Nice RX7

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
Why does everything have to turn into an argument? Anyway, a LS-Series engine in that RX-7 would be NASTY!!

If i remember correctly, an LS1 power RX7 cut a 1.29 60' on MT Drags at one of HRMs Drag Weeks.

ilumo

Master of going off topic
Established Member
awesome man! shit.. I almost want to get an RX7 to do this kinda project... that video kicked ASS.

02 Z06

Squeze me please me
Established Member
Detroit_Doc said:
Am I the only one who finds the idea of putting a big, heavy, 2 valve, cam in the valley 1950s technology tractor engine in such a peice of engineering art revolting?:xpl:

Everyone is ga-ga over the Z06, but it makes an astounding 72 horsepower per liter. In the world of motors, that sucks.

That thing is just perfect with it's turbo rotary.
:loser: you ever weigh the fd3s(13b sequential turbo) motor? its almost the exact same weight as the 405hp ls6. swappin the ls7 with bolton mods and tune yields 500rwhp. in a 2800lb car! a lot more reliable that the rotory and does it on pump gas.

but hey you could always swap in a 5.4l iron block DOHC w. a huffer and plow through corners like a fwd car. right?:kaboom:

Detroit_Doc

Established Member
02 Z06 said:
:loser: you ever weigh the fd3s(13b sequential turbo) motor? its almost the exact same weight as the 405hp ls6. :

A 13b long block weights 218.5 pounds. A LS1 long block weighs 390 pounds. A LS7 I've been told by my GM powertrain engineer friend should weight about 10 pounds more than an LS1.

Fully dressed an LS1 weighs 497 pounds. OUCH!

Any other B.S. you'd like to spew?

moddestmike

2 Degrees/Still Confused
Established Member
Detroit_Doc said:
Am I the only one who finds the idea of putting a big, heavy, 2 valve, cam in the valley 1950s technology tractor engine in such a peice of engineering art revolting?:xpl:

Everyone is ga-ga over the Z06, but it makes an astounding 72 horsepower per liter. In the world of motors, that sucks.

"In the Valley technology", the SBC is a refined piece of machinery. Its been in existence for atleast half a decade and has gotten better with time. GM not being the one for performance trends, only strayed away from a cam-in-block design once. That was with the ZR-1 which was still a kickass car. So they definetly have to know-how to produce DOHC v-8s, there is no reason to when same engine gets 20mpg, can slay just about any ride out there, and a cam swap results in an extra 30-50hp. The LSX motors also have a lot of aftermarket support. I would prefer a tourque making LSX over any high spinning, overheating rotary engine. Lets not forget this is the same platform that cleans up at the Lemans and other Road Racing Venues. As far as the LS7, I guess you forgot the Titanium rods within it. Yea, thats so "in the valley, 1950's tech right there"

Last edited:

redline360

Established Member
I would love a RX-7 with any LSx swap. That is deff one project i must do before i die.

I never liked the rotary in those cars.

BuckChoklit

Schooled by Satan
Established Member
In the new Sport Compact Car there is an article in there about an RX7 with basically an LS7. Its not EXACTLY an LS7. They took an LS2 and built it to LS7 specs.

BuckChoklit

Schooled by Satan
Established Member
Detroit_Doc said:

Rotaries make shit for torque. No torque = no fun.

02 Z06

Squeze me please me
Established Member
Detroit_Doc said:
A 13b long block weights 218.5 pounds. A LS1 long block weighs 390 pounds. A LS7 I've been told by my GM powertrain engineer friend should weight about 10 pounds more than an LS1.

yea thats long block not fully dressed. 2 turbos, cast manifolds, intake manifold... all add weight to the long block. anyways stated here the car will be lighter which is more important anyways. http://www.hinsonsupercars.com/faqFD.htm#A1

whats the new shelby motor weigh? :xpl:

wrxfc3s

boost for life baby!
Established Member
Detroit_Doc said:

That's not right, and besides, we're talking FD which only comes w/ a turbo... it's close to the 350lbs,

regular 13B doesn't have big iron turbo manifolds, the twin turbo setup, other misc parts....

Users who are viewing this thread