Rear End Pop/Tink poll

Does your '03 Cobra rear end pop/tink?

• My car's rear end pops/tinks when starting out in first or sometimes in reverse.

Votes: 107 31.4%
  • My car's rear end pops/tinks when turning on an incline.

Votes: 89 26.1%
  • My car's rear end pops/tinks when starting out AND when turning on an incline.

Votes: 69 20.2%
  • My car's rear end does not pop/tink ever.

Votes: 76 22.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CHeRNoBYL

Established Member
Okay, so is the popping while going up an incline a TSB that the customer can perform. If so, I would be interested in finding out the details so I could do it myself rather than have some of the grease-monkeys at my dealership (Non-SVT BTW) try to tackle something like this.

Wraith_Cobra

Established Member
I voted none, but I have less than 350 miles so far. Thanks for the info just in case.

Mike
Silver 10th Anniversary Coupe

donaisenbrey

Established Member
Check my sig.................Don

BTW: Every '99, '01, and '03 Cobra I have ever been in, or driven, has the clunk and thud. FORD say's NORMAL. This may be different than the pop and tink.

donaisenbrey

Established Member
Check my sig.................Don

BTW: Every '99, '01, and '03 Cobra I have ever been in, or driven, has the clunk and thud. FORD say's NORMAL. This may be different than the pop and tink.

Sorry.......hopefully the sig will appear this time

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
Clunk/Thud is normal, it happens when you engage a gear after letting out the clutch.

When driving normal, the way the help stop the clunk in the rear is to hold the clutch in a few seconds longer than you normal would - giving the RPM's a chance to spool down so the clutch connects at a low RPM.

Mike

Last edited:

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
When I brought mine in to the dealer for its first [and only so far] visit, they fixed "the vibe" [new driveshaft and rear wheel balancing], The "passenger seat rub" [per tsb], and put in new seat belt retractors. They said the "pop" was normal for our cars, but I think they had it confused with the driveline clunk. It's getting worse so they should be able to hear it now. Chicago Mike has generously offered to provide me with a copy of his invoice with his repairs for the rear end pop. I'll show it to the dealer and see what happens. :)

bossvt

Established Member
I heard this noise for the first time this past Sunday when turning up a driveway type hill and over depression (for drainage) at the same time. It was very distinct. I have 3700 miles on it.

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Mine does it. Didn't for the first 2500 miles. Then one tick, then two ticks. I told the guy at SVT mine does it..

It's not the thud most complain about. It's from wear.

MJ32V

Established Member
flyn high- I have the exact same noise as you describe... it's a sharp, loud metalic tink sound when starting out in 1st or reverse.. Origin of noise is outboard, coming from the center of the wheel. Had "rear pop" TSB performed and both 1/2 shafts replaced... tink is still there. Was wondering what are the "joint assemblies"? Tech at my dealer has been trying to reach SVT for 2 days now... they haven't returned his call yet (arghh!). If I could do the legwork for my tech and let him know what the next course of action is, that would be great. Unfortunately, I (we) are not allowed to call up the SVT tech-line. I don't want to get my tech pissed by me repeatedly calling him. Not sure what to do next.

MJ

budgreen3564

Established Member
have no noise at all. the wife's 2001 gt has it reverse and forward on a turning incline. 99 cobra and 96 gt were same way. no biggie

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Originally posted by MJ32V
flyn high- I have the exact same noise as you describe... it's a sharp, loud metalic tink sound when starting out in 1st or reverse.. Origin of noise is outboard, coming from the center of the wheel. Had "rear pop" TSB performed and both 1/2 shafts replaced... tink is still there. Was wondering what are the "joint assemblies"? Tech at my dealer has been trying to reach SVT for 2 days now... they haven't returned his call yet (arghh!). If I could do the legwork for my tech and let him know what the next course of action is, that would be great. Unfortunately, I (we) are not allowed to call up the SVT tech-line. I don't want to get my tech pissed by me repeatedly calling him. Not sure what to do next.

MJ

Mike's invoice says A99 Replaced both hubs and axles. He had some other unrelated work done it looks like [if I'm interpreting this correctly], so I'll have to wait for my own invoice for an exact list of parts replaced. I'll let everyone know after mine is fixed. Hopefully next week sometime.

ib6-ub9

Established Member
Well i cant say much because i have a gt, but three of my friends have completely shattered the rear ends on their raim air's and ss's, i mean it was pretty bad and they were not far from stock. Cost them 2 grand for a new 12 bolt.:nonono:

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
You know, mine used to tink once in a while, but it went away after the pumpkin was replaced. Weird. Maybe they tightened something down back there.

Johnny Random

SVT Monster
Established Member
I have not heard my pop in several months. The car used to do it quite a bit in and out of my driveway where there is a small incline Never took it in for a fix. Guess it fixed itself.

CobraSS

Established Member
Mine pops coming in and out of my driveway. Only have 500 miles on it. I printed out the TSB someone put a link to and I will be performing that this weekend. See if it fixes it. Later

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
My car is completely stock has the tink when going from a stop. I have also had the pop when comming in my drivway and the stall, 5 times so far. I have 3300 miles on it now.

Is Ford going to address these problems? :??:

Is Ford awaire of these problems? :nonono:

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Is the TSB easy, like can I drive it up on ramps to do it or do you have to take off the wheels to get at the bolts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread