ZL1 vs. 2011 m6 5.0

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
I think it was a better 5.0 driver period.

I have basically given up on talking to 5.0 drivers because there is no reasoning with them.

I have said the 5.0 engine is very impressive...looks wise for the Mustang...mehh..not really all that great IMHO.

As more 5.0 drivers become 'educated' I think they will be a bit more reasonable in their statements..we'll see I guess

GotHemi?

Hell Kitty Nut Swinger
Established Member
I guess it would depend on what you consider average. The average bad driver driving them............... or the average of what it can do. The ones that post seem to be the good drivers thats why theres only 6! LOL! J/K, I have no clue as to how many are good drivers!

By average i mean average. If they have 20 time slips add them all up and divide by 20. It would be mid 12's at best. Probably closer to high 12's realistically.

D.T.R

Established Member
I would agree with the statement about the frist year ZL1,close friend has one in auto,CAI, pulley, tune, larger heat exchanger and 20 inch drag radials, best we could get at the track was 11.91@118 mph...........
rock stock it went 12.55@111 mph..........
the CTSV are faster by far................
this is no different than when the GT500 came out in 07 they were slow as ford was really conservative with there tune.........
These results are just that some may go quicker.......

Official 1/4 Mile (V8) 2010+ Camaro Fast List - Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
Heres their fastest lists. Not too impressive. One ZL1 ran an 11.7, thats not likely to be replicated without perfect condistions. The norm looks to be 12.1-12.2 for a stock ZL1.

^^^^^there you have it^^^^^^^^^^^^

bwahaha that's pretty sad then. 11.7 is the fastest stock ZL1 huh?
There are 5.0s with a single bolt on (mid pipe) and a tune running faster than that... i went 11.8@118 with just a mid pipe.. so yeah... a zl1 is not going to rape a lightly modded 5.0... it might actually lose.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member

I have basically given up on talking to 5.0 drivers because there is no reasoning with them.

I have said the 5.0 engine is very impressive...looks wise for the Mustang...mehh..not really all that great IMHO.

As more 5.0 drivers become 'educated' I think they will be a bit more reasonable in their statements..we'll see I guess

bwahaha that's pretty sad then. 11.7 is the fastest stock ZL1 huh?
There are 5.0s with a single bolt on (mid pipe) and a tune running faster than that... i went 11.8@118 with just a mid pipe.. so yeah... a zl1 is not going to rape a lightly modded 5.0... it might actually lose.

:lol1: That didn't take long

BLK2012GT

Established Member

Right and cobra owners are easy to reason with. SMH

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
i love how in that camaro 5 thread people are like "the guys over at SVTP wont be too happy about this" lmao!

wheelspin

Established Member
Anyone know the individuals involved or the details of this particular race?
Youtube ZL1 vs 5.0 GT

I wonder if the ZL1 is just suffering from too little intercooling capability in the heat of summer, and are actually respectable in mine shaft fall air?

A lot of the traps from all summer long were 111-113 mph. It's the last month or so that most of the 116-118 traps started popping up, from what I have seen anyway.

kbroush

Established Member
I would like to run a zl1 just to see the outcome. I feel the 5.0 is a great engine and the mustang is lighter so it might not be too bad of a race? I have not raced any camaros yet so I have nothing to compare to.

5 ltr. beater

....in spacers we trust
Established Member
Funny that they only post 6 times. Trust me there are plenty more timeslips floating around that forum. Guess they dont want to document the MANY high 12 sec & 13 sec passes. The AVERAGE stock ZL1 time as of now is FAR from a 12.1.

^^^^^^^^^^^

this!
i hate when chevy owners cant just admit the ZL1 didn't amount to much of anything . just another mid 12 sec car @ 113.

and when a stockish 5.0 runs door to door with one, it must be BS!

now a few good points have neen brought up here; that this is just the first year production and the Zl1s in the upcoming future should be more quicker. that very well may be the case.
but untill that day comes, lets just admit that unfortunately the ZL1 isnt what we thought it wud be and just suck it up.

i mean heck, ever since ford ditched the old pushrod mustang 5.0, it took them (minus the modular motors ) dam near 16 years to make a great motor once again. and all the long, LT1s and LS1s stock for stock were beating up on the poor 4.6s and 3 valve motors.

now its chevys turn to get smacked around stock for stock and Chevy owners are just gonna have to put up with the fact that a 5.0 is able to hang with a SCd camaro.

5 ltr. beater

....in spacers we trust
Established Member
I would like to run a zl1 just to see the outcome. I feel the 5.0 is a great engine and the mustang is lighter so it might not be too bad of a race? I have not raced any camaros yet so I have nothing to compare to.

i predict the same outcome for you as the OP. with the ZL1 edging you out by maybe a car.

Users who are viewing this thread