Zone 5 MDM jr. voltage issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

jldecke

SVT stalker
Established Member
I was wondering if anyone knows what the output voltage to the pumps is supposed to be coming out of a Zone 5 MDM jr? I only have 4.2 volts at idle, which might be fine, but I'm not sure how the returnless systems work. I have fuel pressure fluctuation issues at WOT and not sure if my pumps are getting enough voltage from the MDM. Any help would be great.

black 10th vert

Established Member
That voltage definitely doesn't sound right at all, but I'm sure more people with experience in this area will chime in. Lucky for you zone 5 is out of business now...:rollseyes Someone else posted very recently about one of these failing with very low mileage on the unit.

jldecke

SVT stalker
Established Member
I thought it sounded a little low too, but I'm not a expert at Ford Returnless fuel systems. I've also been trying to find a good wiring diagram for the Zone 5, but all I seem to find is people who have had problems with them. Thanks for the input.:rockon:

Black306

Established Member
As I understand MDMs, they just match the voltage output of stock FPDMs with increased current capabilities.

That said, 4.2V@idle sounds about right. My guess is that your duty cycle is about 40% (reads .20 on a programmer). Did you check your duty cycle at idle?

jldecke

SVT stalker
Established Member
No way for me to check the duty cycle right now, as I sold my X3 with my last Cobra and I am now waiting for a new one to arrive.

TRBO VNM

I am not surprised. I have talked to some tuners and saw first hand that there is a little more time involved with dialing in WOT in higher rpm's. Which sounds similar to OP issue. I assume from your posts that you didn't have it tuned after installing the MDM?

jldecke

SVT stalker
Established Member
Just had it tuned on Monday and that's when we found the fuel delivery issue. I don't think there is any issue with the tuner, just the fact that I am having a 20psi variance in fuel pressure every couple hundred rpm after 3500. It's like a fuel pump is not getting enough voltage after this point, which was making me think that it is the FPDM or the MDMjr.

oldmodman

Established Member
Just to be sure of what I just read.
Am I mistaken or are you using both the FPDM and the MDM Jr.?
Because the MDM Jr. is a box with two higher capacity FPDMs in it. You use one or the other, not both.
You can, however, use a BAP with the MDM Jr., or with two FPDMs.

oldmodman

Established Member
Sorry, but you have been misinformed. An MDM runs inline between an FPDM and pumps.

New Product: Fuel Pump "MEGA Driver Module"

And that's what I get for posting too late at night. And I even went out to the filing cabinet in the garage and re-read the instructions from MJ on it.
I knew I shouldn't have stopped at the fridge on the way back to the computer.:shrug:
Thanks!

1320 Junkie

Established Member
Take the MDM and throw it in the ocean...better place for it than in your car...biggest POS i ever bought

Quick Strike

Established Member
Take the MDM and throw it in the ocean...better place for it than in your car...biggest POS i ever bought

OP if you decide to go another route, don't throw it in the ocean. Sell it to me. I'd like one for a spare since Zone 5 is out of business. Mine has worked flawlessly for about a year and five thousand miles, but you never know.

Last edited:

jldecke

SVT stalker
Established Member
It's possible that I might get rid of the MDM jr. just because I have no info on it and they are now out of business and there is no support for them. I'm sure that they made a good product, but without being able to have some written info on it for me to be able to troubleshoot with, it will be replaced by a dual FPDM setup with a BAP.:rockon:

TRBO VNM

dual fpdm and BAP? What pumps are you running? make sure you check into if you need a dual FPDM BAP like for the gt500.

jldecke

SVT stalker
Established Member
I have Ford GT pumps, Fore hat, 60lb injectors, and the Zone 5 MDM jr. The car is a KB 2.2 with 19lbs of boost.

TRBO VNM

get rid of the zone 5 and do the dual FPDM setup and there is no need for a BAP.

you can do a fuel line upgrade as well and that will reduce fuel pump duty cycle and give you a little more overhead.

jldecke

SVT stalker
Established Member
Well, it's been awhile since I started this thread, but I just finally had time to work on the car. I replaced the Zone 5 and installed the Lethal Dual FPDM setup, but this still didn't fix the problem. I have checked or replaced just about everything in the fuel system and still have not found the issue. I am now just thinking about going to a Return system and forgetting about the headaches of the returnless system. I just ordered a new FRPS from Tousley and we will give it one more try, but it looks like Lethal will be getting a call in the near future. :shrug:

95rooster

3rd hand info passer
Established Member
Getting ready to install mdm jr and dual gt 500 pumps in my 03 cobra. Any updates on your issues. seems the mdm jr was not the problem.

jldecke

SVT stalker
Established Member
Sorry for the delayed response, my tuner finally found the problem with the car after I was totally fed up with it and had changed to a return style fuel system. Turns out the problem all along was a bad connection on the inline fuse feeding the fuel pumps that had been installed by the previous owner. That little headache was the root of all my problems. Good luck with your install and thanks to everyone for the advice on my problem.:beer:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread