Z06 forum Good/Bad/Ugly

03yellow

Established Member
I was over on the Z06 forum.

The good news: most of the of the vette owners are impressed with the internals on the cobras and respect our cars.

The bad news: they are running low times with much lower hp.

The ugly: some Z06 drivers refer to themselfs as pilots.

At 42 years old I made the right decision in buying a Cobra over a Z06.
I'm so glad I not middle age man who "PILOTS" his car.

Snkbyte

I'm the cream of the crop
Established Member
Originally posted by 03yellow
I was over on the Z06 forum.

The good news: most of the of the vette owners are impressed with the internals on the cobras and respect our cars.

The bad news: they are running low times with much lower hp.

The ugly: some Z06 drivers refer to themselfs as pilots.

At 42 years old I made the right decision in buying a Cobra over a Z06.
I'm so glad I not middle age man who "PILOTS" his car.

Some of those guys are pretty bad. As far as them running low et's with less hp thats what happens when your car weigh's under 3,100 pounds.

Bob Cosby

Established Member
In stock form, the Z06 has a signficantly better power-to-weight ratio than the Cobra. Also, based on what I've read/seen, it is quite a bit easier to get an agressive, sub 1.9x second 60 ft launch on stock tires with the Z06 - greatly helping 1/4 mile times.

I came very, very close to getting a 2002/2003 Z06 vice my new 04 Cobra. They are awesome cars.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm anxiously waiting to see the new Z06 at the New York auto show in January. If it does end up with 500 horses it is going to be evil quick when it only has to push 3100 pounds or so.

Silver 03 Cobra

The overwhelming majority of members on that board are cool and the percentage of asshats is a lot lower than any other board even this one. Most are conservative and support our president. You would be surprised the average age of Z owners. I've seen a few polls and there are a lot in the 20-30 range.

03yellow

Established Member
Yea most were pretty cool. Their forum was very positive. Lots of track(scca) racers.
I wish I could say the same for most of the SS and TA owners I have met. Not all GMers are the same

Originally posted by Silver03Snake
The overwhelming majority of members on that board are cool and the percentage of asshats is a lot lower than any other board even this one. Most are conservative and support our president. You would be surprised the average age of Z owners. I've seen a few polls and there are a lot in the 20-30 range.

Last edited:

jtb

Established Member
Everytime I see what looks to be an 03/4 Cobra coming towards me (or behind) I get excited. The car rocks and I think the Z and the Cobra are two different beasts. Wouldn't we all love to own both!:rockon:

Zapper

Established Member
Z06 Pilots

Hi

I have an 03 10th convertible that I bought because of the buzz on the Z06 forum. I do have an 02 Z06 and am looking forward to the newer C6 Z06 with great anticipation. The Z06 is a terrific all around performance car. Very different to the Cobra. Both are in my stable and I will probably get another Cobra down the road.

The avatars signatures are assigned according to the number of posts you make on the forum. I believe you become a "pilot" after 500 posts. Thats all that means. We do not call ourselves Z06 pilots - it is simply a term given to a member, by the bulletin board software after so many posts. After a thousand posts it changes and after 5000 posts it changes. Hope that clears up the pilot thing.

Enjoy your cars !:rockon:

Chucko

Palindrome
Established Member
Originally posted by jtb
Everytime I see what looks to be an 03/4 Cobra coming towards me (or behind) I get excited. The car rocks and I think the Z and the Cobra are two different beasts. Wouldn't we all love to own both!:rockon:

I agree - two totally different cars. each excellent at what they do.

The Z06 has a great power to weight ratio, great handling, is a two seater and carries more of an exotic price tag. The Z06 enjoys good aftermrket support but you have to spend some serious dollars to add serious HP over stock.

The Cobra has a great power per dollar ratio, good handling, is a 4 seater, and nicely carries on the "Pony Car" tradition, but is less refined in some areas than the Z06. The Cobra enjoys excellent aftermarket support and adding serious HP to the stock configuration is easy and is relatively inexpensive.

In other words, I can add $2-$3k in mods to the $31k that I spent for my Cobra and pretty much kick butt at the dragstrip over any but the most seriously modded Z06, and I'll still be thousands of dollars ahead over what the Z06 cost.

Autocross, however, is a totally different matter. The Z06 owns me there no matter what I do. Open track events stock to stock the Z06 wins, but the Cobra can come out ahead with a few $k of the right mods.

They are different cars with different design philosophies. They each hit their target very well.

Most drivers of both cars are cool, but there are few buttwads in each camp.

Viper owners, on the other hand...:bash:

Peace...:coolman:

RDSZ

600+HP
Established Member
I feel very happy with my cobra, tons of HP and TQ and can put my two kids on the back seat and then head to the track for some quick ET. I like the Z06 but maybe Ill get one when I get older

RDSZ

600+HP
Established Member
I feel very happy with my cobra, tons of HP and TQ and can put my two kids on the back seat and then head to the track for some quick ET. I like the Z06 but maybe Ill get one when I get older

jdk

No fun til someone dies
Established Member
I would have to say Chucko's post is spot on. The guys over at the corvette forums were always very positive and helpful when I had my z06. Any time any one brought up the word 'Cobra' you would see kudos given to the Cobra.

jasil

Established Member
Nope ya can't Chucko!! Did you watch the video between the pullied cobra vert dynoing @492rwhp vs a Z06 with a 100 shot? What was that 8 car lengths the Z06 won bye?

The Cobra is the best 4 person sports car out hands down, but the Z06 is a better sports car hands down.

Lighter, handles better, brakes better, better top speed, the only thing that is equal or lesser is power which can more than be made up for with a 100 or 150 shot.

When that happens you need a KB etc to keep and still won't be equal in any of the other categories.

I know alot of vette owners that respect the power, but in the same sentence will say "They don't handle, brake, etc like a Z06" " What about those halfshafts always breaking" " They've got power, but they are heavy"..

With all of that being said it's still much cheaper new vs new....and if you need 4 seat occupancy at times there is only 1 choice.

Sport The War

Established Member
i dont see how you can really compare the two, one's a 4 seater, the other's a full blooded sports car, two different cars, the SVT Cobra OWns "The Coupe" where the Z06 Owns the "American Sports Car" both are very hot blooded american cars, GM made a mistake with the GTO.. i hope that gets fixed, GM lost a lot of support when it broke that was an austrailian version.

Last edited:

Chucko

Palindrome
Established Member
Originally posted by jasil
Nope ya can't Chucko!! Did you watch the video between the pullied cobra vert dynoing @492rwhp vs a Z06 with a 100 shot? What was that 8 car lengths the Z06 won bye?

This is not what I was talking about at all. I personally consider NOS to be a BS MOD. I'll never run it, and don't really think much of the folks that do. Again, this is my just my personal opinion, so take it however you want.

I'm talking real mods, ones that perform whenever you put your foot down. Mods that work on open track, autocross, or dragstrip.

With NOS, once your bottle is empty, you aint got nothin but excuses.

Peace...:coolman:

jasil

Established Member
Chucko, how about going to Cartek and getting there GX3 cam/head combo? The cam alone has consistantly put down 390-405rwhp...just the cam. Add heads you can easily see 450rwhp with the extreme heads putting down close to 500rwhp.

They have more than a few H/C Z06's trapping 125mph and up. The best is trapping almost 135 and running low 10's.

I will say this much once you put on a KB, Eaton with N2o, PC, Whipple and push 600rwhp it becomes much harder for a Ls1 based car to keep up.

Go to Corvetteforum or Z06vette and see what a Z06 with forged internals can do. Do a search for OpticZ06 he has quite a few videos rolling around too.

He used to own a KB cobra and did a write up after he first put a blower on the Z06. It was pretty much the Z06 rules. Now the car has forged stock displacement motor with a ProCharger..dynoed at 790rwhp.....ran multiple sub 10 second quarters with a 6sp at over 140mph....with 750rwhp...

I think cobras are great and are in a different class than Z06's etc too a lesser class..when your comparing sports cars. I just get aggravated with all of these posts that a pullied cobra will spank a Z06 or what a KB will do. Z06's are superior.

Go read the write Optic did comparing his KB'd cobra to a stock Z06/bolt ons with a procharger putting down 630rwhp. It was about a year ago on Corvetteforum.com I'll see if I can find it and post a link.

Last edited:

jdk

No fun til someone dies
Established Member
I think the strong point of the Cobra is that it's horsepower is built around the power adder (supercharger) and the power adder is easy to make bigger.

The LS6's horsepower is built around timing and cam lift, and free flowing exhaust. When I had my z06 I did all of the boltons and obviously wanted more.

I could have cammed it, but that's going to give you a limited amount of HP. So how about a sick cam, and some ported heads. And while you're in there, might as well put on a double roller timing chain, a ported oil pump, stainless steel rods and springs, and retainers so the rest of the valve train can keep up with the steep cam. So with this route, with AFR heads and a LG g5x3 cam and flycut pistons, you'll be making about 470-490 rwhp, naturally aspirated. I'd say you'd be lucky to get just this stuff for $5k, and you'd still need good headers and intake.

So what about supercharging the z06? You can get a magnacharger for $5k, or $9k installed. A lot of people go this route, but IMO that's not really worth it since the magnacharger dosent make enough charge (IMO, of course) for a 350 CID v8 and you can't up the boost past 8 lbs. Again, you can put down about 490 rwhp for $5k.

If that dosent work you could go with a procharger and make 550 rwhp on the 8lb pulley for $5k, or $9k installed. That's enough for the z06 to keep up with a 600 rwhp Cobra. But where do you go from there? You need forged pistons and crank for any more boost than that, and that's serious money. That is what I was shooting for in my z06..A forged 383 stroker kit with forged pistons and connecting rods and a procharger...That's serious horsepower should have been good for easily 650 rwhp...but serious money too.

But all the thought I put into upgrading my z06 changed when I got the Cobra. I can make 580 rwhp with a kenne bell and some other minor supporting hardware..and still have a perfectly mild mannered street car. To me, that seems to make much more sense than totally having to change the entire engine configuration on the z06.

That said, the z06 makes more than enough HP with boltons to do some serious damage on road courses.

jasil

Established Member
The point was never about money!! The money argument is stupid because you always have people say " I could buy a fox and put a blah blah blah in it with a blah blah blah and run 8's for the price of a cobra etc"!

Z06's cost more to buy and mod, but they are a better sports car. It's not like we're talking porsches, ferraris, or lambo's here. The price isn't that much more.

Cobra's aren't cheap though:

Level 5 shafts etc= 2.5k installed
Kb, fuel, clutch, spline, etc=8k installed
Exhaust etc= 2k installed

+/- 2k depending on variables for 600rwhp

A C5 or Z06 can put down 550rwhp for the same or a couple K more, but rule a cobra in every other category.

I still say that it's not about money. Cobra's rule the 4 seat market.

Users who are viewing this thread