Zaino

XCELR8

I love my 4V
Established Member
Alright, I've heard so many postive things about Zaino, I figured I'd give it a shot and see what all the buzz is about. I've been a long believer in Meguiars products, but if there is better on the market, then I'm all ears. I went to www.zainostore.com and looked at the products they have to offer. While I was browsing the catalog, I wasn't sure what products I should purchase. The finish on my car is highly maintained and hasn't been neglected a day in its life, but has maybe a few swirls here and there, so should I buy the "Z-5 swirls remover" or just get the "Z-3"?

Basically... to make a long question short, what products should I get from Zaino for the kind of finish I have. Also, is the Z-6™ Ultra Clean Gloss Enhancer Spray worth it, or is it no different then Meguiars Quik Detailer? Thanks for the help. :thumbsup:

NXGHOST

Established Member
If your car is swirl free just get the Z2 and a detail spray (Either Z8 or Z6). Zaino is a good sealant but as far as paint cleaning or swirl removal, try something else. The way I sum Zaino is, When your paint looks perfect, apply Zaino to make it perfect-er. Although the Z5 will fill in slight swirls I would rather permenately remove them. The ZPC is an abrasive but so mild its barely worth the effort. Forgot to mention, you will also need the ZFX, Zaino needs to be mixed in a small container to work properly, any unused product will have to be discarded.

PS. Going from Meguiars to anything else is usually a step in the right direction. Most products mentioned on this site are a huge step up. Zaino is highly reflective and durable. You will like it.

Last edited:

XCELR8

I love my 4V
Established Member
NXGHOST said:
If your car is swirl free just get the Z2 and a detail spray (Either Z8 or Z6). Zaino is a good sealant but as far as paint cleaning or swirl removal, try something else. The way I sum Zaino is, When your paint looks perfect, apply Zaino to make it perfect-er. Although the Z5 will fill in slight swirls I would rather permenately remove them. The ZPC is an abrasive but so mild its barely worth the effort. Forgot to mention, you will also need the ZFX, Zaino needs to be mixed in a small container to work properly, any unused product will have to be discarded.

PS. Going from Meguiars to anything else is usually a step in the right direction. Most products mentioned on this site are a huge step up. Zaino is highly reflective and durable. You will like it.

So I need to use the ZPC to remove the swirls, but I'll need to mix it with ZFX in order for it to work? What do you mean, the unused portion will be no good after it's mixed. So after I pay $12.95 for the ZPC and $19.95 for the ZFX, it's junk when I'm done? That doesn't sound good. Also, you say the ZPC is hardly worth the effort... so should I use something else? I only have a few swirls, but I agree with you when you say you'd rather remove them then cover them up. Thanks again

NXGHOST

Established Member
ZFX is an activator for the Z2. Basically before you use Zaino you use these small bottles and put in a certain amount of the Z2. Then you put in a few drops of the zfx and mix it up. With that small amount mixed you must do your car. When your done your car and you mixed to much, you have to throw it out. After several uses you will get a better idea of how much you need and be more efficent. The ZPC does not require this activator. Now keep in mind that 8oz Zaino Z2 will basically cost $33. Without seing your swirls its hard to make a recommendation. Popular swirl remover products are Poorboys SSR series. Are you doing this all by hand?

XCELR8

I love my 4V
Established Member
NXGHOST said:
ZFX is an activator for the Z2. Basically before you use Zaino you use these small bottles and put in a certain amount of the Z2. Then you put in a few drops of the zfx and mix it up. With that small amount mixed you must do your car. When your done your car and you mixed to much, you have to throw it out. After several uses you will get a better idea of how much you need and be more efficent. The ZPC does not require this activator. Now keep in mind that 8oz Zaino Z2 will basically cost $33. Without seing your swirls its hard to make a recommendation. Popular swirl remover products are Poorboys SSR series. Are you doing this all by hand?

So does Zaino come in a kit with these little bottles that I'll need to do the mixing? My swirls are VERY light and hardly noticable. They can only be seen under very bright sunlight. I do most of my work by hand, however I do have a Craftsman orbital buffer that I use every once in a while also. Is Zaino better done with a buffer? Also, is it true that with the more layers of Zaino, the better the finish will look?

XCELR8

I love my 4V
Established Member
trance_in_miami said:
no i dont think they come with those little bottles to mix ..

Thanks, I guess that's the least of my worries anyways... What's a good "system" to use when it comes to mixing?

I'm going to order the:
ZFX Flash Cure Accelerator Additive
Z-2 PRO Show Car Polish for Clear Coated Car Finishes
Z-6 Ultra Clean Gloss Enhancer Spray
Zaino Custom Polish Applicator

I assume I can buff off with a micro-fiber. If I need to a swirl remover, I think I'll go with a cheaper "over-the-counter" swirl remover...

Anything else I should know or buy?

NXGHOST

Established Member
XCELR8 said:
So does Zaino come in a kit with these little bottles that I'll need to do the mixing? My swirls are VERY light and hardly noticable. They can only be seen under very bright sunlight. I do most of my work by hand, however I do have a Craftsman orbital buffer that I use every once in a while also. Is Zaino better done with a buffer? Also, is it true that with the more layers of Zaino, the better the finish will look?

If your swirls are that minor then you can likely skip swirl removal. Sealants will hide slight swirls. The little Zaino Bottles come in the ZFX kit. With ANY synthetic sealant such as Zaino, Layering is possible and adds to overall depth but I have found that after about three layers, your wasting time. Other sealants that are Layerable are products such as Klasse, Wolfgang, Poorboys EX-P just to name a few.

XCELR8

I love my 4V
Established Member
NXGHOST said:
If your swirls are that minor then you can likely skip swirl removal. Sealants will hide slight swirls. The little Zaino Bottles come in the ZFX kit. With ANY synthetic sealant such as Zaino, Layering is possible and adds to overall depth but I have found that after about three layers, your wasting time. Other sealants that are Layerable are products such as Klasse, Wolfgang, Poorboys EX-P just to name a few.

Thank you so much for you help! I'd buy you a beer if I could! haha

Does my list of Zaino products look adequate?

NXGHOST

Established Member
XCELR8 said:
Thank you so much for you help! I'd buy you a beer if I could! haha

Does my list of Zaino products look adequate?

Z2
Z6
ZFX

Those are the basics.

pj_rage

Mustang Enthusiast
Established Member
NXGHOST, resident Zaino expert :rockon:

I might actually try some zaino on the DD this summer. I doubt it will look better than what I'm using, but I do want to say I've tried it...

Going to be an expensive detailing summer with Souveran for the cobra and zaino for the dd :shrug:

NXGHOST

Established Member
pj_rage said:
NXGHOST, resident Zaino expert :rockon:

:

LOL, ready????

I don't use Zaino.

LOL!

I use a mix of Poorboys products for paint correction, then Either Wolfgang or Klasse for paint polish and protection (depending on color). Yes I have Zaino but it was mainly for testing and product comparisons, I tried it on my Cobra for a while last summer. I simply like other products better.

Last edited:

pj_rage

Mustang Enthusiast
Established Member
I hear ya. You are like the only one who has used it... well at least the only one that seems to remember how.

I want to be able to truthfully say I like other products better, rather than taking other people's words for it ;-)

Scott P

Established Member
Zaino is a pretty good product. I have it our the Envoy now since I don't pay as much attention to that vehicle. When starting out with Zaino, I think a good kit to build would be Z-2, Z-5, Z-6, Z-7 and Zfx. You can buy Z-8 later since it's a bit pricey.

Since you are working by hand, I would first wash the car, then clay it. The Dawn Wash is a bit overrated IMHO, but feel free to do as Zaino recommends it.

You can mix up one ounce of Z-5 with the required drops of Zfx. You get three(or four) mixing bottles with the Zfx package. The directions are quite clear on how to mix. Get yourself a foam applicator, preferably one of the Viking Handi-Grip ones from K-Mart or AutoZone. Plenty of people use the Zaino-supplied ones, but I like the foam ones better. Your one ounce of product mixture should be good for three coats. Apply a real thin (like you can barely see them) coat on the entire car and let dry for 20 minutes or so. Buff off residue with a MF towel. Repeat the process two more times with the remaining mixture. Be sure to thoroughly wash out the mixing bottle so you can use it again. Give it a quick wipedown with Z6 and leave the car in the garage overnight.

The next day, repeat the above process with Z-2. You can do a Z-6 wipedown between coats, but that is optional. After the three coats have been applied and removed, a final wipedown with Z-6 is always a nice touch.

Zaino supplies good, soid directions with their orders and you can also find those directions on their website.

notfastenuf

vertias y aequitas
Established Member
Love Zaino products, and like everyone else said - durable and long lasting IMO. The detail spray is outstanding (and smells nice, lol).

96redvette

god my car is slow
Established Member
zaino sounds good, but it is too damn complicated...... whatever happend to polish, sealer, and wax....???? the z-1 z-2 crap is too confusing, if they labeled their products better, i might use them but i think i will just stick with poorboys

Juiced-03

Established Member
I'd recommend Zaino to the person who has paint in very good shape, and just wants excellent protection for months to come. It's a little more involved than most other products (actually a lot more lol) but it will provide up to 6 months of durability.

If you don't want to detail your car every other month or so, Zaino might be a good choice. If you don't mind detailing often and desire a wetter and deeper finish, you might want to look into other products. Zaino is also a good product to use in the winter when it might be too cold or wet to detail. In the summer you can use your normal products more often. With all of that said, I still don't use Zaino, but I know many people on here do so I try not to put it down too much ;-)

Last edited:

NXGHOST

Established Member
Juiced-03 said:
I'd recommend Zaino to the person who has paint in very good shape, and just wants excellent protection for months to come. It's a little more involved than most other products (actually a lot more lol) but it will provide up to 6 months of durability.

If you don't want to detail your car every other month or so, Zaino might be a good choice. If you don't mind detailing often and desire a wetter and deeper finish, you might want to look into other products. Zaino is also a good product to use in the winter when it might be too cold or wet to detail. In the summer you can use your normal products more often. With all of that said, I still don't use Zaino, but I know many people on here do so I try not to put it down too much ;-)

I find durability over-rated. Who waits 6 months between details!? lol. Not just that, but who can possibly keep their paintwork flawless for that period. Even protected paint will swirl and stain.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread