01 cobra vs 2000 camaro SS? who do you think would win

neatofrito1618

Established Member
SD bound? :pop:
A 15 year old racing a Cobra from a dig in the middle of winter in Connecticut, what could possibly go wrong?

I had a mid 13 second car a few months after I got my license. Despite the fact that I abused the shit out of the car I was lucky enough to avoid any accidents, but I did nearly take the powerslides a bit too far more than a couple times.

I then de-modded most of the performance parts and sold it to a 16 year old, who proceeded to wrap it around a utility pole 4 weeks later according to the CarFax I recently looked up.

With that said, statistically speaking this kid is ****ed. He's been ****ed since jump street.

jpac811

Slow 3v
Established Member
i have Sumitomo High Performance tires but i heard there are things you can do to greatly reduce wheel hop

How about good tires? :idea:

:lol:lol Sumitomos are like driving on ice

I would think it would be a drivers race but seeing the lack of experience and the Camaro being automatic, Ill go with the Camaro taking the win. Def take it to the track. You can race with parents permission.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
I'm biased of course but unless the stars align here the Camaro will take a 1/4 run.... Anything longer and it will get ugly.

Fwiw unless we are talking a vert the SS is ~50lbs more than a Z28 at most. Unless you believe Mystic and his corvette curb weight "stripper" numbers. Mine was 3440lbs and made 324/341 with free ram air as my only mod. An auto SS should be 300-310 range on a dynojet.

Last edited:

Jroc

Established Member
Fwiw unless we are talking a vert the SS is ~50lbs more than a Z28 at most. Unless you believe Mystic and his corvette curb weight "stripper" numbers. Mine was 3440lbs and made 324/341 with free ram air as my only mod. An auto SS should be 300-310 range on a dynojet.

Even a full manual car? Manual windows, I think no keyless, manual seat, etc. Mustangs with this same stripper type option save a whole lot more than 50 lbs. Both Foxbody, and SN95 cars. I was pretty sure a stripper LS1 Z28 weighed around 3200 lbs is not slightly less?

Kiohtee

Established Member
A bolt on and geared Cobra will take a stock slowmatic Camaro.

Well no shit! But the bolt-ons that add the grunt aren't what he has... I say his car is probably making a mere 3-8rwhp over stock, which isn't saying much to begin with. His gears are his biggest help right now... The bolt-ons that really matter is longtubes, an SRI, straight-through cat-back, etc.

An M6 LS6 LS1 usually makes 300-310rwhp stock. Quite a few have made more. Deduct 10-15rwhp for an automatic. The '98-00 LS1's usually make 280-290rwhp with an M6 and 275-285rwhp with an automatic. My stock '98 Z28 A4 stayed dead even with an '01 Cobra 'vert with basically the same mods as OP's except 3.73's instead of 4.10's, which I know suck for 4V's.

Alex01

Established Member
With bolt ons and a mailbox tune i never had a problem with camaros. Maybe im just lucky... but stock to stock, i think the camaro could take you.

xsellr8

BANNED
Established Member
Well no shit! But the bolt-ons that add the grunt aren't what he has... I say his car is probably making a mere 3-8rwhp over stock, which isn't saying much to begin with. His gears are his biggest help right now... The bolt-ons that really matter is longtubes, an SRI, straight-through cat-back, etc.

An o/r mid pipe is the biggest bolt on gain you can get next to headers. It will net a solid 10HP and headers only net that much because the cats are gone What are you suggesting, a throttle body? This kids running about the best bolt ons except the flow stoppers :lol:

Stopsign32v

Established Member
An automatic LS1 vs a geared 4v from a dig driven by a 15 year old....LS1 every time

Kiohtee

Established Member
The other kid is probably 15 too. He'll spin all the way. It's down to who's tires blow first

You don't get out much do you?

LS1's are fast stock for what they are, but especially in automatic-trim, they're not gonna blow the tires off from a dig (street or otherwise), much less a roll.

19935.slow

Established Member
The other kid is probably 15 too. He'll spin all the way. It's down to who's tires blow first
Stock tune auto z is the slowest most controlled car ever. Stock converter makes it take forever to even hit 3000 rpms and shifts way below 6000rpms. Btw, op you will probably lose.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Even a full manual car? Manual windows, I think no keyless, manual seat, etc. Mustangs with this same stripper type option save a whole lot more than 50 lbs. Both Foxbody, and SN95 cars. I was pretty sure a stripper LS1 Z28 weighed around 3200 lbs is not slightly less?

Lightest stripper car I know of claims 3370 and he didn't have a full tank... On ls1tech 3380-3390 gets tossed around the most. They do weight a lot less than a full optioned ws6 (3550-3600lbs) but the average z28 isn't packing many options. My car for example has rear defrost, t-tops and power windows. That's it. T-tops are said to be 12-15lbs difference and power windows are claimed to be lighter than manual. Getting down to 3200lbs would take some work IMHO. Removing seats/interior and running 1/4 tank of gas could get you close I think.

Last edited:

04torched

Established Member
ohhhh ya why i have you guys i have another question about off the line take off how do i reduce wheel hop its already lowered with lowering springs but what about subframe connectors? sway bars? anything else? whats the best brands to use? thanks guys:rockon:

Don't know if this has been answered yet but get some lower control arms. Help my Mach out greatly.

Jroc

Established Member
Lightest stripper car I know of claims 3370 and he didn't have a full tank... On ls1tech 3380-3390 gets tossed around the most. They do weight a lot less than a full optioned ws6 (3550-3600lbs) but the average z28 isn't packing many options. My car for example has rear defrost, t-tops and power windows. That's it. T-tops are said to be 12-15lbs difference and power windows 5-10lbs. Getting down to 3200lbs would take some work IMHO. Removing seats/interior and running 1/4 tank of gas could get you close I think.

How do similarly optioned Catfish compared to similarly optioned Fireturds?..... Ummmm I mean LS1 Camaro's compared to LS1 Firebirds?(I kid, I kid :smmon:)

I've always known/heard that the Camaro's setup similarly to the Firebirds(or T/A if you got a WS6, or Firehawks) were suppose to be a little lighter, but I've never really known just how much different they were. Can you even get a no optioned Formula like a Z28? I'm talk manual seats, windows, no keyless, hardtop, etc? What makes the Pontiac weigh more Chevy? I mean something like folding headlights are obvious for adding a little weight, but what else? Maybe just the different shaped body panels are heavier on the Bird than they are on the fish? :shrug:

Last edited:

S8ER01Z

Established Member
The firebird formula is the lightest of the Pontiac side... It's been argued which is lightest (Formula vs Camaro) and no winner has been declared as far as I know.

xsellr8

BANNED
Established Member
You don't get out much do you?

LS1's are fast stock for what they are, but especially in automatic-trim, they're not gonna blow the tires off from a dig (street or otherwise), much less a roll.

No, I've only raced 6 speed LS1s. If the autos are that much more of a turd the kid is going to win if he can control the Slobra

(Still don't think these cars are slow, but we're on SVTP, so whatevs)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread