z06 c5 vs. 450rwhp cobra?

ShaneN.

Established Member
How do you think a z06 c5 with intake, headers and catback do against my 440-450 rwhp cobra?

They're pretty fast aren't they? He may even be quicker? Probably makes around 450hp or so with those mods i'd assume? and a lot lighter/more aerodynamic. :shrug:

tjs98gt

Established Member
i beat a c5 z06 w/ catback the other night, didnt seem to be to hard. we each had a passenger. but then again your talking about a faster z06 and your car which is slightly less powerful than mine, so idk

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Shane, the Z06 should be able to beat you, unless he's a horrible driver. They're a good 475 lbs. lighter and he's making some decent power. After you port your blower (and add maybe a 2-4 lb. lower), look him up again. ;-) :burnout:

04Venom

Established Member
You have no chance unless he can't drive. He's over 400rwhp and much lighter. The Vette is also much easier to launch.

sedanman

Established Member
I agree the Z06 is gonna beat you. My good friend has a 02 Z06 and when he was BONE STOCK and I had a CAI, O/R X and Catback we were dead even no matter when we started and what we raced to. He later added a CAI and headers and it picked up quite a bit (probably 30rwhp or so) but we never had a good run again since I had moved on to a steig 2.93/4#.

It seems it takes 60-70 more RWHP in a cobra to beat a Z06.

KingCobra03SVT

10th Anniversary Edition
Established Member
Yeah I would give it a shot. the worst that can happen is youll lose and if so thats when you invest in a power adder. But at least racing him youll know what you need to do to beat him or any similar ZO6.

I beat a C5 Z06 two days ago 3 times in a row. I dont think he could handle the fact a Mustang beat his Vette.

Remember a Corvette is a REAL SPORTS CAR two seater lightweight about MSRP of about 15-20 grand more than a muscle car Mustang with a backseat and heavier weight.

GO RACE HIM THATS WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT MAN. ITS A CHALLENGE! WHO WANTS TO RACE SOMETHING THEY KNOW THEY CAN BEAT. WASTE OF GAS AND TIME.

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
Yeah, not sure why so many think its a automatic loss here. With those mods, I would expect the Z to be around the 400rwhp mark (could be wrong here). With your HP advantage, and his weight advantage, I would expect this to be a drivers race. :shrug: However, if he has a cam its over......

Last edited:

Steeda30

Clearance Clarence
Established Member
It'll be a very close race.

For comparison, with my 490 RWHP I am a hair faster than 430 RWHP H/C/I FRC's and the two H/C/I Z06's I've ran.

Last edited:

GodStang

Established Member
We had a 2002 Z06 with a Vararam, Headers, catback and a VERY skilled driver lose by a car length or 2 to a 2003 SVT Cobra with 382rwhp (SAE) on the high way. The guy in the cobra is decent skill.

sedanman

Established Member
Godstang that would have had to be a very poor running Z06. Like I figure it takes 60 or so more rwhp to carry the extra weight of the cobra past the Z06. Atleast this has been my experience with all the runs between vettes and cobras that we have setup.

Steeda30

Clearance Clarence
Established Member
GodStang said:
We had a 2002 Z06 with a Vararam, Headers, catback and a VERY skilled driver lose by a car length or 2 to a 2003 SVT Cobra with 382rwhp (SAE) on the high way. The guy in the cobra is decent skill.
Heh, that doesn't make any sense at all - does that make sense to you?

The Z had more RWHP (about 400) and 527 lbs lighter.

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
GodStang said:

None of this adds up. HP/weight advantage, driver advantage AND the fact that this is on the highway add up to an easy win for the Z06 (not that there is much skill involved in a highway race).

Last edited:

svt99rag

Established Member
sedanman said:
Godstang that would have had to be a very poor running Z06. Like I figure it takes 60 or so more rwhp to carry the extra weight of the cobra past the Z06. Atleast this has been my experience with all the runs between vettes and cobras that we have setup.
The Z06 Godstang is talking about the guy was running low 12's trapping around 118mph. I raced him from a dig (and I had a 350lb passenger) and I took him by a couple cars. We ran from a roll and I barely pulled on him. Those were all with the vararam and catback. He installed longtubes and from a roll race he barely pulled on me after I hit 4th. And for the record, at the tim my car was putting down 388hp 375tq!

ShaneN.

Established Member
Good posts boys! The reason I ask is because if this guy's credit checks up, he'll be buying me car and I have been looking at a 2002 yellow z06 with only 13k miles on it, corsa catback, headers, shift elim, chrome z06 wheels.

I've had a great few years with my Lightning, and then my cobra, but with the c5 z06 finally into my price range, i just have to have one. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to think the new car would be too slow!

Users who are viewing this thread