Yet another oil thread...

Tarball

Established Member
I'm on the boarder with:

Motorcraft full synthetic 5w20
Royal Purple 5w20
Mobile1 0w20

Right now I have German Castrol 0w30 which is running great, but after seeing a few places that say its closer to s 40 then a 30 I'l like to get rid of it and my change is coming up soon anyway.

The car will get a Motorcraft filter(as always) and the oil in changed every 5,000 miles.

Any opinions on which I should use?

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
20 weight wont hurt. In '01 Ford did this to increase fuel mileage. Internal bearing clearances remained the same between 99/01 Cobra motors. Although in choosing between a 5w20 or 5w30 oil, I would run the 5w30. Its slightly heavier and there seems to be a concensus that if you run your Cobra HARD the 5w30 is the better oil for your engine.

Tremor

NO MERCY
I'm on the boarder with:

Motorcraft full synthetic 5w20
Royal Purple 5w20
Mobile1 0w20

Right now I have German Castrol 0w30 which is running great, but after seeing a few places that say its closer to s 40 then a 30 I'l like to get rid of it and my change is coming up soon anyway.

The car will get a Motorcraft filter(as always) and the oil in changed every 5,000 miles.

Any opinions on which I should use?

5w30

-Amsoil
-Mobil 1

:read:

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
don't be a moron, german castrol is some of the best oil that you can put into your engine.

ItsACobraSon

Established Member
My Aluminator came with an oil cap that said 5w20 so thats what I run. Also I do rp and rp oil filter.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
on the 99-01 you need 5w30 synthetic, not a 20. the mobil 1, amsoil, and valvoline synpower are pretty good options
+1 Couldn't have said it better myself but my order would be synpower,amsoil,mobil 1! I think 5W20 is too thin a viscosity for me in south Florida! And isn't that New Castrol Edge a similar formulation as the German? That stuff is like 8 bucks a quart!

Last edited:

BlueSnake01

Established Member
I could swear my 99 calls for 5w-20 not 5w-30

Read Tremor's post. No one said you cant run 5W 20, its just that 5W 30 is better for our car's for hard driving. But it also depends on the weather too, 5W 20 is better for all around.

Last edited:

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Read Tremor's post. No one said you cant run 5W 20, its just that 5W 30 is better for our car's for hard driving. But it also depends on the weather too, 5W 20 is better for all around.

Car is in storage but I am almost 100% positive that the oil fill cap says 5w-20. I suppose who knows if the cap was ever replaced/switched out.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Car is in storage but I am almost 100% positive that the oil fill cap says 5w-20. I suppose who knows if the cap was ever replaced/switched out.

Cap does say 5W20 since its the one that Ford recommends for dd on avg driving on good weather (without going too hot nor cold). 5W30 is mostly for hard driving but not everyone drives hard all the time. 5W30 is not recommend on cold places though, oil is too thick to get warm fast and can/might cause a rod to spin. Again, depends a lot on weather. Here in Cali it doesnt get too hot nor cold, so there really is no reason for me to change so I only stick to 5W20. Again it depends on weather. Stick to Motorcraft or Mobile 1, highly recommend both.

Last edited:

Bob Cosby

Established Member
My cap doesn't have a weight....but the Cobra supplement for the owner's manual says 5W30. Personally, for a stock motor, I don't think it makes too much of a difference for anyone outside of the road-racing/autocross crowd, or those that drive in extreme conditions (very cold, very hot).

Users who are viewing this thread