ZO6 Temptation.....

POINTCOVER

Established Member
I'm sure I'm going to get flamed for this...but here I go...

Is there anyone else out there that sometimes thinks "Why spend all this money on mods when I could buy a used 02 zo6 with the same performance results?"
I'm at the point now where I want more performance out of my Cobra, but I have to sacrifice my warranty to do so, i.e. pulley and chip.

I'm just not sure if its worth all the effort and money. I keep going through o2 sensors for some damn reason:cuss: and my Cobra has the "tick".

Am I the only one?

I'm on the fence here guys....I need help....or maybe a hug

CuLaTeR

Established Member
You are going to feel the same way about the Z06. The Cobra is 390hp and the Z06 is I believe 405hp to the crank. Either way you are going to have to void the warranty to mod the car heavily for large hp gains.

I have been a proud owner of Fords for 10 years now. Could never see myself driving in anything else. Modding the Cobra is a blast. Yes can be expensive but oh well. Nothing like taking the engine apart yourself, putting it back together and realizing the car still works. Very gratifying!

Brad

Banned
Originally posted by POINTCOVER

Is there anyone else out there that sometimes thinks "Why spend all this money on mods when I could buy a used 02 zo6 with the same performance results?"
I'm at the point now where I want more performance out of my Cobra, but I have to sacrifice my warranty to do so, i.e. pulley and chip.

I'm just not sure if its worth all the effort and money. I keep going through o2 sensors for some damn reason:cuss: and my Cobra has the "tick".

Am I the only one?

You would be getting a used z06 to make it price competitive to the cobra, which means someone elses problems. 34k for a new cobra and another 2k for basic boltons gets you kicking the crap out of a z06 down the track. If you're looking into auto x the z06 rocks though.

03ShadowCobra

To the Hindenpeter!!!
Established Member
I want to get into the commerative 04 z06. The blue one with the silver and red stripes. But that doesn't look like it's going to happen.

Chonger

The Korean Connection
Established Member
I went through the same issues about 6 months ago. I was in the market for either a new 03 Cobra or used Z06 and went with the Cobra and have been pretty happy about the decision. You are still going to pay some $$$ for a used Z06 in mint condition with very low mileage. At the time of my Cobra purchase in Feb 03, mint condition 02 Z06's were still going for prices in the very high 30K bracket, almost 40K. I got a brand new Cobra with 9 miles on it for 33.5K. A lot of things could have happen to a used car with only 10-15K miles on it. Especially a very high performance sports car like a Z06. I wanted the piece of mind of owning a brand new car.

But I definately see where you are coming from....

Silverb@ck

Established Member
Bottom line, you have the most bang for the buck. I would rather have a z06 but I simply couldn't afford it. You would have to get a used 02 to get the 405hp b/c the 01 z06 only had 385 if I am correct. If I am not I am sure someone will correct me! Also, the only way you will find a used z06 with the price tag of a new cobra is if it has a lot of miles. All the used z06 around my area are still in the 40's, there are some in the mid to high 30's but the have high mileage, and you dont want that. Plus with a new cobra you have the satisfaction of knowing how your car is driven. YOu never know how the person drove the car before you but that is always a risk with a used vehicle. Just b/c you have some problems with your car doesnt mean you wouldnt have any with a used z06. As long as you have some kind of warranty on yours. THink if you bought a used z06 with 18k, you only have 18k left on the warranty. That would also be a concern. Do some mods, go race and beat one, then you will change your mind. :thumbsup:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Just a personal comment on the overall look of the Z-06. Of all the Vette body styles, the hardtop is the ugly duckling in my opinion. I just couldn't never get used to the long, flat rear deck. It may be the lightest, but a Z-06 convertible or coupe would have been much nicer.
CorvetteConverible.jpg

CorvetteCoupe.jpg

Z-06.jpg

KOTH

Hang loose - travel light
Established Member
Nothing wrong with a Z06. I like the hardtop the best of the body styles. Bottom line is do you want a Corvette or a Cobra? That is a high class problem.

03DOHC

Established Member
If you want a vette by all means buy one. I think they are ugly and the "stigma" would be too much for me to want one anyway. Just don't cry when I smoke you in my Cobra.:-D

DSG03Snake

Established Member
Bro take my advice and be happy with what you got. You have a badass car, and theres always gonna be something that you perceive as better/faster that you will want, but you know what they say - the grass is always greener.

Unless of course you are rich, then just get both!

Plus if you want more performance dont forget you can chip/pulley with the Predator soon and be fairly warranty safe (can go back to stock tune and stock pulley whenever you want and hopefully it wont be detectible!)

Last edited:

goinbyu

I'm a big fan of the Z06. I'd say the Z06 is more of a "driver's" car. That you'd even consider a vette tells me that you don't have a family and a backseat isn't an issue....as it was for me. Also, in considering a Vette, it tells me that you like to spend a lot of money on mods.

If you've got the cash and lifestyle that dovetails with a Vette, then more power to ya.

03CobraBro

Established Member

Am I the only one?

If you play it right, 700 bucks you can get yourself a chip and pulley and never lose your warrenty if you dont run your mouth off about it at the dealership, 450RWHP (hence RW), and a 3 year warrenty... Then ya buy a used 02 Z06, might have a year left (at this point) on the warrenty, you'll probably still be spending atleast an additional 5k to find a used 02 Z06 in comparison to the price of your Cobra (assuming its a coupe), and you have yourself a car that dyno's almost literally 100 less RWHP than a chip and pullied 03 Cobra which more than makes up for the 600lbs weight difference between the 2 cars in the straight line.

But, like all things, its whatever car you like best, thats just my jab at the thought of going Z06.

(I know I sound alittle straight line bias, and your needs may be different, but IMO my Cobra handles well enough to make a left turn, and pull out and pass people on the interstate, so thats all I need)

Last edited:

showtm490

Established Member
Is the "tick" coming from the motor? If so, I posted an article about a recall on 03 cobra heads. I'll try to find it for you.

03CobraBro

Established Member
I dont have the tick... but just out of curiousity showtm, did you get a hold of someone to confirm that there really is a recall on the heads of this car, the only reason I ask is because blue oval news, official or not, always has some strange information on there that nobody else knows anything about.

akatherazor4

If you see this tag, Run!
Established Member
Personally my car eats Z06's like kids eat candy.:lol: I wouldn't buy one over my car for any reason. The Z06 is a nice looking fast car, But it's no blown cobra.;-) I'm in northern Virginia, Come on down and let me take you for a quick spin in my ride. I promise you'll want to laugh at the next Z06 you set your eyes on. If you want your car to be a Z06 eater then PM me. I will turn you on to the premier mustang shop in the area. With an 03 cobra and a few mods you will be blowing by Z06's so quick you'll suck the driver out the window.:D

Razor.:beer:

tnadoman

Established Member
When I first bought my '03 I was in it for the bang for the buck theory. My heart was for the Viper, something not seen everyday and turns heads like nothing I've seen. I loved my Cobra and I knew that with a few $$ in mods it would take a Viper in the straights. The Cobra is the best bang for the buck but for me, I needed something that fulfilled a dream and something to look at every now and then to say "I did it!!". Anyway, like others have said, there will always be something faster and something more powerful. I'm fine with that, I have something that few others have (1 of 86 to be exact) and would encourage you to go for it and persue what would truly make you happy. I couldnt sleep at night waiting for my Viper to come, now I cant sleep because its here and I own it (well, the bank does for now).

Go for it if its what you want!!

POINTCOVER

Established Member
Thank guys...I needed a slap in the face.

What the hell was I thinking?:eek:

So what's the deal with the Predator Chip? Any idea when it will be available?

03cobrablack

Where is the KABOOM ????
Established Member
Thank guys...I needed a slap in the face.

What the hell was I thinking?:eek:

So what's the deal with the Predator Chip? Any idea when it will be available?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: LMAO true car guy: go from considering getting rid of it to whats my next mod in the same train of thought.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I know how how you feel. I was looking at the Z06 before the 03. A rude salesman helped me decide I would not be getting a z06. I had gone back and forth, and finally this dick says "well, the Z06 is a world class sports car, and the mustang is piece of crap" I got up at the point, congratulated his sales manager on them losing my business and bought the 03 that night. Anyways.....Just get whatever makes you happy.

Users who are viewing this thread