ZO6 vs Cobra....

commando

Established Member
i've seen your videos before, that pullied cobra is hurt if it's getting walked by bus-lengths by a c5z with just an intake and exhaust. Didn't your cobra also lose to a c5z with just an intake after it was ported and pullied? :lol: We all have our own experiences, and honestly every car runs different. My ported and pullied cobra has run door to door with a cam/bolt-on c5z making right around 430rwhp. I've also pulled 2+ cars on a bolt-on c5z.

Here is a vert pullied cobra vs a stock c5z
youtube - pullied 03 cobra vs stock 03 z06

here is a vert pullied cobra vs a z06 with an intake/headers/catback/tune making just under 400rwhp
youtube - 03 pullied cobra vs 04 full exhaust z06

i agree 100% with you that a cobra making = power to a vette should get walked. My experiences are a lot different than yours though. For me it seems a healthy well driven cobra needs about a 70rwhp advantage to stay even with a c5z. Your video of a 450-460rwhp cobra getting walked by multiple bus lengths by a 370rwhp z06 isn't normal. :read:

thank you

Quik Z06

Established Member
SBo3 if you want I can look as well for plenty of vids that show the exact opposite. As for my Cobra being hurt, no doubt it. We even ran another ported and pullied Cobra in our Z and still beat or stayed dead even with it way into triple digits. As for the 2nd vid you have posted, what's that Vette on 20's on the back? Thats a Vette replica wheel, probably 19-20 combo (not very good for performance) My Cobra was very healthy, I did compression tests when I bought it and after modding just to make sure all was fine (even before I sold it) Ive been around alot of Stangs and Vette's and when it comes down to them being close in power the Vette always wins (assuming drivers are equal) as Ive stated from the beginning.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
SBo3 if you want I can look as well for plenty of vids that show the exact opposite. As for my Cobra being hurt, no doubt it. We even ran another ported and pullied Cobra in our Z and still beat or stayed dead even with it way into triple digits. As for the 2nd vid you have posted, what's that Vette on 20's on the back? Thats a Vette replica wheel, probably 19-20 combo (not very good for performance) My Cobra was very healthy, I did compression tests when I bought it and after modding just to make sure all was fine (even before I sold it) Ive been around alot of Stangs and Vette's and when it comes down to them being close in power the Vette always wins (assuming drivers are equal) as Ive stated from the beginning.

Well as you were on the floor laughing about Commando hanging with a Vette making the same power, I think it's just as funny that a Cobra should get walked by BUS-LENGTHS by a C5 Z06 making 110rwhp+ less. So what does a Cobra need, a 250rwhp advantage? :lol:

Please show me the plenty of examples of pullied Cobras getting by bus-lengths against a 370rwhp Z06. I can post countless videos showing that it's more of a 70rwhp advantage needed, not the huge gap you're trying to portray with that video.

There is a guy that has a 02 Z06 that lives near me, he has full bolt-ons that I've raced multiple times, (and won every single time by the same amount) He also told me he traps 122mph at the track. Come spring-time I will be sure to get it on video just for you. :)

Quik Z06

Established Member
I'm not saying that a procharged vette makes all of thier power/tq between 6-7. I'm saying that while pwr/weight is one of the most important factors, there are other factors to consider. :)

Which is why I said " I dont doubt that you beat him" However my Procharged Vette was easier to control because the power comes on different with the procharger as opposed to a twin screw. If your not running around on DR's with a twin screw its pretty much worthless, you'll get jumped on by alot of cars. I know I tried a bunch of different street tires on my Cobra and even at 556whp forget it.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
[ame="http://videos.streetfire.net/video/02-Z06-vs-03-Cobra-02-GT_143696.htm"]02 Z06 vs 03 Cobra, Vortech 02 GT vs 03 Cobra, etc- Video[/ame]

Pullied Cobra with a mail order tune vs a Z06 with light-weight CCW wheels and an intake. Walked by multiple bus lengths? NO.

http://upload.streetfire.net/video/Pullied-03-cobra-vs-FRC_196298.htm

Pullied Cobra vs 400rwhp FRC. Walked by multiple bus-lengths? NO.

And here is a video of a Cobra losing.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlEl125YRiY"]YouTube - 2004 Cobra Vs 2003 Vette Z06[/ame]

Unpullied Cobra with bolt-ons vs C5 Z06 with an intake, Walked by multiple bus-lengths? NO, and it's not even pullied.

That's from the first page from a quick google search. I can also post the countless other videos posted on this forum. If you can find one other video with the same results as you've had in your video I'll waste my time and pull them up. :thumbsup: I'll even find videos of Cobras losing, but it won't be by bus lengths against C5Z with 110rwhp+ less. :lol:

Last edited:

Quik Z06

Established Member
Well as you were on the floor laughing about Commando hanging with a Vette making the same power, I think it's just as funny that a Cobra should get walked by BUS-LENGTHS by a C5 Z06 making 110rwhp+ less. So what does a Cobra need, a 250rwhp advantage? :lol:

Please show me the plenty of examples of pullied Cobras getting by bus-lengths against a 370rwhp Z06. I can post countless videos showing that it's more of a 70rwhp advantage needed, not the huge gap you're trying to portray with that video.

There is a guy that has a 02 Z06 that lives near me, he has full bolt-ons that I've raced multiple times, (and won every single time by the same amount) He also told me he traps 122mph at the track. Come spring-time I will be sure to get it on video just for you. :)

Lol, I can't believe that you can sit there and deny that no way in hell should a 458hp Cobra beat a 460hp Vette, dude seriously?? Here we are talking about how much power it takes to beat another car and the Vette has more power (ok only 2hp) but that shouldn't even be a close race. You know if I only had a Vette and was trying to talk down Cobra's then ok, but I have said several times " I miss my Cobra more than my FRC" and the Cobra had 200 less hp. If I was to go out and buy another performance car right now it would be an 03-04 Cobra hands down. I dont know what it is, but my Z06 doesnt like losing to Mustangs. It's beat several Cobras 4-5 mildly modded a few older Cobras that were spraying and one other supercharged 98 (and yes im being sarcastic, not saying its unbeatable) Almost every guy I hang out with on the weekend drives a Stang and they cant believe how fast it is for what it has. Lol a few have even wondered if we have secretly worked the heads and added a mild cam. Regardless the whole point of my vid was to show what a 370hp Vette can do vs a modded Cobra. Oh and please do get me the vids, dont just post the one's that you win :uh oh: I forget how much power do you make? Let's make sure its a fair race, haha not a 135 trap car to a 122 :beer:

PS... Where did you see that my Z06 in the vid had 110whp less than my Cobra? My Cobra wasn't dyno'd but a fair guess would be in the 450 range (typical of those mods) and the Z was at 370 do the math. Its what 70-80 which is what your claiming is about right, then add the extra weight. I see no prob with the vid ;)

Last edited:

pissstain

Banned

I can't speak for anybody but myself, but i have raced a co-workers '02 Z06 with a vararam intake and full borla exhaust, which i'm guessing should be at least 360-70 rwhp. I'm the usual 450rwhp pulleyed/intake/dyno tuned 2003 Cobra.

We had a total of 4 runs. They were all DEAD-EVEN at the top of fourth, which is when we both let out. The first 2 runs were from 40 in second gear all the way to the top of fourth for me (120-ish?). Not sure what gear the vette was in at that point. We started out door-to-door and ended up door-to-door.

The 3rd and 4th run was from 60, at which point i was in 3rd gear, not sure about the vette. From 60 all the way back up to 120 again, and the result was the exact same as the 2 races from 40.

I watched your video and it looks like you put at least 3 cars, if not more, on him. Impossible? I guess not, but there's no way in HELL that Cobra was putting down the power he claimed.

Quik Z06

Established Member
^ Lol it was my Cobra and my Z06. In that case with 2 guys, me and my brother in the car compared to my wife in the Z it had an impact. My video was not to show how bad it got beat, but to show what the Vette is capable of. At that time I believe I had a 2.8 upper, 4# lower, JLT intake, Bassani Catback and SCT Tune.

As with your experiences, it just goes to show (as SBo3 is trying to disprove) Your saying very close races with an intake, exhaust Z06 and you at 450ish. while he's posting vids of Z06's getting smashed with similar mods. It can go either way as we have established. My experience with our Z has been that it takes more than a pullied Cobra to beat it.

Oh and he would be mid 4th at 120, they top out in 4th close to 145 if I remember correctly.

pissstain

Banned
No problem. I've always had good races against C5 Z06's. Seems that an '03 Cobra with a 70-75 rwhp advantage over a C5 Z06 is as close to dead-even as you're gonna get. Assuming the drivers are both skilled of course.

Not sure about the earlier C5's however, as i think they were only rated at 385 hp stock versus 405 for the 2002-and up Z06's. Never had a chance to run one so i wouldn't know.

Quik Z06

Established Member
Lol, I'll add I think people forget I worked a year or so at a Mustang performance shop. We had dozens of Cobra's come through there and a few wanted a shot at the Z. Most came back with the same reply " damn that car is quick" Im not trying to be a smartass either, most guys became really good friends and we hang out all the time. I love Cobra's and might get another one someday, but equal drivers and equal power the Cobra wont win period!

Quik Z06

Established Member
No problem. I've always had good races against C5 Z06's. Seems that an '03 Cobra with a 70-75 rwhp advantage over a C5 Z06 is as close to dead-even as you're gonna get. Assuming the drivers are both skilled of course.

Lol exactly :beer: And that's where the whole arguement started, with me questioning how a guy with 458whp could beat a Vette with 460. In that case it wont happen, unless the guy can't drive. I mean I thought it was pretty common knowledge that it takes a good 60-70hp more on the Cobra to even it out.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Lol, I can't believe that you can sit there and deny that no way in hell should a 458hp Cobra beat a 460hp Vette, dude seriously?? Here we are talking about how much power it takes to beat another car and the Vette has more power (ok only 2hp) but that shouldn't even be a close race. You know if I only had a Vette and was trying to talk down Cobra's then ok, but I have said several times " I miss my Cobra more than my FRC" and the Cobra had 200 less hp. If I was to go out and buy another performance car right now it would be an 03-04 Cobra hands down. I dont know what it is, but my Z06 doesnt like losing to Mustangs. It's beat several Cobras 4-5 mildly modded a few older Cobras that were spraying and one other supercharged 98 (and yes im being sarcastic, not saying its unbeatable) Almost every guy I hang out with on the weekend drives a Stang and they cant believe how fast it is for what it has. Lol a few have even wondered if we have secretly worked the heads and added a mild cam. Regardless the whole point of my vid was to show what a 370hp Vette can do vs a modded Cobra. Oh and please do get me the vids, dont just post the one's that you win :uh oh: I forget how much power do you make? Let's make sure its a fair race, haha not a 135 trap car to a 122 :beer:

PS... Where did you see that my Z06 in the vid had 110whp less than my Cobra? My Cobra wasn't dyno'd but a fair guess would be in the 450 range (typical of those mods) and the Z was at 370 do the math. Its what 70-80 which is what your claiming is about right, then add the extra weight. I see no prob with the vid ;)

You mistook my post, I meant the idea that a i/e Z06 should pull 5-6 car lengths+ on a pullied Cobra is just as laughable to me as a Cobra with the same HP as a Vette being a close race. *Neither should happen*

I said it takes about a 70RWHP advantage to stay EVEN with a Z06 because of the weight advantage, not a 70rwhp advantage to get pulled by multiple bus-lengths like in the video you posted...

My Cobra makes 502rwhp, but keep in mind I have full length headers which adds a lot of mid-range compared to a Cobra with stock headers. I'm sure I will run into the guy again, he lives right by me and we have raced MULTIPLE times, unless he's done more mods I can assure you the outcome won't change. ;-) I make 100rwhp+ more than him and I pull him every single time.

BTW, the three videos I posted above are not of Cobras smashing Z06s. The first one was very close and the last one the Cobra lost.

Last edited:

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
. I mean I thought it was pretty common knowledge that it takes a good 60-70hp more on the Cobra to even it out.

That's what I said, but the video you posted shows a pullied Cobra with about a 70rwhp advantage, (give or take) getting RAPED BY BUS-LENGTHS. You randomly posted the video as if it were some sort of statement to how much additional power a Cobra needs to pull a nearly stock c5Z06. :poke:

If you look at my first post I said it takes about a 70rwhp advantage to stay even with a c5Z, although there are other factors like gearing, heat soak, area under the curve, traction, etc.

Last edited:

Quik Z06

Established Member
Ok, now that we got that out of the way, do you honestly think a 458hp Cobra should beat a 460hp Vette? Im pretty sure I know what your answer would be. In that vid, the Vette got a good 5-6 cars on me but again keep in mind the Cobra with a 70-80 hp advantage, but lets say the Vette with driver was maybe 3300 lbs (give or take) and the Cobra at 3900 (give or take) im not that big 190 but my bro is a big boy 250ish. Dont remember what Cobra's weigh but I can see our Vette pulling it like that with the power to weight advantage.

Quik Z06

Established Member
Since you race alot im sure you have swapped people in your car (perhaps a camera man) and you can instantly see the difference. We have done that with multiple vehicles and its always the same, the one with the extra person always seems to fall behind given the cars are close in power.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Ok, now that we got that out of the way, do you honestly think a 458hp Cobra should beat a 460hp Vette? Im pretty sure I know what your answer would be. In that vid, the Vette got a good 5-6 cars on me but again keep in mind the Cobra with a 70-80 hp advantage, but lets say the Vette with driver was maybe 3300 lbs (give or take) and the Cobra at 3900 (give or take) im not that big 190 but my bro is a big boy 250ish. Dont remember what Cobra's weigh but I can see our Vette pulling it like that with the power to weight advantage.

No I don't, and I don't think a pullied Cobra should get pulled on by bus-lengths in the video you posted either. Both of those outcomes are equally out there.

I've raced with extra passengers, and yes it does make a difference, (maybe a car-length or so)but not like that lol. Your video just makes it appear as if the Cobra needed another 200rwhp to keep up with you. One passenger doesn't do that.

Quik Z06

Established Member
Here's another vid of my hurt Cobra :) I started in 3rd on purpose to avoid wheel spin. If I started in 2nd forget it the Z would get too far ahead. The Z started in 2nd. I know it's in its powerband compared to me in the Cobra, but we were side by side when we started and look how long it holds me off at maybe 500whp minimum (at the time I had a mail tune from Amazon to get me by until I could get it dynotuned)

[ame=http://videos.streetfire.net/video/03-Whipple-Cobra-vs-IE-02_123324.htm]03 Whipple Cobra vs I/E 02 Z06- Video[/ame]

Oh and another of our Z06 against a friends 448hp Firehawk. A few of the races weren't that great, my wife and friend had a hard time taking off even (couldnt hear the honks) but the 2nd race was the best, they took off about even. Lol and the last race you see my black f'n car :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLImVIPRmeU]YouTube - Z06 vs. Firehawk[/ame]

Lol, alot of people underestimate Z's. With a good driver their pretty tough to beat all things equal. Our buddy with the Firehawk (who's on this board) was surprised himself at how well the Z did vs his 448hp TA.

Last edited:

Quik Z06

Established Member
LOL wonder what they're gonna say in the morning when they see this thread has exploded :)

Yellow Horse

Established Member
Lol why would I go down to SoCal to see what I know "should" happen. Your talking to me as if I wouldnt know. Ive had a 03 Cobra that I bought with just intake and exhaust (404 whp) and my 02 Z06 at 370whp would walk it freakin hard. It wasnt until I went KB then Whipple that I finally started pulling it. Ok heres an old vid of when my Cobra was pullied (450ish) vs our Z06. Ok yes 2 people in the Cobra vs 1 my wife in the Z (its a bad quality vid, camera phone) but it goes to show you a Vette "should" pull a Cobra with less power in the Vette (and a good driver)

Pullied Cobra vs I/E 02 Z06 (bad quality)- Video

Again, it can be done, but if it's equal drivers the Vette should win hands down, especially with more power.

:beer:

If I had a dollar for every vette owner who says, "Well, um, I had an 03 Cobra". Bwahahahahaha.

Walked hard my ass. Why would anyone believe a car making 370 rwhp would walk one "HARD" at over 400 rwhp. You are full of dog prime dog shit. Not even 500 pounds difference, 50 more HP at the crank the cars are dead even. You don't know what you are talking about.

So a KB'b Cobra is what it takes to walk a 370 rwhp vette? Wake up Alice, this aint Wonderland. The last vette I ran I couldn't judge it by cars it was so bad. Most races I judge by how many aircraft carriers I laid on them.

370 whp vette. Don't make me laugh. But wait, at least you get to gome home in a vette, right? The only thing is everybody and his damned brother owns one. The only way I'd own one is if I was given one. I'd knock the rear glass out of it and use it to haul dirt around on my property and put a trailer hitch on it to haul my boat.

Users who are viewing this thread