Yes or no: my '03 Cobra has bad vibration at > 80 mph

Major vibration or other issue with your '03 Cobra?

• Yep, major vibration at certain speeds

Votes: 293 31.7%
  • No vibration problem

Votes: 362 39.2%
  • Have other major issue

Votes: 23 2.5%
  • No issues at all: car is a gem

Votes: 246 26.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

docs03

Established Member
Have the entire IRS assembly removed and replaced. That took care of it for me. None of the other stuff worked that the dealer tried. I had actually taken the car to SVT's R&D facility for the fix.

doc

Coiled03

Established Member
Originally posted by docs03
Have the entire IRS assembly removed and replaced. That took care of it for me. None of the other stuff worked that the dealer tried. I had actually taken the car to SVT's R&D facility for the fix.

doc

That's what I WANT to do, but they've already replaced the driveshaft, and according to the SSB, if the vibe starts at 80mph, that's all they're supposed to do. I can't just DEMAND that they replace the rear end, as much as I'd like to.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
It's a stacked tolerance problem. You can relieve some of your vibration by lowering the rear tire pressure.

Mine is particularly obnoxious since the tolerances are right on the line, meaning when the car is cold it runs smooth as butter. When the car is warm (> 100 degrees ambient) it vibrates like a massage chair. Very annoying, and I'm 100% positive it's the driveshaft.

I'm pretty annoyed with the IRS altogether so it'll most likely be an live axle swapout come warranty time.

MY DREAM

Established Member
Hello, I am new to the site as I have just purchased an 04 CP cobra. I have a bad vibration once I hit 80 on up. It seems that my dash rattles and the mirror vibrates, a whole lot of noises that werent thier befor 80mph. Is their a TSB or something for this?

James

mj8

Established Member
I had the vibe, it was very noticeable when accelerating up to around 90 and then coasting back to 70 or so. Took my snake in Monday had it back that night. The rental they gave me was sweet...LMAO. They had to intall a whole new rear end assembly, in the notes it said "abnormal wear on teeth" I would think that a car with 9000 miles should not have this problem. jeez. They also fixed my severe pull to the right, camber adjustment I believe.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Originally posted by Coiled03
That's what I WANT to do, but they've already replaced the driveshaft, and according to the SSB, if the vibe starts at 80mph, that's all they're supposed to do. I can't just DEMAND that they replace the rear end, as much as I'd like to.

Anyone know if they replace just the differential or the whole pumpkin assembly? I'm thinking of having my speedshop do it since the dealer has already put enough miles on mine through 6 diffeent tries :shrug:

Last edited:

SacStangs

Established Member
I took my car into the dealership the other day for several minor issues. One being the vibration. I told the tech that the vibration only occurs at 80mph plus. He told me that to fix the problem they must be able to duplicate it..and they arent legally allowed to drive over the speed limit or ride with me while I go over the speed limit. However, they are going to call the ford hotline and see what happends. Ill post the results ;\

Grey03Cobra

Established Member
I thought I had a vibration at around 80mph, but it turned out to be my tires losing traction when I floored it. SVT won't do anything about it either.

Wharf Rat

Established Member
As far fetched as it sounds, there is something to the whole tire pressure theory. I had the vibe at 80 MPH+ on 2 different sets of street tires at 35 PSI. I switched to Nitto DRs at 25 PSI and now I have NO vibe. I can't explain it but it's real. :shrug:

cobravenom39

Ballz to the wallz
Established Member
I had bad vibration at 45-50 and over 80. Lowered my car w/coilovers and did c/c plates and it is GONE. Car takes speed like a Porsche now.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Grey03Cobra said:
I thought I had a vibration at around 80mph, but it turned out to be my tires losing traction when I floored it. SVT won't do anything about it either.

:lol:

ranger50

I noticed a vibration in my friends 03 about 80-90 and imiedietly i knew what it was. the fonrt tires were cupped out. I told him i would fix it and took it to work(discount tire) and rotated them, did a big azz burn out in the lot and rotated them back. that only helped. then we noticed that the drive shaft was bent at the safety loop. replaced and problem solved.

hope that helps

03blackvert

Established Member
Check the tires, check the tires, check the tires.

I have a 03 vert with just over 5k miles on it. I had a bad vibe at 50-55, and > 80, plus a shimmy in the steering wheel. Took it to the dealer, one tire out of balance, didn't fix, replaced drive shaft and rear pumpkin per SVT. That made it better, but it didn't go away completely. Next time out over 80 I was very unhappy.

Called the local garage. Real good people, work on everything, field a number of race cars, really know their stuff. They think tires, as do I. have me bring it in. They use their uber fancy brand new road force balancer (a hunter-douglas, I think) on all four wheels.

Not one of the ford balanced tires passed.

I was pretty peeved, having just taken it in for vibration and had them check all four, and have not a single one pass. Mind you, the road force unit is sensitive. They rebalance all four tires, and roate them to to boot for $75.

Now, I haven't been > 80 since then (indeed, I think I've gotten 20 miles on it since November, durn weather). However, the 50-55 thing is 100% gone. The steering wheel shimmy is 100% gone. Rides smoother than a new lexus. The local shop said they weren't surprised, many dealers are still using old-school balancers by people not trained to use them. With wide tires like are on this car they generally don't get them right. They claim to have fixed dozens of vibration problems with a simple balance.

Now, while I would like Ford to fix the problem under warranty, $75 to the local dealer for a while-I-waited repair is far preferable to fighting with ford for weeks on end.

MY DREAM

Established Member
Your not going to believe this! My dealer told me today that my Vibration over 75 problem is due to bad tires (stock F-1s with 9,100 on them) They said if "I" purchase a new set of tire the problem will go away, I suggested all the possible probs listed in this post and they said that they wont try any thing else untill it has new tires. I threw up a huge :bs: on that and they pretty much said that that is all ford will let them do. Needless to say tomarrow I will be contacting someone from the SVT help line and letting them know what is going on. I bought the car new and took the car in at 1,700 miles for the prob and they balenced the tires which did not fix it. They said that its just breaking in and to wait a while. Now that I "broke it in" and have 9,100 miles on it they say they wont replace the tires cause thier are tomany miles on them and I should have brought it in sooner, WTF!!!! Has any one had thier problem fixed? Please list what was done to correct the prob.

James

gabriel

godFather
Established Member
Rear end and Drive Shaft both replaced

Rear end and Drive Shaft both replaced in my '03 Cobra.

My local Ford dealership replaced the entire rear end, and then the drive shaft. Between 80 and 130 mph, the car sounded like it was going to shake apart. I say sounded like because the vibration only shook the mirrors/body/frame, not the steering wheel.

Turns out there was a Ford TSB for this issue, and my rear end was also droning/whining at highway speeds. The new driveshaft and rear end are installed, and the Cobra has 8K miles now, the drone in the Rear End is diminished by 50% and the vibration is cut by about 75%. If I want it perfect, I have been instructed to take my driveshaft to a driveshaft specialty shop and have them balance it. The service advisor at the dealership promises the driveshafts do not come balanced from the SVT division.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread