01 Cobra VS. 00 T/A LT1??

• Cobra

Votes: 36 41.9%
  • Trans Am

Votes: 50 58.1%

• Total voters

VENOMOUSONE

Established Member
I have raced a stock 02 t/a here in the city a few times with my mods listed below. They are very close races but if I get a good launch and don't make my teeth chatter, then I usually will win by about 1/2 a car length.

Stallion9769

Need to Mod
Established Member
Well, I have been reading all the posts thenlast few days and it doesnt look good. We set the race for tonight. After reading the posts I wish I wouldnt have done it but, once you run your mouth theres no backing out. Plus I thik were only gonna race for 50 bucks so to me thats worth it just to see how I do against it. Also, he said hes gonna run 87 gas, like he always has. I always run 93. Doubt that will help much but every little bit helps. ill let ya know how it turns out.

dredg9

Established Member
my buddy has a 2000 TA not a ws6 and it made 295 RWHP/311 tq with a filter.

Duncan_McDougal

V.O.L.V.O Abuser
Established Member
Stallion9769 said:
Well, I have been reading all the posts thenlast few days and it doesnt look good. We set the race for tonight. After reading the posts I wish I wouldnt have done it but, once you run your mouth theres no backing out. Plus I thik were only gonna race for 50 bucks so to me thats worth it just to see how I do against it. Also, he said hes gonna run 87 gas, like he always has. I always run 93. Doubt that will help much but every little bit helps. ill let ya know how it turns out.

For that 50 bucks you could have bought SFC bushings. :shrug:

cobraracer46

Banned
In the looks department, the cobra would win easily, but a road race or autocross competition would be more of a drivers race. In the race to see witch car depreciates "faster", I would say that the T/A is the clear winner. :banana:

Crackerballer

Oh baby!
Established Member
cobraracer46 said:
In the looks department, the cobra would win easily, but a road race or autocross competition would be more of a drivers race. In the race to see witch car depreciates "faster", I would say that the T/A is the clear winner. :banana:

So So true..... Anyway I voted TA, I think hes gonna get you buddy unless that thing has been really beat up.

Stallion9769

Need to Mod
Established Member
Well, we had our race. It had been raining all day but dried up for just long enough for us to run a few times. You guys were all pretty much right. He took me. We raced 3 times to about 100 or so. First run he spun a little to much and I had him bout a half a car till around 60. He cought up and by 100 he was a little less than a car ahead but slowly running from me. The second time was the best run. We both took off really good and he ended up winning by a car or a car and a half. Third run was about the same as the first. It started to get cloudy again so we left. On the way back we got on it a few times. Going about 30 we both kicked down and I had him initially for a good while, not sure how fast we got going, probably around 110, but He wasnt more than half a car at any time during that. All in all it wasnt so bad. I guess I did get shut up but I ran right with him. Very respectable. And he didnt make me pay the 50 bucks since were good buddys. I told him give me a month and ill see him again. With some 4.10's and a JLT CAI hes mine!

Tyler Manwell

4.6 DOHC
Established Member
Thats pretty much the same with me. I had a full exhaust and I think the pulleys and raced my uncles 04 conv. vette. We raced 2 times the first time I put it too him extremely hard. Shifted perfect and everything (my dad was with me he was screaming all the way). we pulled into my drive way and he said lets do it again, he had the traction control still on. so we go at it agian I had him off the line by 3 cars ,no joke and he races allot, and all the sudden he starts to pull me in. at about 95 he starts to pull past my window and then at 105-110 he was about a car and half in front of me. Like I said before those damn cars have a hell of a top end I still had the 3:27. I haven't run him lately cause I have allot more stuff done to the car now but the next problem I have is the traction, and everyone knows what has to happen to fix that. Thats my next project on the car

dredg9

Established Member
Sorry to say but i bet you wont beat him with 4.10s and JLT either. when I raced my friend in his ls1 after I got gears I lost by more. Make sure you get drag radials or you will lose by more most likely, it happened to me. Thing that sucks is all he has to do is buy an intake and he probably would have you again. My buddy has a strong car with a catback,intake, 3.42 gears and a stall with me having intake, 4.10s, xpipe, catback,tune and pullies and he has me by a 1/2 car most of the time.

1999-COBRA-6661

[S]pecial[V]ehicle[T]eam
Established Member
This is interesting because my uncle has a 00 Trans Am WS6 with all the boltons and 3.73s. I probably will not run him untill this spring, By then I'll have full exaust, CAI with ported lower, 03 rear and 4.30 gears. It should be a good race, what do you think?

ChipR4cam

Established Member
Between a T/A and a Cobra is always a driver/traction race.

I have a 99 with FMS headers, a VRS x-pipe, and a stock GT catback. Of course it has a live axle but still with stock gears. I also have a filter, a Pro 5.0 shifter, and the key.......315 Nittos on 10.5 bullitts.

I raced a friend earlier this week with a 00 WS6 with a thumper cam, long tubes, a y-pipe, a lid, throttle body, a LS6 intake, and a 12 bolt with 4.30s. It makes 380 to the wheels and it's a 6spd car.

We ran from a dig and I heated the nittos, and launched a 4500 with a little bog, and power shifted every shift. I took him by almost 2 car lengths out of the hole and still had him off my back bumper by half a car when I let off at 110 (about a 1/4 mile). As long as I had a good launch I took him every time. He's not a bad driver but it takes alot of finess to keep traction out of the hole in his car, and he didn't power shift.

You have to know how to drive your car out of the hole.......period. and I would say I'm probably an above average driver . Only n/a mod motors though, I can't drive anything else that well. I took my friends 01 Cobra vert with only 3.73s and a shifter to a 13.5@102 on stock tires on the first pass. They had never broken into the 13s yet and he owns a 530rwhp 93 Cobra. and another friends 96 to a 12.9@ 107 on DRs on the first pass and he couldn't do better than 13.20s. Another 96 went 13.5s while the owner could only do 13.80s on his very best pass.

I'm not trying to brag I'm just saying drivers make all of the difference in the world, and it takes tons of practice to get good.

Last edited:

dredg9

Established Member
--I'm not trying to brag I'm just saying drivers make all of the difference in the world, and it takes tons of practice to get good.---

Very true. Key is to get them out of the hole.

Last edited:

CobraG

Established Member
These Cobra's are faster than I thought to even keep up with a WS6 is impressive and a Vette too, or beat the Vette I should say, at least in one race.

Where my wife works, one guy has an SS Camaro and another a TA, I think the TA has some exhaust work and that's it, while the SS is stock.

She asks me who would win and I always say they would, but now I'm wondering, with some mods, hmmmm

Stallion9769

Need to Mod
Established Member
Yeah, with a few mods I think I could have took the TA. I was happy to give him a run for his money. I stayed close enough he was getting worried.

CobraG

Established Member
Stallion9769 said:
Yeah, with a few mods I think I could have took the TA. I was happy to give him a run for his money. I stayed close enough he was getting worried.

That's cool, good job man, now I have some hope for running with them. JLT RAI install this weekend :)

cobra2798

I have no car
Established Member
There was a guy at a meet i attended last week with a 93' Firehawk. It has a 350 with exhaust and he is spraying, not sure of what size shot. He said he runs 12.7 spraying. This tells me that this car is not that quick. If he didnt spray i would take him. My best run was a 12.98 and im not the best driver. What kind of power do those cars make stock and do you think i would beat him spraying or not?

SpittinVenom

Established Member
It should be a drivers race. At the track the races are usually pretty close, but on the street it just seems that my cobra hooks better. I love racing my friend in his 99 WS6 M6. On the street it just depends on who gets the better launch, but at the track for some reason his 330ft's are killer and pulls 13.20's all day, and its bone stock.

allibabu

is my s/n
Established Member
good question. i think it depends on the driver. i had an 00 ws6 before my 01 cobra. the ws6 was an auto. top end was the ws6, take off is my cobra. the one thing i liked better in my ws6 was the seats... so much more comfortable and durable. :-D

Tyler Manwell

4.6 DOHC
Established Member
Hey allibabu, it good to see some more Oklahoma guys in here. I love my cobra seats they blow the doors of my old 96 cobra seats. I really like the bolstering on the sides, my only complaint is that the leather wears easly.

Users who are viewing this thread