Yet another K&N FIPK thread...

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
I am looking for the cheapest place (but still reliable) to buy a K&N FIPK. Here's what I've come up with so far:

Fox Performance: K&N FIPK...$169.00 (+shipping)
RPM Outlet: K&N FIPK...$149.95 (+shipping)
Ninosport: K&N FIPK...$165.95 (+shipping)
SoCal Motorsports: K&N FIPK...$157.99 (+shipping;without mentioning SVTP member discount)
Summit Racing: K&N FIPK...$185.95 (+shipping)
JEGS: K&N FIPK...$185.99 (+shipping)
AJ-USA: K&N FIPK...$169.00 (+shipping)
Xtreme Motorsports: K&N FIPK...$169.95 (+shipping)

I'm also trying to figure out whether or not I want the plastic heat shield offered by kits like the "Amazon Stage 1" and "C&L 95mm MAF". In fact, I am strongly considering the Amazon Stage 1 kit. I like the idea very much, especially because I think water could be easily introduced to the filter via rain/water through the reverse hood scoops (especially w/ the hood mod) with the regular FIPK and no plastic heat shield. But then again, I'm sure there are people with the hood mod and the FIPK that have had very few problems....

Input on vendors and/or other CAI kits would be appreciated people :beer:

Tucker

I say get the JLT also, but I have a brand new K&N I used for testing against my JLT's I'll sell for $160 shipped. It has 3 minutes running time on it. 3 dyno pulls, that's it.

I also will sell you a JLT if you would like :thumbsup:

BTW, My testing results are on my site and the JLT won. :banana:

davbrucas

Banned
of course the JLT won....its your product. i plan on doing my own test between the two on my car b/c my SOTP meter tells me that the FIPK makes better lowend torque.

i say get the FIPK from where ever is cheapest.

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
Tucker said:
I say get the JLT also, but I have a brand new K&N I used for testing against my JLT's I'll sell for $160 shipped. It has 3 minutes running time on it. 3 dyno pulls, that's it.

I also will sell you a JLT if you would like :thumbsup:

BTW, My testing results are on my site and the JLT won. :banana:

I must admit that I'm still leaning towards the K&N though due to the fact that it's not in the fender.

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
The Steeda CAI is great! :thumbsup: if you're looking for the K&N Sean try Ebay and email the seller(s) for a side deal. I do it all the time....lol

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
Blk03SVTCobra said:
I must admit that I'm still leaning towards the K&N though due to the fact that it's not in the fender.

There is no better setup than having the filter in the fender. It dramatically lowers IAT's and will make more HP because of it.

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
davbrucas said:
of course the JLT won....its your product. i plan on doing my own test between the two on my car b/c my SOTP meter tells me that the FIPK makes better lowend torque.

Test it at the racetrack, that's where the REAL benefits of a fender mounted CAI will be seen.

Tucker

davbrucas said:

Just make sure when you do the test you tune for each. This is the only way to make a fair test with your mods. Doing this will take 2-3 runs with one and 2-3 with the other and tuning, so about 2 hours on the dyno and tuning time. Yes, tests are very expencive when done right. If you plan to to it this way I am very interested in the results.
You didn't put the JLT on a car tuned for a K&N did you?? :dw:

When you have a custom tune for any set mods and change anything you will need to get the A/F the same to make a fair comparision. You can not just swap a induction system from a under the hood to a CAI and not tune for the different air temp and volume.

You can read the dyno sheets on the site and see where and how much the JLT beat it by.
I do not BS about #'s. Just ask around.
There are many threads here from customers who went from the K&N to the JLT and are much happier now. ;-)
Thanks
Jay :rolling:

fusion_ta66

Established Member
Are you trying to say that you need to change your tune for swapping one high flow air filter to another? Gimme a break.

Fordy

Established Member
I haven't installed a fender mount intake for fear of the filter getting soaked or dirty as hell. How do they hold up down there? How much work are they to install?

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
As long as you don't drive through 6" puddles of water, you will be fine. I have driven mine in heavy rain several times and never had an issue.

As for installation, I guess you have to define hard. For some people, changing oil is hard work. To install the JLT you need to take the front wheel off, peel the splash panel back and just fit everthing together. Took me about 45 minutes to install it, and that was taking my time. It's worth the extra time. Good luck.

davbrucas

Banned
my car is tuned for the JLT. i will dyno the JLT as it sits now first. then i will put the K&N on and go drive a few miles and then dyno it. they will both be done at normal operating temps. the JLT will probably beat the K&N in peak hp but i want to see how they compare down low.

Tucker

fusion_ta66 said:
Are you trying to say that you need to change your tune for swapping one high flow air filter to another? Gimme a break.
Not "air filter"
Induction systems.
And yes, in order to get all the power out of ANY part you will need to re tune IF you already are tuned for set parts.

This is more true with any part effecting air flow. Air volume changes A/F and temp changes timing.
Please keep reading these forums they are a great place for info!

Tucker

davbrucas said:
my car is tuned for the JLT. i will dyno the JLT as it sits now first. then i will put the K&N on and go drive a few miles and then dyno it. they will both be done at normal operating temps. the JLT will probably beat the K&N in peak hp but i want to see how they compare down low.
So you had James at RWTD come to you or did you go to him?
Mail order tunes are usually very safe, nothing against James as he knows his tuning for sure.

Have you dynoed the car the way it sits?
What's your A/F?

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
Tucker said:
Please keep reading these forums they are a great place for info!

:lol: :lol: You forget man these cars are supercharged....something that might not be a big deal N/A is now a very big deal!!!!!!!!!!!

davbrucas

Banned
Tucker said:
So you had James at RWTD come to you or did you go to him?
Mail order tunes are usually very safe, nothing against James as he knows his tuning for sure.

Have you dynoed the car the way it sits?
What's your A/F?

no dyno yet...next week. my clutch may be slipping but i really cant tell....

Users who are viewing this thread