01 cobra vert vs mach

Bob Cosby

Established Member
Internet threats of physical violence....gee, its 3rd Grade Playground rules all over again.

Anyway...

CobraGuy99 said:
My opinion is that if a stock 99/01 Cobra with the same 3.55s lined up, the Mach would BARELY win. The mach is a one trick pony in my opinion and it does that trick VERY well. But I think the Cobra has more potential with a built bottom end than the Mach. Add boost or N20, look the **** out. There is this dude with 4.56s and drag radials in the New Edge forum and he regularly beats the shit out of just about everything out there.

The "bottom ends" of the motors don't make a difference in power making potential. However, the Mach 1 has better heads than the 99/01 Cobra, and thus once the engine building start (and assuming N/A), will make better power. For evidence, every competitive NMRA Factory Stock racer uses 03/04 heads. I certainly did on my 99.

Keeping the internals stock, and allowing only "bolt-ons", then things get much more interesting.

BM1

Established Member
CobraGuy99 said:
For what its worth, the T-3650 is a shit box. I will keep my T-45 thank you very much.

This is what we like to refer to as the pot calling the kettle black.

Last edited:

CY98Cobra

Established Member
I understand, but there's no denying the fact that a stock T56 is a more durable and reliable transmission than a stock T45.

Bob Cosby

Established Member
You're correct, won't argue that one. It's also very heavy, and difficult (relatively speaking) to powershift. Of course, I just showed my bias, too. :)

Bob

TR03Mach1

Black Snake
Established Member
CobraGuy99 said:
My opinion is that if a stock 99/01 Cobra with the same 3.55s lined up, the Mach would BARELY win.
But a stock 99/01 Cobra doesn't come with 3.55's, you lose!

CobraGuy99 said:
The mach is a one trick pony in my opinion and it does that trick VERY well.
Think so? I saw numerous Mach 1's at the 40th Anniversary celebration at Nashville Superspeedway do a VERY good job of out pacing New Edge Cobras during the open track events.

CobraGuy99 said:
But I think the Cobra has more potential with a built bottom end than the Mach.
Again, I don't believe a stock 99/01 Cobra comes with a built bottom end. It pretty much has the same internals as the Mach 1 does.

CobraGuy99 said:
Add boost or N20, look the **** out. There is this dude with 4.56s and drag radials in the New Edge forum and he regularly beats the shit out of just about everything out there.
Well goody goody for him! I'll be sure and give him a cookie for that! So what, you think that a Mach 1 can't have forged internals, 4.56 gears, drag radials, boost, or nitrous? Wake up dude, anything you can do, a Mach 1 can do better! You New Edge Cobra boys just seem to get all butt hurt over that fact, but it's still a fact.

CobraGuy99 said:
For what its worth, the T-3650 is a shit box. I will keep my T-45 thank you very much.
Well, you almost have a valid point here. The TR3650 does have some serious issues, but I don't think I'd trade mine for a T45.

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
TR03Mach1 said:
Wake up dude, anything you can do, a Mach 1 can do better! You New Edge Cobra boys just seem to get all butt hurt over that fact, but it's still a fact.
Except in Factory Stock(04) where the top two 4v's were :poke: 99 cobras ;-) and a 99 holds that crown to this day :thumbsup:
Also a 98(?) Cobra holds the title for fastest stock long block, followed closely by Bob Cosby in his 99, and then Angus slightly behind in his Mach...( I believe I read that Angus just became the fastest n/a long block mach 1)

And btw the Mach 1 is still slower than the LS1- stock for stock :poke: who's butt hurt now? :lol1: :lol1: :pepper:

Kidding of Course

Last edited:

TR03Mach1

Black Snake
Established Member
E. Green Cobra said:
Except in Factory Stock(04) where the top two 4v's were :poke: 99 cobras ;-) and a 99 holds that crown to this day :thumbsup:
Also a 98(?) Cobra holds the title for fastest stock long block, followed closely by Bob Cosby in his 99, and then Angus slightly behind in his Mach...( I believe I read that Angus just became the fastest n/a long block mach 1)

And btw the Mach 1 is still slower than the LS1- stock for stock :poke: who's butt hurt now? :lol1: :lol1: :pepper:

Kidding of Course
All that means is that there are very few serious drag racers with Mach 1's that are willing to shell out the big bucks to keep the car n/a when it's so much easier and less expensive to go FI to get the low et's and high trap speeds. I know I wouldn't do it, that's why I bolted a 10lb. bottle of go fast gas in the trunk.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
E. Green Cobra said:

Reading the entire thread owns you. Those 99 Cobras use the Mach heads :poke:

Bob Cosby said:
The "bottom ends" of the motors don't make a difference in power making potential. However, the Mach 1 has better heads than the 99/01 Cobra, and thus once the engine building start (and assuming N/A), will make better power. For evidence, every competitive NMRA Factory Stock racer uses 03/04 heads. I certainly did on my 99.

Last edited:

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
CY98Cobra said:
Reading the entire thread owns you. Those 99 Cobras use the Mach heads :poke:
Ah..er...da... they also use 99/01 intake cams :coolman: and seriously they use "Cobra heads" :-D, and those two stock long block cars used B and C heads respectively, but thanks for the lesson :bored: btw I was responding to this comment:
TR03Mach1 said:
Wake up dude, anything you can do, a Mach 1 can do better!
Which unfortunately for the poster isn't true in those cases... :beer:

TR03Mach1 said:
All that means is that there are very few serious drag racers with Mach 1's that are willing to shell out the big bucks to keep the car n/a when it's so much easier and less expensive to go FI to get the low et's and high trap speeds. I know I wouldn't do it, that's why I bolted a 10lb. bottle of go fast gas in the trunk.
Big bucks?, Jim, Bob and Bill were all using bolt ons, some weight reduction and good driving :coolman: Which most folks already have (or end up doing) :shrug: unless you skipped the bolton's and went straight for the N20 Gold? :dw: :thumbsup:

TR03Mach1

Black Snake
Established Member
E. Green Cobra said:
btw I was responding to this comment: Which unfortunately for the poster isn't true in those cases... :beer:
I still say it's true, just nobody with a Mach 1 wants to go to the effort and expense of trying to go fast with a n/a Mach, when it's much cheaper to go even faster with either a blower or nitrous.

E. Green Cobra said:
Big bucks?, Jim, Bob and Bill were all using bolt ons, some weight reduction and good driving :coolman: Which most folks already have (or end up doing) :shrug: unless you skipped the bolton's and went straight for the N20 Gold? :dw: :thumbsup:
Well there's no way you're going to get a n/a 4V, be it in a 99/01 Cobra, an 03/04 Mach 1, or an 03 Marauder or Aviator, to produce some serious horsepower without dipping into the FR500/Ford Racing parts bins, and that stuff doesn't come cheap! Then there's the suspension parts that are required, again, not cheap! Put all those dollars up against my $750 investment in a nitrous kit, installed on a lightly modded 03 Mach 1, that has me capable of running high 11's at close to 120mph, and then you can start to understand why so many other Mach 1 owners go the FI route and leave the n/a stuff to those with money to burn.

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
TR03Mach1 said:
I still say it's true, just nobody with a Mach 1 wants to go to the effort and expense of trying to go fast with a n/a Mach, when it's much cheaper to go even faster with either a blower or nitrous.

Well there's no way you're going to get a n/a 4V, be it in a 99/01 Cobra, an 03/04 Mach 1, or an 03 Marauder or Aviator, to produce some serious horsepower without dipping into the FR500/Ford Racing parts bins, and that stuff doesn't come cheap! Then there's the suspension parts that are required, again, not cheap! Put all those dollars up against my $750 investment in a nitrous kit, installed on a lightly modded 03 Mach 1, that has me capable of running high 11's at close to 120mph, and then you can start to understand why so many other Mach 1 owners go the FI route and leave the n/a stuff to those with money to burn.

Jeff Schmell runs (or at least did before the last major rule changes) Factory Stock with a Mach1 :read: the main point is after a certain number of mods the cars -be it a New edge or a Mach 1 become the same bloody thing, solid axle, big gears, some form of a 4v...

As far as whats possible with a n/a 4v and stock (hard) parts I think you need to do a little bit more research.... :rollseyes

TR03Mach1

Black Snake
Established Member
E. Green Cobra said:
Jeff Schmell runs (or at least did before the last major rule changes) Factory Stock with a Mach1 :read: the main point is after a certain number of mods the cars -be it a New edge or a Mach 1 become the same bloody thing, solid axle, big gears, some form of a 4v...

As far as whats possible with a n/a 4v and stock (hard) parts I think you need to do a little bit more research.... :rollseyes
Two reasons why I don't need to do more research.... a.) you're doing it all for me.... and b.) I don't care what's possible with a n/a 4v, since I don't have one.

As for your first statement above, yeah, you're right. At some point they will morph into some form of the same vehicle, no doubt! But until that point is reached, I still say the Mach 1 has the advantage.

Bob Cosby

Established Member
LOL. Stock for stock, and certainly in a drag race, the Mach does have the advantage.

After that, all bets are off. :)

Bob

PS....In 2004 F/S trim, I had a 99 Cobra, with a 97 block/crank, 99 intake, 01 cams, and 03 heads. :D

Users who are viewing this thread