Your opinion on this 2.2 KB

What is your opinion on this situation

• It was my fault. My negligence caused the burnt out seals

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • The supercharger was leaking oil before I got it.

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

golfprowanabe

Established Member
I purchased a used KB 2.2 supercharger online from eBay back in January. When I had it installed, my mechanic quickly noticed that the bypass valve was leaking air out the housing where the blade of the valve attaches. We 'next dayed' a new one and he tryed tuning it, but I needed a snub pulley because he said the sc pulley was slipping at 5K. He put a 3.0 pulley on it with the stock lower. I drove it home to Tampa (120 miles away) and parked it until the snub pulley came in. I drove it back and Jake and he noticed that the oil level fell to the bottom of the dipstick. He instantly said this was a problem before I got it. Now he did tell me to check the oil with every oil change, but I only went a total of 300 miles. Needless to say I wasn't happy that it needs a rebuild. The seller claims that it was I who burnt out the seals because I didn't watch the oil.
I would like to get everyone's opinion on whether you think it was my fault or it came this way. Below is a post of the entire email thread that the seller and I had. I changed every reference of my mechanic's name to XXXX to keep him out of this...

To: perfomaceautosport
Subject: Other: eng2244 sent a message about 03-04 SVT Cobra Kenne Bell 2.2 POLISHED Supercharger & 60lb SD Injectors #320821725921
Sent Date: Feb-14-12 12:58:00 PST

Dear perfomaceautosport,

I bought this Supercharger on 1/9/12. My mechanic and tuner had found out that the bypass valve on the back was causing a vaccuum leak. Basically the shaft that the blade sits on was allowing air out of the casing where it's mounted. They also found that several of the injectors are faulty. I know that the SC was being sold as 'used' here on ebay and advertised as everything works. I thought I would contact you first to see if you would help share the costs to replace these parts since the SC was not in working condition. The bypass valve was $300 and the injectors were $240 (only needed 4).

thanks,
David

- eng2244

Dear eng2244,

Hello,

The blower worked perfectly on the car we took it off of before selling it. It made 578 rear wheel horsepower with that pulley on it and a 4lb lower. If any parts of it weren't in working order it certainly wouldn't have done so well on our chassis dyno. We apologize for any difficulty you may have had but we question the condition you are reporting.

Jimmy

- perfomaceautosport

To: perfomaceautosport
Subject: Re: Other: eng2244 sent a message about 03-04 SVT Cobra Kenne Bell 2.2 POLISHED Supercharger & 60lb SD Injectors #320821725921
Sent Date: Feb-15-12 06:31:15 PST

Dear perfomaceautosport,

I figured that would be your response.
Why was the blower taken off the car in the first place?
I know this is a 'he said/she said' situation, but the fact remains that the bypass valve had a leak and some injectors were not spraying as they should. You could call XXXX XXXX at XXXX XXXX in Longwood, FL at xxx-xxx-xxxx. If you question the parts as he's the one who's installing. His shop is quite well known and extremely reputable.
I just thought I'd give you the opportunity to help rectify the situation first, as established by ebay rules.
On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 9:15 AM, eBay Member: perfomaceautosport < <email address removed per policy>> wrote:

Dear eng2244,

David,

We don't want anyone to be unhappy but what exactly do you expect us to do here? As stated in the auction, the blower was removed to put the car back to stock. It was/is a very valuable 2003 Saleen Cobra that they made very few of. We sold these parts for our client off the car to go back against his labor bill here. We didn't make a dime on the sale at your bid of $2500 which was extremely reasonable. We're in a spot here but we're willing to try and make you happy even at a loss for us.

- perfomaceautosport

Dear perfomaceautosport,

I JUST got a call from XXXX who had to take the blower back off. The car hasn't been driven 400 miles and he said the oil in the SC was empty and oil was all over the rotors!! Now I know why it was taken off the car in the first place. I'm going to find who had the car worked at your shop and I'm going to find out the truth. Chances are this person talks on the forums.
What I want is to return this item that was completely defective. I don't even mind giving you both, the old bypass valve, and the new one I bought.

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 9:40 AM, eBay Member: perfomaceautosport < <email address removed per policy>> wrote:

Dear eng2244,

We have a call in to XXXX at XXXX about this. I will get back to you after we speak with him.

- perfomaceautosport

Dear perfomaceautosport,

I haven't heard back yet, though I know you spoke with him.

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 10:14 AM, eBay Member: perfomaceautosport < <email address removed per policy>> wrote:

Dear eng2244,

David,

We did indeed speak at length with Mr. XXXX several times to get the full story. We know that the blower worked perfectly here and
on your car while being tuned and being driven by you for several hundred miles. We also know that the car had a stumble in it that
XXXX diagnosed by replacing the injectors that YOU had cleaned. The injectors worked perfectly here before YOU had them cleaned. And if there were a problem with the injectors afterwards, the company that YOU had clean them should have informed you of it. Mr. XXXX informed you that you had to keep an eye on the oil level on ANY Kenne Bell blower. You neglected to do so and baked the seals out of it. We are not responsible in any way for your negligence in this matter as Mr. XXXX also informed you. We are not in the habit of being threatened nor bullied over the internet. Should you feel the need to slander us in any way on any forums be prepared for swift and immediate litigation.
We will also post the complete facts in any thread to defend ourselves, our position and for a true representation of your negligence in this matter. Any used item such as this is sold as is with no warranty expressed or implied. We would offer a $300 credit to you to cover the cost of the bypass valve only.

Jimmy@PAS

- perfomaceautosport

Dear perfomaceautosport,

I had the injectors cleaned at the request of XXXX XXXX. It is also stated in the installation instructions for Kenne Bell on step #54 to clean the injectors. I are stating I should have NOT followed the instructions straight from the manufacturer? I can also show you right on the Kenne Bell website that it is recommended interval for checking the SC oil is the same as the engine oil. This would be at minimum 3000 miles. I only went 300 miles and that was while I was breaking in a clutch. That only time that SC on my car seen any boost is when XXXX was having it tuned. XXXX has already given me a statement that he believes the oil leak was there before we got it. Yes the supercharger will still work when it's leaking, so you can say it worked just fine. But i'm sure you weren't running the car enough to know how much it was leaking, as you said this was for a customer. So you were selling the supercharger for him, not knowing the history of it. I can even accept the fact that the injectors COULD have been fouled during the cleaning process, although thats highly unlikely.
I don't really know where you're getting the 'internet bullying' from, as I never made mention of any slandering/defacing you or your company. I only made mention of seeking the truth and history. But if you feel the need to make a useless threat of litigation, then so be it.
I appreciate you taking responsibility for the bypass valve. That also lets me know that you do have a "what's fair" conscious on your head. But it is quite an obvious fact that the seals were damaged before I recieved the SC. I am asking that you either take back the whole product, including the new bypass valve, and trying selling it to someone else, or at least go in half with me on getting this repaired. It's not cheap, I know... but I believe I'm being more than fair on this.

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 6:45 PM, eBay Member: perfomaceautosport < <email address removed per policy>> wrote:

Dear eng2244,

My best suggestion is to get a quote from Kenne Bell for repairing the used blower and ,I will present it to the customer. I credited his bill the full amount of the sale price.I will be happy to see if he feels like helping out event though these parts were used with no warranty. He is a very reasonable person but I do not want to call him with out having some figures on the repairs.
Mark

perfomaceautosport

Dear perfomaceautosport,
Mark I appreciate your response, but what happened between you and your customer is between you two. I can't help that you credited him with the full selling price after selling his supercharger. This transaction is only between Performance AutoSports and myself. Your customer has nothing to do with this transaction except to note that the supercharger wasn't actually owned by your company.
I have opened up a case with Ebay on this item. I have no problem rescinding this case if you guys decide to accept the bill to have it sent to Kenne Bell and have it rebuilt. I was quoted at $799 from Kenne Bell.

Dear eng2244,

We would offer you a $500 credit towards the rebuild at Kenne Bell.
This is more than half of the $799 cost which below you state that you would agree to.

Jimmy@PAS

perfomaceautosport

Dear perfomaceautosport,

I will accept $1000.00, which would include the cost for the bypass valve, rebuild, and shipping. Or you can take it back if you'd like.
On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 10:13 AM, eBay Member: perfomaceautosport < <email address removed per policy>> wrote:

Dear eng2244,

That is unacceptable. Our $500 good faith offer is our final one. You are not being truthful about what Mr. XXXX has said
as we have had multiple conversations with him regarding this and you. As you can see in the pictures that were shot for it to be sold,
the blower is clean inside. The rotors are the original light gold color as they come from KB. Had this blower ever have been eating oil
they would be stained a much darker color like any other engine component. This blower was fine as shipped and worked perfectly on the car
we took it off of. Our feedback speaks for itself. We resent your intimation that we would knowingly sell a damaged part to anyone.
That is absolutely not the case here.

Jimmy@PAS

- perfomaceautosport

Dear perfomaceautosport,

Why don't we have a conference call with myself, XXXX, Mark (the only person Jake has been conversing with), and yourself to get to the bottom of this.
I just got off the phone with XXXX again and he said that he told Mark it could not of been my fault. And that there is no way, that in only 300 miles, the oil should have been that low unless the problem already existed. Now I just heard this again straight from XXXX, so the only one not being truthful is you, although I think it's more that you've been misinformed or something was lost during the translation. But either way, a conference call would take care of that.
Besides I may be misunderstanding your offer. Is that $500 total, or the 500 plus the 300 for the bypass valve?

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 3:14 PM, eBay Member: perfomaceautosport < <email address removed per policy>> wrote:

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 4:09 PM, David Spoor <[email protected]> wrote:
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "eBay Member: perfomaceautosport" <[email protected]>
Date: Feb 22, 2012 4:46 PM
Subject: Re: Details about item: eng2244 sent a message about 03-04 SVT Cobra Kenne Bell 2.2 POLISHED Supercharger & 60lb SD Injectors #320821725921
To: <[email protected]>

Dear eng2244,

We have no interest in a conference call to discuss what we already know.
Our offer is $500 total and is good until end of business today at 6pm.
After that, it and any further discussion is off the table.

- perfomaceautosport

I was actually going the sellers offer and just chalk this up to 'lesson learned'
Now the seller's last email said the offer is good until the end of business day. That gave me a whole 1 hour and 15 minutes to respond. I didn't even check my email until the next day so that option had already ended.

Sorry, I know this is long.... but probably interesting for most. I'd really like to get everyone's opinion on what they think. If you have more questions, just let me know.

Last edited:

lxtasy93

The Wheelman
Established Member
He should have taken our offer of $500, but he DEMANDED $1000. He filed an "item not as described" claim with ebay which we quickly escalated because believe me, you guys ARE NOT getting the entire story here. After speaking with all parties involved Ebay's customer service department ruled in our favor, because unlike this post, they had all the information from everyone involved. End of story.

Last edited:

golfprowanabe

Established Member
I would have, but he didn't give me any time.
Jimmy please post the WHOLE story if I'm missing anything. eBay ruled in your favor because I cannot send the injectors back to you in the original condition.

lxtasy93

The Wheelman
Established Member
You can't send ANYTHING back in it's original condition because your mechanic changed the oil in the blower before installation. Was the correct KB specified oil used? We don't know. Was enough put in? We don't know. In another thread you say you had the injectors "flowed and cleaned" And I stated again, why would the person(s) performing that work not have said any of the injectors were not right? To which you answered "who ever said they didn't" Yet, you installed them anyway? Your stories don't make sense and are twisted to suit your purposes. You have a high mileage car and bought a used blower, then proceeded to change everything about it instead of installing it as it was shipped along with the injectors that were ready to go. You took it upon yourself to make the choices and changes that you did with who you wanted to work on it and what services they performed. I just don't see how we are supposed to warranty any of your choices? And neither did eBay for that matter. Let me also state that we never received so much as one phone call regarding this blower until it had been his for 5 weeks plus, installed, tuned and driven. We NEVER heard a word from him regarding the bypass valve or ANYTHING until may weeks after the install/tune. You would think if there were a real problem, someone would simply pick up the phone? The $500 offer was as stated a "good faith offer" that we didn't have to make at all after talking to your installer multiple times and getting ALL of the information.

golfprowanabe

Established Member
Please tell me what ALL the information was after talking to my installer. I would like to 'hear' this. Or better yet, read this as he then can read it too.
I believe I also said in our emails that I could accept the fact that cleaning them COULD have possibly made them faulty, although highly unlikely. And except for that reference in those emails, I haven't made mention of it. So why do you keep going back to that? By the way, speaking of twisting words... I did not take it upon myself to clean the injectors, or any other choice for that matter. As I had already said in the emails. The installer asked me to have them cleaned, and it states in the Kenne Bell installation manual (step 54) to clean the injectors.
Here's another example of twisting words..."We NEVER heard a word from him regarding the bypass valve or ANYTHING until may weeks after the install/tune". It wasn't even a week. I was actually ok with eating the cost of a new bypass valve, so yeah, we didn't immediately call you. I never even recieved your phone number. But when he realized it was losing oil, that's when this started. And that was not "many" weeks.

But please tell me what you think happened. Tell me how I could have messed it up that quickly.

ImaginationLand

Turd Burglar
Established Member
Sucks man. I hope it works out for you. With all the money you've put into this used blower, you could have paid for a brand new KB 2.6 that would have came with a 1 year warranty. It was a used blower and sold as is, with no warranty, so it's hard to determine who is at fault here. IMO, you should have checked the oil, but hindsight is 20/20. Might as well move on, send it to KB, have them rebuild it, then burn up the road. Crappy situation, but it could have been worse. What did your car put down with that blower?

Good luck. :beer:

mach1033

Established Member
How was the SC packaged? Is it possible that case was damaged during the shipping process? When I mailed my whipple from NJ to CA I had it insured for the full price of what I sold it for.

AlwaysBoosted

What's a SVT?
Established Member
He should have taken our offer of $500, but he DEMANDED $1000. He filed an "item not as described" claim with ebay which we quickly escalated because believe me, you guys ARE NOT getting the entire story here. After speaking with all parties involved Ebay's customer service department ruled in our favor, because unlike this post, they had all the information from everyone involved. End of story.

Again, they were offering a $500 Refund out their pocket. That's pretty good customer service and a very generous offer being the blower was sold as is, no warranties and a month later after the original sale date. I would've been very grateful and excited to get something back, ebay would only favor on your side if the blower was never installed.

golfprowanabe

Established Member
Again, I would have accept the 500. But with an hour and 15 minutes as a deadline, I didn't even see the email before then!
But also this thread isn't to say whether I should have accepted it, it's to find out if you think the blower was damaged before I got it... or after.
This also is not to bash the seller. If i'm in his shoes, I'd be doing the same thing. I think this was just an unfortunate situation. Although one in which I believe I got the shortest end of the stick. ;) I think he sold a customer's supercharger without knowing the condition of the blower. With oil leaking, it will still perform on the dyno. But I would bet that the seller didn't spend any significant time with the blower to know whether or not it leaked.
With that being said, this thread is just to see if people think that I'm the one who damaged the blower within 300 miles.

And to Jimmy's credit, after listening to my mechanic say that the bypass valve was faulty from the beginning, he was willing to give a $300 credit for it, in which I actually commended him for it. Performance AutoSport has a prestine record on eBay, so I know I"m dealing with a reputable company, I just wish they would be open to the fact that the oil leak absolutely could have been there before I received it. As my mechanic said, every evidence leads to that conclusion. But, again, I cannot blame Jimmy for the reaction he's given.

I had actually said I'd like him to go in half with me on the rebuild, but that's in addition to the $300 for a bypass valve that there was no question it was faulty when I got it. When he offered 500 for everything, which is only 200 for the rebuild, I felt that was unfair. Later, I thought... well that's only 150 less than what i was asking (350 for half of rebuild). I could deal with that. Then I seen the email stating the offer was recanted well before I seen the actual email.

Last edited:

blksvtCOBRA714

Established Member
Sorry to hear about the situation but thats why with any expensive item like that espeically I stay away from ebay and make sure I can see the product in person and prefer the sale to be from a reputable svtp member.

imslow

Established Member
This is why I dont buy used parts. I would rather just spend a little bit more money for something thats brand new with a warranty. knowing my luck tho the brand new parts are broken half the time:shrug:

golfprowanabe

Established Member
Yeah I've learned the hard way that you should buy new! Even looking at the supercharger you wouldn't be able to tell that it leaks. So far, I would have been cheaper for me to of started with a new one. Oh well, live and learn.

03cobraracer

Established Member
well i think a basic rebuild is like $700 which isnt to horrible. mine just got rebuilt by them and they have to replace EVERYTHING except the rotors lol. let just say i paid alot more then 700 but it was still half the price of a new one. now i have a brand new 2.2 with a warranty. mine had around 100k miles on it, was leaking everywhere, bearings were going bad, gears were burnt up... i also got the newer snout and got rid of the catch can

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
kind of a gamble you take with used stuff... I bought my 2.2 used, but I think it's ok. I considered shipping it to KB for inspection before installing it for this very reason.

golfprowanabe

Established Member
kind of a gamble you take with used stuff... I bought my 2.2 used, but I think it's ok. I considered shipping it to KB for inspection before installing it for this very reason.

It's true that it was used, but buying under eBay's 'used' parts means that it's 'working as intended'. That's why I ask what you think in the poll.
I got an email from Matt @ KenneBell asking his opinion on whether I EVEN COULD have dogged on it enough to blow out the seals...

To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Reply | Reply to all | Forward | Print | Delete | Show original
Thanks
Just out of curiousity, even if I had driven it extremely hard, what is the likelyhood of me baking the seals in 300 miles? Now remember I did swap out to a 3.0 pulley but I have a stock lower, so at most, I should push 17lbs.

- Show quoted text -

[email protected] <[email protected]> Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 2:55 PM
To: David Spoor <[email protected]>
Reply | Reply to all | Forward | Print | Delete | Show original
Chances are very slim since everything else was in order. Your RPM level on the supercharger is fine as well. If the oil was over or under filled, cold air kit with filter under the hood, no or malfunctioning bypass valve or over spinning the supercharger are what damage seals.

Now notice he said that a malfunctioning bypass valve will damage the seals. The bypass valve was malfunctioning the moment we put it on. We immediately stopped the car and overnighted a new one.

Last edited:

golfprowanabe

Established Member
Again, they were offering a $500 Refund out their pocket. That's pretty good customer service and a very generous offer being the blower was sold as is, no warranties and a month later after the original sale date. I would've been very grateful and excited to get something back, ebay would only favor on your side if the blower was never installed.

How good is customer service where you only get 1 hour and fifteen minutes to accept? And that was thru email!
And as I found out, you're mostly correct. ebay isn't going to decide against someone who produces for them... as my lawyer says that ebay's protection plan is more of a marketing tool and not any actual protection for buyers.
Do you know anyone who has the ability to see if it's leaking internally BEFORE they actually install it? :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread