You will win

GSRGuy94

Irunelevens
Established Member
from a dig you will edge him out. He wont have enough road to catch back up.

Roll, he will probably take it. He has a more linear powerband and unlike a 99-04 GT, he actually has power past 5k rpm. Plus 6spd and those GTi's are pretty light.

Dont let these small motors and FWD fool you. the 1.8t and 2.0t are stout performers. My girls 02' Jetta 1.8t surprises even me sometimes, peppy little ****ing car, it spools if you fart in the wrong direction and is insanely torquey (due to the small turbo characteristics of it). I had a neighbor with a 1.8t Beetle, boltons+tune and id say it would easily put my GST away, and if my GST was running more than stock boost on this 14b (put me at 240-250 crank hp) it would still be close.

who cares about track times, especially if theyre running on the street.

It's not so much the times, it's the trap speeds... the OP should be at LEAST 5mph faster in the 1/4 than the GTI.

5PNTSLW

Back on the Saddle
Established Member
just race and find out?:shrug: cant say without knowing each driver, if the guy just got the car he prob cant run it to its potential

OhIIICobra

Established Member
What do you think a stock 5spd PI GT traps? Cuz it's usually 99-100mph stock.

Actually 100+ for a stock PI 99-04 GT is not the norm, it would be the rare exception. I said what I though his car could do. I had an 02 GT 5 speed, MAC offroad H, cat back, CAI and 3.73's it trapped 96-97.

I ran with plenty of stock 99-04 GT's at the track in my last mustang club and never saw one break 100+.

GSRGuy94

Irunelevens
Established Member
Actually 100+ for a stock PI 99-04 GT is not the norm, it would be the rare exception. I said what I though his car could do. I had an 02 GT 5 speed, MAC offroad H, cat back, CAI and 3.73's it trapped 96-97.

I ran with plenty of stock 99-04 GT's at the track in my last mustang club and never saw one break 100+.

What track are you running at, and what was the DA? I had a stock '94 Integra GS-R with 150k+ miles on it, and I was trapping 93-94mph. That's with 142hp at the wheels. A bolt-on Mustang GT might weigh ~700lbs more, but it also makes 115-125hp more at the wheels.

OhIIICobra

Established Member
What track are you running at, and what was the DA? I had a stock '94 Integra GS-R with 150k+ miles on it, and I was trapping 93-94mph. That's with 142hp at the wheels. A bolt-on Mustang GT might weigh ~700lbs more, but it also makes 115-125hp more at the wheels.

Thunder Valley Oklahoma. Track alt is 1165, DA was about 1500 not too bad. Not sure how your Intergra's trap speed correlates to anything Mustang.

GSRGuy94

Irunelevens
Established Member
Because there are tons of people that have trapped 99-100mph in their stock or near-stock Mustangs, so I would say the fact that your ~250rwhp GT couldn't trap more than 3-4mph higher than my Integra says that there was something wrong with your car/driving. Hence the power/weight comparison ;-). 96-97mph is bolt-on NPI GT territory, a PI GT should have absolutely no problem hitting 100mph with those mods.

OhIIICobra

Established Member
Because there are tons of people that have trapped 99-100mph in their stock or near-stock Mustangs, so I would say the fact that your ~250rwhp GT couldn't trap more than 3-4mph higher than my Integra says that there was something wrong with your car/driving. Hence the power/weight comparison ;-). 96-97mph is bolt-on NPI GT territory, a PI GT should have absolutely no problem hitting 100mph with those mods.

Whatever dude. I anticipated you would go there with the driving or something wrong with the car bit. I still say :bs: to the "tons of people" trapping 100 in a stock 99-04 GT. MPH in the quarter doesn't have much to do with driving skill, posting a low ET does.

Guess there was something wrong with all the other 99-04's I ran with at Thunder Valley when I had my 02 GT.:rolleyes: I'm sure you'll say that clicking off 13's bone stock in a 99-04 on street tires is the norm as well for "tons of people".

GSRGuy94

Irunelevens
Established Member
Nope... but what did you run? And yes I know that E/T matters more than trap, but they still go basically hand-in-hand when you're talking about a mild bolt-on N/A RWD car on regular street tires. And trapping 96-97mph in a bolt-on GT isn't good. As far as people trapping near 100 stock or very close to it, I'm not the only one that seems to think it's fairly routine;

I hope you guys are joking....

2011 GTI's run high 14's @ 95 and are rated 200hp at the crank. You should be in the high 13's @ 100+.

Let him keep talking, then give him an ego check

when mine was Bone stock with the exception of BBK cai and slp catback with DR's i was 13.8@101........

With my bone stock down to the filter 99 GT, I ran 14.2@100 with a crappy 2.2 60 foot.
Can the GTI do that?

With your mods, I'd say you'll be ahead, especially from a dig.

So yeah, your guess of 14.5 @ 96-97mph is very very very weak for a bolt-on GT.

OhIIICobra

Established Member
So yeah, your guess of 14.5 @ 96-97mph is very very very weak for a bolt-on GT.

You say weak, I say realistic based on real life at a track with my car and others just like it, not a couple random forum quotes.

Tell him he is gonna run 13.8 at 101 if it makes you feel better. You are telling the 2V bolt-on GT guy in the other thread that he would be lucky to run a 13.9 on street tires and he has more mods than this kid. :dw:

GSRGuy94

Irunelevens
Established Member
You say weak, I say realistic based on real life at a track with my car and others just like it, not a couple random forum quotes.

Tell him he is gonna run 13.8 at 101 if it makes you feel better. You are telling the 2V bolt-on GT guy in the other thread that he would be lucky to run a 13.9 on street tires and he has more mods than this kid. :dw:

And the guy in the other thread has a stock-stall automatic.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
It will be a close one from a dig but the top end in that turbo will get you.

+1 .... I raced a VDub 337 with my Mach and got beat up top. I was only pushing 305ish rwhp and also had 4.10's. From a 40 kick with me in 2nd I jumped on him qwik by about 3 cars. By the time I shifted to 4th we were even- shifted to 5th and he walked away hard!!

Gl op- you are going to need it.

Note- the vw had full exhaust, intake, and tune. My car had a crappy canned tune but had cb, o/r x-pipe, fink, and 315's out back. Basically same setup I had when I beat a bolt on untuned Evo9.

Last edited:

GT00STANG17

Established Member
I have never been to the track with my car so i don't know what it runs but i don't see the run happening yet because i cna't get a hold of the kid yet

kingCOBRAsvt_99

STOCK..looking
Established Member
You already lost...you said you own a 2V.

Somebody really has a thing for hating on Mustang GTs dont they? Like the other member said to you in the other thread where someone posted about beating a stock '03/04 in their new edge GT get the **** over yourself. You have a 2001 Cobra do you want a cookie or something? Since I own two '99 Cobras I guess that means I get to have two?

19935.slow

Established Member
Somebody really has a thing for hating on Mustang GTs dont they? Like the other member said to you in the other thread where someone posted about beating a stock '03/04 in their new edge GT get the **** over yourself. You have a 2001 Cobra do you want a cookie or something? Since I own two '99 Cobras I guess that means I get to have two?
No, you bought the wrong year lol.

kingCOBRAsvt_99

STOCK..looking
Established Member
No, you bought the wrong year lol.

iirc 99's with the fix intake often times make more than the advertised 320 crank hp which is still besides the point. This was the second thread I have seen that this guy has made a smart remark towards 2v owners. Even if he does have a setup like he claims in his sig its still pretty lame to rag on a GT owner like hes all high and mighty. Maybe hes just being sarcastic :shrug:

ETA: So as not to completely hi-jack this thread like others have said it will likely be pretty even between the two of you, I work at a VW dealership and have a fair amount of seat time with all their cars. The top end is pretty nice with the GTI and their 6 spd transmissions shift as smooth as butter. Overall I would take a GTI over a new edge GT unless I wanted a weekend straightline warrior. I hope he likes spending time at the dealership though, while the newer ones are still very young and its hard to tell how reliable they will be I can tell you I LOL at all the constant comebacks for CEL / electrical problems from the older vw's.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread