Your opinion; totalled?

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Hope they total it OP. Unless they have a badass shop around you, that car will never be the same.

You can get a perfectly good replacement for $20k.

tj04cobra

Established Member
As others have said. You better hope that they total it. No matter how good it looks on the outside when it is fixed and done, the car will never feel the same. Looks totalled to me as well. Take the money and find another one. Good luck with whatever comes out of this OP.

The99ta

Established Member
I think it will be totaled. really need better pics. air bags are very expensive.

And as far was the precentage they write too it really depends on the state. Here in ohio, Progressive writes to 100% at value. but West virgina writes to 75%......

The99ta

Established Member
As others have said. You better hope that they total it. No matter how good it looks on the outside when it is fixed and done, the car will never feel the same. Looks totalled to me as well. Take the money and find another one. Good luck with whatever comes out of this OP.

I disagree. Vehicles can be repaired. if done right you will never know....

firemanmike

FIREMANMIKE
Established Member
I disagree. Vehicles can be repaired. if done right you will never know....

Even if they fix it "right", he'll still suffer from diminished value down the road. If he try's to sell it, any savvy buyer that see's a $20K car with $14K worth of fixing it isn't going to pay what the buyers asking. The first words out of their mouths are going to be "Well, it was damaged $14K worth, I'll give you way less then your asking or go find one that wasn't hit to the tune of a $14K repair". Thats the big problem with fixing it.

Last edited:

The99ta

Established Member
Even if they fix it "right", he'll still suffer from diminished value down the road. If he try's to sell it, any savvy buyer that see's a $20K car with $14K worth of fixing it isn't going to pay what the buyers asking. The first words out of their mouths are going to be "Well, it was damaged $14K worth, I'll give you way less then your asking or go find one that wasn't hit to the tune of a $14K repair". Thats the big problem with fixing it.

If I remember correctly, carfax dosen't give details in the loss only that it was involved in loss. so they will not know the extent. I had a brand new prelude, cost 13k to repair. sold it for 500 less than what I paid from the lot. he had car fax and everything, it said a minor front end loss...lol

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member
I wouldn't ever drive that again, take the money and run. How did the rear lose traction while driving in the first place? I could understand if it was in snow, but bay area, CA doesn't get much of that...

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I wouldn't ever drive that again, take the money and run. How did the rear lose traction while driving in the first place? I could understand if it was in snow, but bay area, CA doesn't get much of that...

We have shitty roads. Add rain and it makes it even worse. These shitty freeways we have with their ruts and grooves make driving suck, you get pulled all over the place.

I dont think those are DR's though, and it looks like the rear has considerable tread left. Whats the story OP?

svtcobratenthan

Established Member
totaled

mani just got mine back from hitting a freeway sign. They totalled it they gave me 4grand more than it would of cost 2 fix it. MY damage was not as bad as you;rs. Was told by ford to fix would cost 16.000$ Well i bought my own parts cost went down 2 9.000$ made 5 grand off the deal hello 3.9 wipple. but 4 25 g u can buy a badass built car and also they might try 2 give u a salvage title no more full coverage. But if the frame is not bent u can get a written gaurantee they will not put a salvage title on it. The only reason i saved mine was i bought it new and its # 226 black 10thann cobra of 386 built. 40,000k.

FORD4U

Established Member
and one thing you have to think about...is if your insurance totals the car and you buy it back and fix it...the title never leaves your hands so it will never be turned in for being totaled car....what happened with my brothers mystic
I have personally done this before and the title never becomes a salvaged title, I wouldn’t be surprised if some of the guys on this forum are driving a “clean” titled car that would have had a salvaged title had it gone back to the insurance company lol.
Have you read these forums before? These cars have squeaks, squeals, rattles, clunks and everything else in them, there are bulletins on the cars having steering issues and pulling to one side or the other from cars that have never been wrecked. The only difference is most of the people who have this fear of wrecked cars would automatically think that from that point on every issue the car had must have come from the wreck. Not true at all, this is your mind F***ing with you.
Last month I ran a carfax on a salvaged Cobra and there was no amount given on the damage to the car, the carfax simply stated it was in a wreck, and the funny thing was it even stated that there was not frame damage, I can assure you there was on this car, the frame was tore, it was a much worse wreck then OP’s and the car sold in wrecked condition for 12,500if I remember right, oh and carfax also recommended to the potential buyer that the car was worth only 750 dollars less than a “clean” titled car.
I spoke to a member on here just yesterday and he owns two Cobras that he purchased at separate times and he gave 11 for one an 13,900 for the other, both were under a hundred thousand miles and both had clean titles. About a month ago a black Cobra sold on here for around 16,500 and it had a salvaged title, and the guy even stated that he did most of the rebuilding himself and that he was not certified or even trained in the auto body world.
OP I am not trying to convince you to fix the car, it is your choice, it is possible but it is also not a easy task, but don’t be convinced that if you do fix it that it will never sell or be worth less, besides if you receive 20k from insurance, you buy the car back for around 5k and spend 10k to fix it then you are already 5k ahead, so if you thought you should be able to sell your car for 17k and you get 15k you still are on top. I hope the car just doesn’t get parted out, I don’t mind if you fix it, I don’t mind if I buy it and fix it but if it is parted out that means there is one less 03/04 Cobra out there.

The99ta

Established Member
The titling all depends on the state. In ohio if the insurance totals a car the title HAS to be put into salvage..... and can't be put back onto the rd until it passes an inspection.

Bitaln

HAHAH I am just letting insurance handle it... There is way too much shit goin on for me to keep it and repair... this was my dream car by far but I think it's time for an nice lifted f-150 i Think... Thanks for everyone's input! You all helped me out a ton

flattrack53

Established Member
I wouldnt want a car that was totalled.Id sell it and move on. Maybe buy it back and part it out if you got a good deal

heffs03mach1

COME WITH IT YA SALLY'S
Established Member
i need a project car really bad if you want to sell this wreck i could use it in my 1990 gt build. please pm me or call me at 479-445-4210 and ask for matt.

Users who are viewing this thread