your home a/c unit ?

03cobramanIII

Banned
How old is your A/C unit? Mine is...about 4yrs old and I had to have it recharged last summer b/c of a small leak...

IIRC it was 60 or 70 bucks
its a lennox ton i dont know ? dont say on unit outside.
its a 99 unit
i been here 5 years and last time it was looked at was 3 years ago, at that time it had a small leak and was repaired .
not sure what home pressures run? i no there higher than cars
you cant buy R22 in less than 30 lb cylinders right ?

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Eh. When was the last time you had the system checked out? Hate for it to break during the hottest months...

03cobramanIII

Banned
3 yrs ago the evap was clean.when they checked it
i had leak at exp. valve which they tightened, i need to get up in the attic to see if that fitting is still leaking.

i might call my old boss to come by with his 30 lb freon tank. since hes a slumb lord now

aaandht

Established Member
Doesn't sound like a leak, but you should really get the system checked in the spring each year. My company goes out each spring checks everything out, cleans the compressor, addes freon if its needed(although this is getting phased out for puron, no more R-22). We charge something like $95, its a good investment IMO.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
I'm was having a new unit put in today, they didn't finish, but I should be ready to go tommorrow. 3 1/2 ton Trane 16 SEER 2000 SQFT of space.

Gonna be sweet, but I hate to pay for this damn thing.

schmitt55

99 Cobra fan
Established Member
i would say 3 years ,last time it was serviced

you need to change the furnace filter every month and wash the outside unit coil during spring.the line sweating is normal and if its really humid the ac will run longer in order to satisfy. might want to change your t-stat sometimes they go bad and run more than they should. the difference between outside and inside tempeture is about 20 degrees. so if its 100 you are not going to get 60 or 65 either.

schmitt55

99 Cobra fan
Established Member
Doesn't sound like a leak, but you should really get the system checked in the spring each year. My company goes out each spring checks everything out, cleans the compressor, addes freon if its needed(although this is getting phased out for puron, no more R-22). We charge something like $95, its a good investment IMO.

+1 the way i try to explain to customers is just like a car you need to do maintance in order for it to run better and be more fuel efficent. ac is the same way

03cobramanIII

Banned
wash mine out once a month at least as for the filter wife replaces it reg. so its got to be the freon. where the tonage on it ? on the outside unit or inside ?

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
The model # tells you the tonage.

Mine is like
RJSC-048MHO

The 48 tells me it is a 4 ton

Every 12 is 1 ton
12-1ton
24-2ton
36-3ton
48-4ton
and so on.

The do make it in 1/2 ton models also
a 30 would be 3 1/2 ton.

Last edited:

schmitt55

99 Cobra fan
Established Member
The model # tells you the tonage.

Mine is like
RJSC-048MHO

The 48 tells me it is a 4 ton

Every 12 is 1 ton
12-1ton
24-2ton
36-3ton
48-4ton
and so on.

The do make it in 1/2 ton models also
a 30 would be 3 1/2 ton.

+1 thats how it works

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
Your problem sounds exactly like the one I had last year with my 1970's era Rheem AC unit. Freon was leaking out slowly and after the system got low enough it would run for 20 minutes / rest for 10, then repeat all day & night until it finally stopped cooling altogether. They patched & refilled it twice in 3 months before we got a new Goodman AC unit. Runs like a champ now.

You may have a slow leak. They can UV dye test it and confirm it...but you may have to shell out some bread to learn more. Good luck :beer:

Last edited:

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
Interesting...Mine seems to run perfect but now curious how often it comes on and off. Oh yeah, 68 at night and 77 during the day while at work.

Users who are viewing this thread