Your Opinion

01BlkSn8k

Established Member
Hi Guys,

Need your opinion. I bought my girlfriend a 1999 Honda Accord with 90,000 miles from a used car lot. I test drove the car, it ran nice and looked new. Did the paperwork bought the car "as is" with no warranty and upon getting home from the 15 mile drive the transmission began to slip and delays in shift would occur. I called the used car lot and the Man who sold me the car was in shock. He thought the car was flawless, needless to say he sent the car to get the transmission rebuilt for $900. I get a 6000 mi or 6 month warranty, which ever comes first.

Do you think I got lucky he is doing the repairs free of charge? I did sign the form where it says "NO WARRANTY, SOLD AS IS." Did I happened to buy a car from a good used car lot? My gf is skeptical about the future of the car and feels it would be troublesome.

Not even sure If I can return the car, but I'm grateful this man is fixing the car free of charge. I could have paid the bill of $900. Needless to say, I need to be careful in buying a used car. :bash::fm::bash::fm:

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
Definitely lucky that he was a stand up guy. I'd do him a favor and give him some free advertising via word of mouth.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Hi Guys,

Need your opinion. I bought my girlfriend a 1999 Honda Accord with 90,000 miles from a used car lot. I test drove the car, it ran nice and looked new. Did the paperwork bought the car "as is" with no warranty and upon getting home from the 15 mile drive the transmission began to slip and delays in shift would occur. I called the used car lot and the Man who sold me the car was in shock. He thought the car was flawless, needless to say he sent the car to get the transmission rebuilt for $900. I get a 6000 mi or 6 month warranty, which ever comes first.

Do you think I got lucky he is doing the repairs free of charge? I did sign the form where it says "NO WARRANTY, SOLD AS IS." Did I happened to buy a car from a good used car lot? My gf is skeptical about the future of the car and feels it would be troublesome.

Not even sure If I can return the car, but I'm grateful this man is fixing the car free of charge. I could have paid the bill of $900. Needless to say, I need to be careful in buying a used car. :bash::fm::bash::fm:

It's a machine, things happen. If they are taking care of it under warranty, just let them repair it and feel lucky you're not having to cover it out of pocket.

After the repair, it's a good probability that the car will be fine. If you need peace of mind though, have a mechanic look it over.

Last edited:

Zemedici

Established Member
just an old school, stand up guy. I would continue to use him for future purchases, and as stated above, spread his name around like herp.....uh yeah just spread it around. :beer:

98$vt

i love white girls
Established Member
You got lucky and obviously dealt with a good dude. Not saying you did but he doesn't know what kind of ruckus you could have caused in that 15 miles. Anyhow I think like everyone said, cars have problems it happens. A Honda with 90k is just getting started.

Pics of the girlfriend?

01BlkSn8k

Established Member
Definitely lucky that he was a stand up guy. I'd do him a favor and give him some free advertising via word of mouth.

He has been in business for more than 20 years. He assured me he does not do business that way. I told him, thank you for fixing the car and told him..."Would I buy another car from you....you bet I would."

It's a machine, things happen. If they are taking care of it under warranty, just let them repair it and feel lucky you're not having to cover it out of pocket. After the repair, it's a good probability that the car will be fine. If you need peace of mind though, have a mechanic look it over.

I bought the car "AS IS" no warranty, just wanted a second opinion of how lucky I am. Thanks for your input I will check with a mechanic.

just an old school, stand up guy. I would continue to use him for future purchases, and as stated above, spread his name around like herp.....uh yeah just spread it around. :beer:

Oh absolutely, I assured him I would buy another car from him after he sent the car to get fix. He is a Mustang guy himself and has a '89 Mustang Saleen (White) beautiful car.

transmission slip prolly just means its time for a fluid change, at least it did for my family of vehicles

I certainly hope so, after doing extensive research online I found these transmission to be troublesome, mainly on V6s. Thanks Guys for your input!!! :rockon:

Last edited:

01BlkSn8k

Established Member
that wont happen again.

I won't be buying a 14 year old car again, thats for sure.

You got lucky and obviously dealt with a good dude. Not saying you did but he doesn't know what kind of ruckus you could have caused in that 15 miles. Anyhow I think like everyone said, cars have problems it happens. A Honda with 90k is just getting started.

Pics of the girlfriend?

Lol! She drove the car all the way home, I was in the cobra in front of her. I seen her stall many times exiting the freeway that's when I got :fm:. She is a good driver though! :coolman:

rancid

Established Member
I have a 99 honda accord Ex with the v6 and the transmissions in these things are a pos and fail quite often. What you described is what happened to mine at 110k miles and I dropped a whole new one in instead of going rebuilt.

Other common problem are keys getting stuck in the ignition switch, I've replaced two in the last three years.

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
The Honda and Acura auto tranny's from I believe...maybe..96 (not sure on the beginning) to 2008 were shit. Trust me.

I had to have mine completely rebuilt at 101,000 miles and it didn't give me any forewarning. It's happened to A LOT of owners. Change the pressure switches, change tranny fluid often or with something like Redline D4 and you should be good to go. There's been a lot done over at Acurazine regarding this and we're having good luck using fluid with lower FM than the OEM.

Last edited:

01BlkSn8k

Established Member
I have a 99 honda accord Ex with the v6 and the transmissions in these things are a pos and fail quite often. What you described is what happened to mine at 110k miles and I dropped a whole new one in instead of going rebuilt.

Other common problem are keys getting stuck in the ignition switch, I've replaced two in the last three years.

I have heard from many people that the problem is with the shift solenoids screen. They get clogged up and refuse fluid to the tranny giving you delayed shift and slippage. I also heard of people changing the fluid every 30,000 miles with HONDA ATF, 3 drain and fills will suffice....so they say. :shrug:

01BlkSn8k

Established Member
The Honda and Acura auto tranny's from I believe...maybe..96 (not sure on the beginning) to 2008 were shit. Trust me.

I had to have mine completely rebuilt at 101,000 miles and it didn't give me any forewarning. It's happened to A LOT of owners. Change the pressure switches, change tranny fluid often or with something like Redline D4 and you should be good to go. There's been a lot done over at Acurazine regarding this and we're having good luck using fluid with lower FM than the OEM.

Which fluid are currently using? Also, how many on the car now?

Does a rebuild help or am I better of buying new?

01BlkSn8k

Established Member

Which fluid are you currently using? Also, how many miles on the car now?

Does a rebuild help or am I better of buying new?

JBird_Cobra

Established Member
Wow, I think you got pretty lucky considering how everyone seems to only care about money anymore. I've got the same car ('98 V6) and it has the same problems. Mine slips a bit but its been that way for ~20k miles... I'm planning to rebuild at that time.

01BlkSn8k

Established Member
Wow, I think you got pretty lucky considering how everyone seems to only care about money anymore. I've got the same car ('98 V6) and it has the same problems. Mine slips a bit but its been that way for ~20k miles... I'm planning to rebuild at that time.

I am also reading online that the most problematic transmission were the Accords equipped with the 3.0L V6.

Thanks for your input.

Do you think I will have better luck with my 2.3L I4?

SHOdown220

Established Member
transmission slip prolly just means its time for a fluid change, at least it did for my family of vehicles

When a trans starts to slip do not get a flush or change the fluid. 9/10 times it will make it worse! Looks like you have been getting lucky.

Op glad the dealer took care of you. Just remember to take care of that new trans and you should be good for awhile. Change the fluid every 30-40k miles. No need for a trans flush. Honda is only a drain and fill. Very simple to do by yourself, 3/8" drain plug on the bottom and the v6 trans should be a 17 mm plug on the top side of the transmission. Go to a dealer and grab 4 qts of trans fluid and put in 3.5 qts of it.

**EDIT** just read back and seen you have the 4 banger. Only difference service wise to what I already said is the fill will be the dip stick hole and only use 3 qts of fluid.

Last edited:

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
Even though you bough "as is", in new york every single used(dealer) purchase is covered for 30 days no matter what. Could be the same thing in Cali?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread