ZR-1 vs. Ford GT in Friday afternoon run in

415ZR1

Established Member
I have been a member on this forum for awhile but mostly lurk. Just got my ZR-1 back on the road and had just taken it out for a Friday afternoon cruise. The weather down here in Ft Lauderdale has been real nice.

I was driving west bound on 595 when I noticed a white with blue stripes Ford GT about a quarter of a mile behind me in the left lane. The exit for 75 south is a left hand exit so I slow down and get in the left lane. I exit off onto south bound 75 and slow down to 75 mph. I am in the left lane when the Ford GT starts to pull along side at about 75. I drop it to third and hit it for a third gear to fourth gear jump just to let him know I want to play.
I guess he is game becasue he comes up along side of me and we take off at about 80. I am still in fourth gear ( I should have been in third but wasn't sure if he was going to take off) and we are even until I get above 100 when I pull on him just a little. He has to shut down.

I pass some traffic and get into the middle lane with nothing in front of us. He is in the left lane and we are pacing at about 90. I am still in fourth when we hit it. This time I am in the sweet spot of 4th gear (4:09 rear gear) and pull him pretty good to about 138 (top of my fourth gear) when he shuts down with me in the lead by 2 or 3 cars. I am sure he didn't expect an old C4 to be that fast. :)

We both exit on Pines and pull alond side of each other and have a quick chat. He was totally stock, no pulley. Pretty cool dude. I bet he is on the net buying a pulley for his GT today. After that I am sure he would smoke me.

Just wanted to share because you don't run into these cars on the road every day and to get some clean runs with this car is pretty exciting. This is the best kill section I know of so I thought I would tell the story here. Those GT's are pretty fast for stock cars as my ZR-1 is nowhere near stock so I thought he did pretty good against me. You cannot beat the styling of those cars, they look great.

ponyboyisaac

Now Kaioken...times 10!!
Established Member
very nice kill man! what kind of power does that 415c.i. LT5 put down?

dsrtdukone

Hurts when I pee
Established Member
what kind of power does that 415c.i. LT5 put down?

He's got a blogspot in his sig................
415%20dyno.jpg

BLUE OVAL NUT

RAGING PONYCAR DRIVER
Established Member
VERY nice kill OP. I'm still waiting for GM to give the quad cam V-8 another try.[/QUOTE:thumbsup:GM currently has 2 quad cam v-8's available, Cadillac's 4.6 Liter dohc, and destroked 4.4 Liter dohc supercharged. I wonder at what power levels the LT5 would be @ if Chevy continued with it's development???? 375-405 h.p. was super car territory in the late 80's early 90's. :rockon:Great kill story to the original poster!!!!

Last edited:

C6 Vette

Established Member
Great story!!!

ZR1's back in the day are how this new Corvette SS will be next year...Cars that set a benchmark that ppl won't see in a mass produced sports car for many years to come.:rolling:......Stockly speaking of course..

jeffs

Established Member
I remember about ten years ago getting punished by a black ZR1, in my low 13 high 12 second 63 1/2, 427 galaxie, after that I had a new respect for Vettes in general. In those years a stock 5.0 mustang could usually clean house on similar yeared Vettes, Unless of course you're talking a ZR1, cool cars, kinda like the Buick GN in 87..

415ZR1

Established Member
It's a bored and stroked LT5. 4.125" stroked crank and has a 4" sleeves
(3.9" is the factory sleeve). It also has ported heads, injector housings and intake, stock valves and stock injectors, 2" headers into a 3" exhaust with no cats (gotta love living in Florida). I have stage II cams that have 239 degree's of duration and .445" of lift, stock is 220 degree's of duration with .390 of lift.
The setup is a mild 415 cubic inch motor putting out about 530 hp to the rear tires. Some 415's (only about 25 of them made) can have as much as 575 at the rear with bigger valves and a siamesed plenum. 530 rwhp SAE is enough to get the car to trap 130 in the quarter sometimes with the right air.
The guy driving the GT was pretty cool. Probably has people reving on him every time he goes out. I was surprised he raced.

Nice kill! Mods? later Ron

Last edited:

primetime

Established Member
It's a bored and stroked LT5. 4.125" stroked crank and has a 4" sleeves
(3.9" is the factory sleeve). It also has ported heads, injector housings and intake, stock valves and stock injectors, 2" headers into a 3" exhaust with no cats (gotta love living in Florida). I have stage II cams that have 239 degree's of duration and .445" of lift, stock is 220 degree's of duration with .390 of lift.
The setup is a mild 415 cubic inch motor putting out about 530 hp to the rear tires. Some 415's (only about 25 of them made) can have as much as 575 at the rear with bigger valves and a siamesed plenum. 530 rwhp SAE is enough to get the car to trap 130 in the quarter sometimes with the right air.
The guy driving the GT was pretty cool. Probably has people reving on him every time he goes out. I was surprised he raced.

:thumbsup:

Blackgeetee

Established Member
Wow, that's a hell of a race right there. Very rare to see either one of these on the road. To see them racing side by side had to be cool as hell!

Nice kill man! :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread