Nice RX7

livinlow

Listen to my whine!
Established Member
Detroit_Doc said:
Am I the only one who finds the idea of putting a big, heavy, 2 valve, cam in the valley 1950s technology tractor engine in such a peice of engineering art revolting?:xpl:

Everyone is ga-ga over the Z06, but it makes an astounding 72 horsepower per liter. In the world of motors, that sucks.

That thing is just perfect with it's turbo rotary.

I agree...those motors pump out some serious numbers and they are lighter than crap...plus they sound mean as hell with the right exhaust...My friend used to have a 3rd gen RX7...it had a single Turbo conversion...(came stock with sequential setup)...full exhaust...and after market intercooler and the HID Clear Headlight conversion. That thing was a beast. I think it ran high 12's while fishtailing down the track. That is also without any tune what so ever...We called it Satan cause it sounded like the devil was coming to get you when that turbo spooled up and exhaust kicked in. Hell, he blew the front compression and it still would spin the tires through all the gears at 15lbs of boost.

Last edited:

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
WTF, how does a thread about an RX7 turn into a "my engine is better than yours" debate. :loser:

Rx7%20002_1280x1024.jpg

That's an RX-7, the other one has ugly sideskirts and rear bumper.

They look clean as is.
rx-7.gif

97white46gt

poon diver
Established Member
I've got a buddy with a silver '93...

Built 383 LS1
Ported Heads
Big cam etc....

I also happen to know the people at Hinson Supercars who originated for the most part the FD LS1 swaps and have had some damn fast cars come out of their shop, including the shop car which is a TT LS1, which has ran at the pump gas drags a few times, wrecked the last time out do to a failed oil pump, but it's back together now... Last I heard the car was deep in the 9's on pump gas and he drives the thing on the street quite frequently.

kuruma

Established Member
wrxfc3s said:
That's not right, and besides, we're talking FD which only comes w/ a turbo... it's close to the 350lbs,

regular 13B doesn't have big iron turbo manifolds, the twin turbo setup, other misc parts....

all FD's came with twin turbos. You actually lose weight when you go single.

ibepressin

Established Member
Detroit_Doc said:
A 13b long block weights 218.5 pounds. A LS1 long block weighs 390 pounds. A LS7 I've been told by my GM powertrain engineer friend should weight about 10 pounds more than an LS1.

Fully dressed an LS1 weighs 497 pounds. OUCH!

Any other B.S. you'd like to spew?

There is a very nice guy over on ls1tech with a ls1 swapped rx7. He autocrosses the car and has a vid link of him weighing in his ls1 rx7 next to a rotary 93 rx7 here are the numbers rotary rx7 front weight 1437 rear weight 1278 = 2715 ls1 swapped rx7 front end weight 1379 rear weight 1353 =2732 total. Thats a difference of 17 lbs and notice the near perfect 50-50 weight dist of the ls1 swapped rx7. Now is there any more B.S YOU'D like to spew? :loser:

svtcontour

Established Member
Detroit_Doc said:
Am I the only one who finds the idea of putting a big, heavy, 2 valve, cam in the valley 1950s technology tractor engine in such a peice of engineering art revolting?:xpl:

Everyone is ga-ga over the Z06, but it makes an astounding 72 horsepower per liter. In the world of motors, that sucks.

That thing is just perfect with it's turbo rotary.

Nope you're not the only one... I think the rotary is a perfect engine for a light weight car like the RX7.

I've never been in a 3rd gen but I did go for a spin in my friends first gen (quite heavily modded) which made about 350rwhp (according to him) and it was totally disgusting how fast it went. I guess its because it weighs nothing.
He sold the car but here is a small pic and a brief list of mods. Anyway I couldnt imagine his car being any better other than the way it was.
http://www.mazspeed.com/purplebeast.htm

svtcontour

Established Member
ibepressin said:
There is a very nice guy over on ls1tech with a ls1 swapped rx7. He autocrosses the car and has a vid link of him weighing in his ls1 rx7 next to a rotary 93 rx7 here are the numbers rotary rx7 front weight 1437 rear weight 1278 = 2715 ls1 swapped rx7 front end weight 1379 rear weight 1353 =2732 total. Thats a difference of 17 lbs and notice the near perfect 50-50 weight dist of the ls1 swapped rx7. Now is there any more B.S YOU'D like to spew? :loser:

Umm maybe one car had a full interior and a stereo and his car was so stripped that it would echo inside. Is there an interior shot?

ibepressin

Established Member
svtcontour said:
Umm maybe one car had a full interior and a stereo and his car was so stripped that it would echo inside. Is there an interior shot?

Yes the car is a full interior and looks beautiful oh and by the way it also runs 10's with a very conserative cam And will do so for years, unlike a highly tuned rotary.

Winchm60

Established Member
Yeah, the weight does stay the same. There's a LOT of guys that do the swap for obvious reasons, i just don't like it because the RX-7 is a rotary and i feel it should be kept that way.

AzianStang

Third Eye Slanted
Established Member
Here are some pics of my buddy's LS1 RX-7.

vbgarage.php

vbgarage.php

vbgarage.php

Repainted in 2004, stock Vintage Red
20% tint on sides/rear
R1 front lip
2001 LS1 transplant w/ 32k current miles
2001 T56 transplant, rebuilt for 800whp+
Stock RX7 rear end w/ crappy stock vette gearing
Hinson radiator/cooling
Hinson fuel delivery (hard lines)
LS1-edit tuned by Pettite Racing
Dual Apex N1 axle backs
Hinson aluminum driveshaft
Cusco coilovers
Hinson Subframe
Hinson crossmember
Hinson tortion bar
Cusco traction bars
18x8.5 front 18x9.5 rear VOLK LE-37Ts
235/35/18 front 275/35/18 Falken Azenies RT-615s

JVC head unit
Viper alarm
Diamond Audio speakers
Unwired speedo

ibepressin

Established Member
AzianStang said:
Here are some pics of my buddy's LS1 RX-7.

vbgarage.php

vbgarage.php

vbgarage.php

Repainted in 2004, stock Vintage Red
20% tint on sides/rear
R1 front lip
2001 LS1 transplant w/ 32k current miles
2001 T56 transplant, rebuilt for 800whp+
Stock RX7 rear end w/ crappy stock vette gearing
Hinson radiator/cooling
Hinson fuel delivery (hard lines)
LS1-edit tuned by Pettite Racing
Dual Apex N1 axle backs
Hinson aluminum driveshaft
Cusco coilovers
Hinson Subframe
Hinson crossmember
Hinson tortion bar
Cusco traction bars
18x8.5 front 18x9.5 rear VOLK LE-37Ts
235/35/18 front 275/35/18 Falken Azenies RT-615s

JVC head unit
Viper alarm
Diamond Audio speakers
Unwired speedo

The car just has great lines. I think, I almost like them better wingless like this.

NTIMD8