Yo Police Officers, What Kind of Mood do you Have to Be in...

Groovyash

Established Member
Well, I don't think the original intent of this thread was to cause a fight, I think it just got misunderstood to be. At any rate, I posted my previous reply to try and answer the question as best I can. I have no problem trying to enlighten someone who asks.

Dan

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
I can honestly say I have never stopped or cited a vehicle for being one mile over the limit, nor have I ever known or worked with an officer that has done it.

However, I have stopped thousands of vehicles in my career who were out at 0300 hours with tinted windows, license plate lights that are burned out, no front plate, rear plate too dirty to read, etc. etc.

In other words, I used the time-honored and proven technique of using violations of the smallest infractions to allow me to make an investigatory stop. Once I make contact with the driver and realize who I have, I can decide to warn or cite accordingly and get them on their way.

If I find more, then I can escalate the level of the detention and narrow the scope of my investigation.

Afterall, isn't "crime fighting" what you want us to do? Just in case you don't know, that's what crime fighting is all about, pro-actively dealing with the criminal element rather than driving from cold call to cold call taking paper, writing reports and watching the crime stats climb at the same rate as the complaints that pile in from the public demanding we do something.

BTW - Yes, police departments do receive complaints concerning the tint on windows and plate covers, also complaints on all those healthy-looking people who park in the handicap spots, etc. If you can name it, the day shift supervisors have heard it all, I know, I worked that post for many years.

Bottom line is police departments are public service organizations. We will respond to just about any complaint from the public we serve. If the only complaints we have are to stop people violating crosswalk statutes, we will attack that problem with special enforcement. If burglaries are on the rise in an area, we will concentrate our efforts there. If we get complaints on handicap parking violators, we will address it. if you don't complain or notify us of a problem, you shouldn't expect us to find it on or own.

This doesn't mean we are not takingcare of tons of other problems, it only means the officer who stops you might be on special assignment addressing someone else's problem. If you are not part of the problem, try being part of the solution and if the officer is not professional and polite, speak with his supervisor. The supervisor will gladly listen to you since he needs the feedback to help him grow his staff's level of professionalism or address the lack thereof.

You might also try calling if you are treated fairly and the officer does a good job of "selling" the contact, afterall, we would enjoy a little positive reinforcement too.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
I'll take the blame for spinning this thread up, however sometimes this type of thread helps many people see both sides of the reasoning behind what looks like a petty contact, when in fact it could be part of a much larger issue.

99GTvert

Established Member
Groovyash said:
Last month my shift made eleven stops for "minor" items like you elude have no merrit in "fighting crime" Of those eleven, Four had no insurance. Four had no liscence. Two had warrants outstanding. Two were DUI. Three had pot. One had a stolen gun. One was a convicted pedophile with his 11 year old niece in the car w/o her parents knowledge. The three who had nothing else wrong other than the equipment violation got a warning. (In case your doing the math most had multiple offenses on the same stop.)

You'd be surprised at what "Fighting Crime" actually consists of, don't assume you know more about doing the job than those who actually do it.

Dan
I think that was his whole point. Getting pulled over wasn't such a big deal but the fact that he had a clean record and wasnt really a threat to society and then he still gave him a ticket. Thats scary though that 8 out of 11 you pulled over were actual criminals.

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
not to highjack this thread but some cops are really cool and understanding. i got my first ticket this weekend street racing a saleen (i won). i was doin about 90 in a 40 and the cop went after me and the other guy got lucky because the cop chose me. well first thing the cop says is "keys", i'm thinkin their goes my life and my car. i was really respectful and said sir to EVERYTHING. it was my first ticket and he let me go with excessive speeding 55 in a 40. as he was walkin away to leave he said "it's a beautiful car take care of it". and oh yea i learned my lesson, to never street race again and keep that stuff to the track. my insurance is only 150 for my own coverage and i'm 19. i learned a good ass lesson and the cop knew that, and thats all he wanted to get across and he certainly did as i owe a lot to him.

Last edited:

Sai

Hail to the Skins!
Established Member
I really appreciate and respect the job police officers do for us. They risk their lives for the public on a daily basis. One issue that I witness on a daily basis puzzles me. I live in Maryland and my route to work takes me by the Capitol and Supreme Court daily. Understandably, these areas are highly secure with the Capitol Police Force. There are several police cruisers and SUV's parked near barriers and street corners. There is a particular left turn that consists of taking a left at the light, then stopping literally in the intersection at another traffic light. The second light is not something one would normally be used to stopping at but it allows pedestrians to cross safely. I made this mistake and drove through the red. My mistake and luckily no pedestrians were present. The officer was very professional and courteous, ticketed me and I learned to stop in the intersection everytime. Now, thing is, everyday someone runs this light. Someone gets annoyed at me for stopping, they honk or just pull around. This happens everyday, in front of at least 3 stationary police vehicles and 3-4 standing officers. My thought is that when I was stopped it was by an officer in a driving patrol cruiser behind me. The officers probably can't just leave their posts like that but the problem is these drivers are endangering the pedestrians that are trying to cross. There have been a couple of close calls. Any suggestions? It feels like groundhog day because it happens everyday. Sorry to hijack the thread but its been something I have been meaning to ask about and it is kinda along similar lines to the original thread. Thanks.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
stuff like that happens all the time in this area...some of the drivers just just nuts or retarded I haven't figured out which....I can't how many times I've seen people make right turns from the far left lane etc....

Sai said:
I really appreciate and respect the job police officers do for us. They risk their lives for the public on a daily basis. One issue that I witness on a daily basis puzzles me. I live in Maryland and my route to work takes me by the Capitol and Supreme Court daily. Understandably, these areas are highly secure with the Capitol Police Force. There are several police cruisers and SUV's parked near barriers and street corners. There is a particular left turn that consists of taking a left at the light, then stopping literally in the intersection at another traffic light. The second light is not something one would normally be used to stopping at but it allows pedestrians to cross safely. I made this mistake and drove through the red. My mistake and luckily no pedestrians were present. The officer was very professional and courteous, ticketed me and I learned to stop in the intersection everytime. Now, thing is, everyday someone runs this light. Someone gets annoyed at me for stopping, they honk or just pull around. This happens everyday, in front of at least 3 stationary police vehicles and 3-4 standing officers. My thought is that when I was stopped it was by an officer in a driving patrol cruiser behind me. The officers probably can't just leave their posts like that but the problem is these drivers are endangering the pedestrians that are trying to cross. There have been a couple of close calls. Any suggestions? It feels like groundhog day because it happens everyday. Sorry to hijack the thread but its been something I have been meaning to ask about and it is kinda along similar lines to the original thread. Thanks.

numbaonestunna

Established Member
huh?

Lawman85 said:
Thanks for your useful comments and hidden cop bashing.

I didn't see any hidden cop bashing... I thought it was all quite explicit! =)

p.s. -- this statement in and of itself was not more hidden cop bashing... remarking on original poster's comments! :banana:

Last edited:

Fast Willy

Established Member
There really is no reason for them pulling someone over for tint unless its like pitch black and you absoultly cant see anything and the front window is also tinted. But I agree who pulls someone over for speeda by 1mph. I got pulled over for going 3 mph once but the guy was nice enough not to give me a ticket.

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
SCMod46 said:
There really is no reason for them pulling someone over for tint

Groovyash said:
Last month my shift made eleven stops for "minor" items..... Of those eleven, Four had no insurance. Four had no liscence. Two had warrants outstanding. Two were DUI. Three had pot. One had a stolen gun. One was a convicted pedophile with his 11 year old niece in the car w/o her parents knowledge. The three who had nothing else wrong other than the equipment violation got a warning. (In case your doing the math most had multiple offenses on the same stop.)

You'd be surprised at what "Fighting Crime" actually consists of, don't assume you know more about doing the job than those who actually do it.

Dan

There's your reason.

330racing

SVT Poster Boy
Established Member
I have found that usually officers with real work to do (major cities...here is it Cleveland) don't give tickets for things like window tint...etc. Usually happens in suburbs where nothing is going on except license plate covers and j-walkers. My brother in law is a cop and he really doesn't have time to issue traffic citations to people who are not causing a safety concern. With that said, if you disobey the law in any way, you are asking for a citation.

**no hidden cop bashing here.....MOST of them are alright by me. Unfortunately few give the rest a bad name.

Last edited:

cornholio

Established Member
OxfordCobra said:
or cops could actually FIGHT CRIME or stop people who are making the streets unsafe. But I guess his license plate cover was going to hurt somebody, someday. Right? :bored: Just because it's a "rule/law" doesn't make it right.

OR, you could do a little research and find that nearly 70% of an average road officers FELONY arrests come from what started off as a routine traffic violation that was going to be a verbal warning or citation. Pick your violation; tints, mover, equipment violation, whatever....

Bottom line, if you were to wait around to have somebody commit one of your more serious crimes in front of your glow in the dark, neon lit police car, your results (none, zero) would render you less than adequate at your job.

An officer that wants to "make the streets safe" has to pull over a lot of vehicles to get the one occupied by the fugitive or to take a gun off of the street. These cars don't glow in the dark or make it a point to commit the more serious infractions that make the "streets unsafe."

I will admit that unfortunately a lot of the officers have a lack of descretion when realizing that the stop involves a properly licensed, insured, etc. driver.

2004BlackCobra

Established Member
have found that usually officers with real work to do (major cities...here is it Cleveland) don't give tickets for things like window tint...etc. Usually happens in suburbs where nothing is going on except license plate covers and j-walkers. My brother in law is a cop and he really doesn't have time to issue traffic citations to people who are not causing a safety concern. With that said, if you disobey the law in any way, you are asking for a citation.

I have to agree. Both of my brother in laws are Police Officers and I have gone on ride-alongs with them. We have gone an entire shift without even looking at so called "minor" violations because there is actual calls to go to. Finally after going on a few shifts and not ever pulling anyone over we specifically looked for someone and then pulled them over. Tint was not high on the list, but expired registration was easy to find. I will say that MOST officers have good intution, and after being on the job for a while, they can tell when a potential "minor" car violation can lead to a good arrest. Most patrol officers do not spend the day looking for small violations. Traffic cops on the other hand spend the whole day ticketing. I have nothing but respect for patrol officers and think that before anyone ever complains or criticizes one, they should be required to go on a ride-along and see the day in the life of an officer. :beer:

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
RTStabler51 said:
....well, I'll try to make this short....

I leave work at 4.30 to try to get home a tick early and enjoy my weekend. DC Traffic is always so much fun. Anyways, I get to 395 and merge onto it, to be directly pulled over right as I merge onto it. I'm thinking...I can't speed in bumper to bumper traffic, so WTF did I do?? I really couldn't figure it out...thinking maybe the cop owns a Hemi and didn't like my "Here Hemi Hemi!!" sticker on my back window...

So the cops walks up to my window and tells me why he pulled me over. My tint and my license plate cover. Tells me VA law its 50% (I thought it was 35%, but ok) and he was going to measure the darkness blah blah blah. The tells me about my license plate cover being illegal (it is smoked), which I knew that was. In all honesty, I never even thought about my tint b eing to dark, although ignorance is not an excuse...

Anyways, my questionis what is the typical deciding factor for you LEOs on the street on pulling someone over who isn't speeding or a moving violation? Bored?

*note: I'm not complaining about my tickets as I acknowledged I was in the wrong, I"m just wondering what is a deciding factor for you guys on pulling someone over.

All Stabler's get all the tickets left in the book!! :D

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
OxfordCobra said:
or cops could actually FIGHT CRIME or stop people who are making the streets unsafe. But I guess his license plate cover was going to hurt somebody, someday. Right? :bored: Just because it's a "rule/law" doesn't make it right.

I love this argument!!! "Just because it is a law doesnt make it right"

Actually in our judicial it does!

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Remind me to find you next time I'm in your area :pepper:
FordSVTFan said:
All Stabler's get all the tickets left in the book!! :D

CharlieCobra03

Established Member
Personally, I don't mind getting stopped if I screwed up nor do I disagree with the premise of traffic stops looking for felony arrests. Don't ya'll watch cops? Seriously, the Leo's find bad guys all of the time with minor stops. If you're f'ing up and get stopped, ya earned it, just like the rest of us.

ArmedCobra

Established Member
this thread is too long already, lets sum it up in a few sentences. Don't give a LEO any cause for the stop. Tinted windows, tinted plates, trolling at 0300hrs, anything. If the LEO is fishing he will try to hook you with whatever cause YOU PROVIDE.

Users who are viewing this thread