Rear End Pop/Tink poll

Does your '03 Cobra rear end pop/tink?

• My car's rear end pops/tinks when starting out in first or sometimes in reverse.

Votes: 107 31.4%
  • My car's rear end pops/tinks when turning on an incline.

Votes: 89 26.1%
  • My car's rear end pops/tinks when starting out AND when turning on an incline.

Votes: 69 20.2%
  • My car's rear end does not pop/tink ever.

Votes: 76 22.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DOHC03

Established Member
I had the TSB done on my car a few months ago, that fixed the problem for a while. Now it seems to be coming back. This is different than clunk/thud.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
My pop has not reappeared since I had the halfshafts and hubs replaced. I did blow a hole in my rear end cover going around a turn in second gear when my car wheel hopped. The dealer replaced the differential cover under warranty. My 80 mph+ vibe has unfortunately returned. It's not as bad as it was originally, but I will have to get it in for a fix sometime in the near future.

If you have one of these rear end problems, please call Ford [1-800-FORDSVT] and let them know the problem and what you do about it including results. The more people that call, the more chance that Ford will address the IRS deficiencies. I see by the numbers on the poll that this seems to be another common problem with our cars. Hopefully if enough of us call, Ford will work on a permanent fix. Good luck to everyone who needs repairs.

Cliff

Bingo13

Established Member
I still have the pop issues even after providing all of the information to my dealer. They blamed the noises on the exhaust system.
I had the rear hub nuts checked by another shop and the torque specs were at 188/212 instead of 250.
They retorqued them so the tink is gone but the pop is getting worse everyday. I was told the halfshafts were showing wear again. Of course the first dealership refuses to look at the car again. :mj:

TRBO VNM

mine seems to do this when I turn or when on incline. I don't think the dealer could duplicate it....go figure. But I will probably bring it back in for them to look at after I read some more on here about it. It's good that it doesn't cause other problems, but it is annoying and it shouldn't do it. Hopefully it is just torqing something.

03 COBRA SB

Rocky Mtn. SVT Cobra
Established Member
i was backing up through a dip onto a incline and heard a pop, is this the same thing?

BLK_03

Established Member
Cobra SB,

There are two different sounds that occur:

1) A "pop" that is apparent while turning the car up or down and incline. Solution to this point involves retorquing the rear IRS bolts and replacing the front IRS bolt (12mm, a mistake at the Ford factory) with the correctly sized 14mm bolt.

2) A sound dubbed as the "tink" that occurs while just starting off in first or reverse. You can reproduce this sound by taking off in first, stopping, putting the car in reverse, then taking off in reverse. You can make your car "tink" by doing this back and forth. As the car gets worse you can actually hear it making the sound on 2-3 and 3-4 shifts. Solution at this point has involved replacing the rear hubs and half shafts although some have gone this route only to have the dreaded "tink" sound come back...

Yours sounds like #1. :-D

Hicompression

Hah!
Established Member
I had #2 (pop/tink -reverse/forward). Thanks to flyn high and Chicago Mike's posts, I was able to get the dealer to replace both of the rear halfshafts and hubs. This completely fixed the problem! It hasn't come back. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Revisiting this post, I'm going back to the dealer soon. tink is a little worst and pop happens all the time now.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
My old pop/tink poll! This brings back memories [wiping a tear from my eye]. A lot more responses since I saw this last. The percentage of people with the pop sure makes me believe this is a common problem with our cars. There are still people starting threads about the starting out in first pop/tink nearly every week. C'mon, Ford, where's the TSB or recall? :shrug:

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Car is at the dealer now, they are replacing my TOB and did the reflash. But they can't hear the tink I have????

tstrick9

Established Member
my enitre rear end assembly was replaced at 4500 miles, which pretty much cured the clunk..but the tink/pop from a stop returned within approx 400 miles. now the car is at the dealer for some further repair which also requires the car to quote "sit for 24 hours before they recheck it for the noise." ???? I guess the glue has to set!!! :)

BlueOvalBill

Established Member
Originally posted by tstrick9
I guess the glue has to set!!! :)

That's funny!

I thought my tink noise was coming back about 6 weeks after I had both halfshafts replaced under warranty. But it was more of a popping noise than the tinka-tinka-tink noise that I was hearing before the halfshafts were replaced. I had the MM IRS sub-frame bushings and 14 mm bolts installed (and I noticed that the shocks were unbolted from the lower control arms and reattached during the installation of the IRS sub-frame bushings). After the bushings and 14 mm bolts were installed, the popping is gone. I noticed that the popping noise would only be made when starting out from a stop in 1st gear, but not in reverse. So, in that way it was different than the tink, which happened when starting to move from a stop in both first gear and reverse.

tstrick9

Established Member
i was almost right.. the warranty bill for the 2nd set of half shafts shows where the dealer charged ford for a bottle of loctite!! so far no tinking though

Coiled03

Established Member
I don't think I've ever had any pop/tink noises resembling halfshaft noises. Halfshaft noise is pretty distinct, too, so I'd think I'd know if I had.

snidow

Established Member
Bought an 04 Vert on 8/7/04 already been in the shop for #2, pop on incline, got it out of the shop and five miles down the road same thing happened. I just emailed the dealer the TSB I found on this site and plan on taking it back to the dealer.

But, I love this car it's great and I have 1200 mile on it so far

hmwave

Established Member
What did they replace on the car, anything?

It will need new halfshafts and hubs to eliminate the tink/pop.

PacWest

Established Member
I've got the pop/tick for sure. It's worse on an incline and I hear it every day now.

Looks like I need to get this looked at.

RT

SaleenSpeed

Stock Block Rockin
Established Member
I have a similar popping noise in my car and I have no idea what it is. I have an '89 LX but aren't the rearends/rear setups kind of similar anyway? I tend to notice mine most when going into 1st gear from a stop and going over speed bumps/inlicnes slowly. Anyone know what else could be causing this noise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread