Rear End Pop/Tink poll

Does your '03 Cobra rear end pop/tink?

• My car's rear end pops/tinks when starting out in first or sometimes in reverse.

Votes: 107 31.4%
  • My car's rear end pops/tinks when turning on an incline.

Votes: 89 26.1%
  • My car's rear end pops/tinks when starting out AND when turning on an incline.

Votes: 69 20.2%
  • My car's rear end does not pop/tink ever.

Votes: 76 22.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TEABG

Banned
Not sure if it has been posted but there is a TSB for the pop noise in the rear-end and there is a quick remedy for the concern. If anyone needs it I can post a link to the TSB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

MINGREYCOBRA

Established Member
TEABG said:
Not sure if it has been posted but there is a TSB for the pop noise in the rear-end and there is a quick remedy for the concern. If anyone needs it I can post a link to the TSB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would like to see that if ya could , Thanks Teabag !!
Jeff

big_goomba

I'm Drivin' Sideways
Established Member
BLK_03 said:
Cobra SB,

There are two different sounds that occur:

1) A "pop" that is apparent while turning the car up or down and incline. Solution to this point involves retorquing the rear IRS bolts and replacing the front IRS bolt (12mm, a mistake at the Ford factory) with the correctly sized 14mm bolt.

2) A sound dubbed as the "tink" that occurs while just starting off in first or reverse. You can reproduce this sound by taking off in first, stopping, putting the car in reverse, then taking off in reverse. You can make your car "tink" by doing this back and forth. As the car gets worse you can actually hear it making the sound on 2-3 and 3-4 shifts. Solution at this point has involved replacing the rear hubs and half shafts although some have gone this route only to have the dreaded "tink" sound come back...

Yours sounds like #1. :-D

I've had my IRS re-torqued twice without any luck... :mj:

I didn't see anything on the TSB 03-9-5 regarding wrong hardware, but it sounds like it could be the culprit.

Thanks for the info! :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread