i'm happy with mine. just not thrilled into raving about them

f2hatch

Established Member
I was planning on just getting the headers not the whole hot side.

B0B

Established Member
got my inner fender panels welded in and smoothed out. engine bay is primed, i need to go over it one more time and sand. then final prime and paint.

IMAG0094.jpg

IMAG0095.jpg

B0B

Established Member
got my new rear wheels and tires put on. 18x10 with a nitto 305/35/18 drag radial.

IMAG0096.jpg

after a long discussion with my dad, i decided to try rattle canning my engine bay. i have all the supplies to do a proper job with a spray gun and REAL paint, but i've never used it and i've never painted anything with it before. i have an air dryer that i need to hook up and i have to buy some paint and supplies. so, after listening to my dad bitch about it being "just and engine bay," i rattle canned it. NOPE!! not good enough, it looks decent. **** decent. i'm going to sand it back down and start over. it will be perfect, nothing less. plus i don't like the gloss look in the engine bay. i'm gonna do my paint code (black - UA) and not do clear over it, just like factory.

IMAG0099.jpg

IMAG0098.jpg

IMAG0097.jpg

f2hatch

Established Member
Just because Your paint code is UA doesn't mean the paint wont be shiny. You can get that code in either a base/clear or single stage both will be glossy unless you just spray the base no clear. that's not a good idea imo. If you are worried about how it will come get single stage the clear is mixed in so you will have only 2 and half coats not 5 coats. Less chance of a run. less time and money also. very easy just on your first coat very light tacky coat then 2 coats for coverage and done.

Daron

Mean01
Established Member
this is absolutely beautiful. What a build ! Honestly havent seen a new edge cobra with a shaved engine bay in person ever. since were neighbors

B0B

Established Member
Just because Your paint code is UA doesn't mean the paint wont be shiny. You can get that code in either a base/clear or single stage both will be glossy unless you just spray the base no clear. that's not a good idea imo. If you are worried about how it will come get single stage the clear is mixed in so you will have only 2 and half coats not 5 coats. Less chance of a run. less time and money also. very easy just on your first coat very light tacky coat then 2 coats for coverage and done.

thanks a lot man i'll do that. I've never done any painting before so i'll take any input i can.

B0B

Established Member
this is absolutely beautiful. What a build ! Honestly havent seen a new edge cobra with a shaved engine bay in person ever. since were neighbors

thanks man! I'm excited to get it done, I'm gonna have Andy down at TMS tune it for me. and i'm getting the suspension tuned at Trueline performance in Bellevue. they do race car suspension and chassis'. that MM stuff is so adjustable its ridiculous. so i'll have to get the bumpsteer worked out and get it aligned.

Amazongt

AKA maxstang AKA max97v6
Established Member

I wouldnt say theres less of a chance of runs in single stage... specially in the engine bay with all the angles and sharp edges. Theres just as much of a chance of two wet coats of single stage running as there is of two wet coats of clear. Ive had my fair share of sags from milking single stage on to try and make it look as nice as base/clear. The deciding factor should be cost. If you want cheap and glossy, then single stage. If you want it to look nice and can spend a little more then I would go with base/clear. Since its your engine bay and you said you didnt want it glossy, I would mix 10% clear hardener into your base coat. It will leave the paint with the correct factory under hood shine and prevent light scratches.

BTW. Im planning on ordering an RSD and door panels from Scottfab in the next couple of weeks-month. How long did it take for your panels to get delivered and was the shipping expensive?

B0B

Established Member
I wouldnt say theres less of a chance of runs in single stage... specially in the engine bay with all the angles and sharp edges. Theres just as much of a chance of two wet coats of single stage running as there is of two wet coats of clear. Ive had my fair share of sags from milking single stage on to try and make it look as nice as base/clear. The deciding factor should be cost. If you want cheap and glossy, then single stage. If you want it to look nice and can spend a little more then I would go with base/clear. Since its your engine bay and you said you didnt want it glossy, I would mix 10% clear hardener into your base coat. It will leave the paint with the correct factory under hood shine and prevent light scratches.

BTW. Im planning on ordering an RSD and door panels from Scottfab in the next couple of weeks-month. How long did it take for your panels to get delivered and was the shipping expensive?

thanks for the info! the fender panels were delivered within two weeks and shipping was cheap. i can't remember the exact price but it was nothing to cringe about. door panels will probably cost a little more cause they're quite a bit bigger

Blwn02

Established Member
im doing this same build pretty much except mine is an 02gt with th400 swap and hellion kit. Ill make a build thread when i get closer!

Users who are viewing this thread